Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hawaii All-Collectors Show

Pages: 1 25 replies

Check out the Paul Fujimoto tiki at this years show, I already know where I'd put him. I wanna go (and is that a leg?).

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/19/features/story03.html

K

Just got back from the "All Collectors Show". Tiki mug prices were nuts - Leilani's $15 - $25 each, Trader Vic Coconuts $20, Trader Vic Fogcutter mugs $70! Plenty of Coco Joe's stuff, most starting at $12.

The booth with the giant Paul Fujimoto tiki shown above (and no, that's not a leg) had a great selection of mugs, but again, the prices, the prices! OMC Maori Peanut - $60, Jade East - $60, various Mark Thomas Outrigger mugs - $60 to $95. Plain old Mai Tai buckets - $30.

Because of the prices, I pretty much ended up bottom feeding, picking up two Leilanis for $5 each and various Daga "bamboo" tumblers for under $5. The only great find was a blue Polynesian Pottery Trader Vic Hawaii hourglass tiki mug for $5.

Tomorrow's the last day - will probably go back to see if any bargains can be had in the afternoon. Nobody was taking any offers today.

But aren't there many cool ephemera other than mugs and Coco Joe's at that show? I went years ago and had a ball... could you possibly take photos of the other Fujimoto works, are they as cool as that Cook Isle Tiki?

K

Sorry bigbro - yes, of course there was a lot of other Hawaiiana. I saw more koa ukuleles than ever this year, along with beautiful paintings (velvet and otherwise), sheet music, poi pounders, carvings, etc. But the All Collectors Show is not really about Hawaiiana - there's also a lot of Star Wars, Hot Wheels, coins, and jewelry, along with innumerable Japanese collectables.

I'll see if I can get any photos today - the sheer number of attendees makes clear shots problematic.

D

karen is a friend of mine, i'll ask if she has pictures of the Fujimoto carvings. she was here in seattle last month, but i didnt get a chance to see the collection.

btw: way back, i posted about 2 carvings at a bamboo nursery, Karen purchased those two statues and shipped them back to hawaii, those too, were carved by Fujimoto!

Cool. I just always find it interesting when a previously unknown (to me) artist's complete (more or less) estate gets discovered...and in a way a shame that it gets disbursed. My new book will have lots of sketches and doodlings of Bill Westenhaver among all the usual photos of carvings. Stuff like that that rounds of the picture of a life's work is fascinating to me.

I remember Paul Fujimoto as the carver of the Ku tiki from the film adaptation of James Michener's Hawaii, but I didn't know he had a body of work other than that one. I'm looking forward to seeing his other carvings.

[ Edited by: naugatiki 2007-07-21 13:45 ]

K

Photos of Paul Fujimoto carvings from the 2007 Hawaii All-Collectors Show:

Here is one of the two Ku tikis Dogbytes cited above as coming from a bamboo nursery:

From the side:

And from behind:

The second Ku of the pair can be seen in this photo:

Some smaller carvings:

A newspaper clipping from 1976:

And of course the big guy:

Great, Thanks! How much were those big suckers? Did they sell? I wonder if the "guy with the tie" carving was a portrait of someone specific, or just meant to make fun of the generic "man in the grey flannel suit". And that black velvet nude looks beautific. ...and the modernist fabric behind the Cook Isle Tiki...and.... :)

K

I always enjoy attending this expo and checking everything out, but, yeah, the prices are usually pretty high. Yesterday, I just picked up a few exotica and Hawaiian LPs at a good price in better shape than the copies I have, and a few post cards. I did notice that it seemed aloha shirts weren't fetching the extreme prices they were a few years ago, but I still manage to find a few gems at Goodwill & Salvation Army.

K

I don't think the large tikis were for sale, which is kind of bizarre considering the cost to ship them to Hawaii. The woman I spoke to said the owner was excited about having the weathered tiki pair "come home to Hawaii". I asked if they were going to be kept here in Honolulu, and she said no, the current owner was taking them back to the mainland (Seattle?). I didn't see a price tag on the large tiki either.

I'm not into carving or sculpture, so I didn't ask about price. From my photos, the tags on the smaller carvings appear to have three and four digit prices.

HOK

Some goodies from the show, I went in with an early bird ticket ($15) at 2:00 with about 30 people in front of me.
aprox 9"w x15"t overall frame dims. with purple velvet ($20)
5 sm. Okolehao ceramic cups ($60) lg Tiki Loa female tiki, 11"Hx7"Wx4"Thk, 5lbs ($85) Those Paul Fujimoto carvings seem to have an over abundance of penises throughout the carvings?? Aloha, Freddie

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-05-27 11:05 ]

Really nice Ku Tiki. I've seen it pictured in "Hula Dancers and Tiki Gods" on page 177 from the collection of Jamie Dasugo valued at $250.........nice score!

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-05-27 11:05 ]

K

There wasn't any date on the clipping, but I'm pretty sure the woman told me 1976. Maybe Dogbytes can ask the owner for copies - she had 3 or 4 newspaper clippings about Mr. F.

I took a photo of this one because of his shirtless pose - makes Mr. Fujimoto seem a bit, what's the word - colorful? A character?

HOK

On 2007-07-23 15:42, Tikinomad wrote:

Really nice Ku Tiki. I've seen it pictured in "Hula Dancers and Tiki Gods" on page 177 from the collection of Jamie Dasugo valued at $250.........nice score!

Mahalo, I got her other half 2yrs ago from the same vender.
Aloha, Freddie

......together at last!

Any idea what she was selling the Paul Fuji moto carving with the tie for?

F

ah I have good memories of that show.

Remember that Sven? Alot of fun that trip- Arthur Lyman- Diego was just a little tyke.

We were sitting on the beach at Hanauma Bay with Dug talking about this "new thing" called Ebay..

we got alot of good scores that week- I still have some old pics of you and Diego watching Arthur Lyman at the New Otani

[ Edited by: fatuhiva 2007-08-07 21:56 ]

M

FYI - the large tiki with the "third leg" is currently on craigslist out here in Hawaii. No price listed, but I emailed, and got $6000 as the price. I think I'll pass...

On 2007-08-29 14:16, Mo-Eye wrote:
FYI - the large tiki with the "third leg" is currently on craigslist out here in Hawaii. No price listed, but I emailed, and got $6000 as the price. I think I'll pass...

Haggle, man! haggle. If he says "6" he'll surely go "3". Flash the cash and he might jump.

Well,.....maybe not.

Skaal,
Erik the Red

M

Man, looking at the size of my wallet (or lack there of), I would have to be the king of hagglers to get this one!!

K

woops !!

[ Edited by: keigs20 2009-04-07 09:31 ]

T

Holy Moly ! Look at the photo of this event...

Can you say EMPTY WALLET ?

http://www.ukulele.com/collect.html

Jeanandabbott is a beautiful equidistant ride to either north or south shore destinations from our Kauai vacation cottage.

Pages: 1 25 replies