Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The MaiTai becoming more mainstream??

Pages: 1 6 replies

C

I was on a few airplanes this week & one of them happened to be a USAirways plane. So, I'm flipping through the on-board magazine as we're getting ready to land & suddenly I am greeted with the vision of a well-made MaiTai (not one of those fruity ones.....).

Now I'm liking USAirways more......if only they served them on-board.....

& Martin from Forbidden Island is also quoted in here - some more good press for the Forbidden Island folks!!
Thanks, Martiki, for teaching the masses how to make a proper MaiTai :)

Here's the article for your reading enjoyment.

[ Edited by: croe67 2007-07-20 10:24 ]

Hey, if anyone is willing to snag a copy of this mag for me, I'll make it worth your while ...

folks...this is USAirways in-house mag right? Anyone flying on that line can grab one--but probably don't due to the INTENSE amount of advertising in those rags...I don't think I would put a lot of credence into that particular publication

S

Why is the Mai Tai in that picture so incredibly yellow? Yuch.

I'm sure they added a little coloring to make for a more 'artistic' photo.

Since it's the in-flight mag, I'm positive it gets read more often than not by the captive audience. As such, I give it plenty of credence.

The article's mere presence offers the opportunity to broaden the perspective of many people who might otherwise have the (misguided) opinion that tropical drinks, most notably The Mai Tai, are s'posed to be syrupy, sweet, nasty, diabetes-inducing concoctions.

M

I sent them pictures of a real Mai Tai, knowing that they were going to shoot their own- I suspect they just put stuff in a glass to approximate the color, and may have tooled with it in Photoshop as well.

Here's one of the ones I sent them in case you're interested.

Feedback on this article has been huge. Apparently they figure it has 1.2 million readers.

[ Edited by: martiki 2007-07-23 18:25 ]

C

Ah, yes, the color of a REAL MaiTai!

Apparently they think yellow-ish green is more appealing to the masses. But the broader exposure with a real (non-fruity) recipe is VERY COOL!!!!!!

Pages: 1 6 replies