Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Finding Demerara Rum in Maryland

Pages: 1 13 replies

A

Does anybody know where or how I can get some Demerara rum in Maryland? I'm looking for Lemon Hart, El Dorado or anything Demerara.

I tried ordering through my local liquor store but apparently no Demerara rums are distributed in MD.

R

Hi there -
Not sure where you're located, but... the liquor stores in Montgomery County are run by the county, which has both pros and cons. The big pros are that they often put stuff on sale, and when they order something they order in bulk. I've not had much trouble finding Lemon Hart and El Dorado's 15-year in the Takoma Park, Wheaton or Silver Spring stores near where I live. Have even found Lemon Hart's 151 on occasion. The other big plus - they actually post coupons on their website!
http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlctmpl.asp?url=/content/dlc/liquor/home/index.asp
You can find the coupons and stores listed here.

The guy at the Flower Ave., Takoma Park, store is terrific, very customer oriented. I highly recommend checking out Montgomery County if you can!

The cons - at least according to one Washington CityPaper article - for a restaurant to special order something (like a specific wine) it can be difficult: you have to order in bulk, and it can take up to 2 weeks. It seems the liquor distributors in the area love the county-run business because they don't have to deliver product all over the county! They only have to deliver to one location: the county's warehouse. Then the county distributes from there, which allegedly can take awhile. Another con: due to the weirdness of the county's laws, venues such as the tremendous Dogfishhead Brewpub in Gaithersburg cannot sell their wares for takeout. Also, no liquor sales on Sundays in MoCo.

Here's the CityPaper article of which I spoke:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=640

Good luck in your hunt! And if I can be any assistance, PM me.
~Rupe

"Rum will be absolutely necessary to get through this night"
--Hunter S. Thompson in 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'

[ Edited by: rupe33 2007-07-23 11:28 to fix a typo]

[ Edited by: rupe33 2007-07-23 12:32 ]

On 2007-07-23 09:03, archis wrote:
Does anybody know where or how I can get some Demerara rum in Maryland? I'm looking for Lemon Hart, El Dorado or anything Demerara.

I tried ordering through my local liquor store but apparently no Demerara rums are distributed in MD.

Where do you reside in Maryland? I know a few places that might be able to get it.

A

Thanks for the reply I'm located in Towson/Baltimore. I'll go down to Montgomery County if I can't find it closer.

Any good substitutes?

[ Edited by: archis 2007-07-23 15:37 ]

On 2007-07-06 12:19, The Gnomon wrote elsewhere:
In Maryland we have no shortage of Lemon Hart 80/151, which is distributed by Republic National Distributing Company to MD and 18 other states.

You might contact National Distributing to see if they can give you a list of stores where they deliver Lemon Hart.

I'm also in Montgomery County. Not all county stores have the same variety of stock. They have a ton of stuff on sale now though the end of the month, including Appleton Estates Extra, which is a rarity. That hardly ever goes on sale.

Before wasting a trip to any you don't know personally, even if you live in the county, it pays to call ahead. A lot of the branches are small and don't have room to carry even everything that is on sale by the county. You can find the number of any store from the MC Liquor website provided by Rupe.

There as a comparatively new branch in the Falls Grove shopping center across from Shady Grove Hospital that has a great rum selection. I am surprised that it does not carry Lemon Hart, as many stores do, but it does carry El Dorado.

Right next to the El Dorado you can find similarly priced Pyrat, if you like that, and it is one of the very few stores where you can find Appleton Estates 21 (at $116/bottle it does not fly off the shelf).

If you go into any county store, they have two valuable tools that the wise shopper should know about. First, they have a computer print out of all items that are on sale now and that will be on sale for several weeks into the future. Most sales only last a week. Others are seasonal promotions that last longer, but the data sheets will let you know if something you use will be coming on sale soon. No sense buying a lot of something now if it's coming on sale next week.

The other thing is that they can look up a product's item code in their system and find out how many bottles are in stock at any store in the system. A store close to me ran out of Wray & Nephew White Overproof when I needed it. They looked it up in their system and, as it turns out, almost all of the county stores were out—except for one, not too far away, that had plenty. I could have been driving all over creation with no luck, but instead I drove only a couple of miles directly to the store that had it.

Anyway, I'd definitely check with National Distributing to see if they'll point you to some nearby stores.

If you're desparate enough to contemplate a trip to MC, your closest store will be the one in Burtonsville (240.773.2007).

A

I'm going to make the trip down to MC today. The specials looks great! I will also be stocking up on some Blanco Tequilas that are also on sale. I will call ahead, I know Burtonsville had the El Dorado as of Tuesday. I'm going to call the Silver Spring store to see if they have the Lemon Hart.

With respect to the Appleton 21, I have a bottle and frankly it's not worth the money for my taste. It's a little on the hot side and there other more reasonably priced rums in that style which are as good and better for less $$$.

The Ron's still rule in my book, Zacapa and Pampero, in that order.

Cheers

hey archis, whereover you go, could you verify if they have lemon hart? that would be really helpful; thanks.

On 2007-07-23 15:35, archis wrote:
Thanks for the reply I'm located in Towson/Baltimore. I'll go down to Montgomery County if I can't find it closer.

Any good substitutes?

[ Edited by: archis 2007-07-23 15:37 ]

Have you tried Beltway Liquors at Loch Raven? If they don't have it, they can order it. I could even go in on a case if they make you buy a whole one. I live four blocks from there and always cruise the rum isles :)

A

A big thanks to Rupe! I went to the flower avenue store in Takoma park and scored two bottles of Lemon Hart and bottle of El Dorado (plus various other Rums and Tequilas). As of 2:00 PM today, they had 23 bottles of LemonHart in stock.

Johnny Dollar, I'm sorry you got to me a little too late, I would have been glad to pick you up a bottle or two.

Krakatowa, I called the distributor directly and was told they don't carry it anymore. Not convinced, I called one of my favorite liquor stores and asked them to order it, they came back with the same answer.

Another great thing about the Montgomery County stores is the price. Their prices are good and their sales are great. I picked up a bottle of Gran Centenario Plata on sale for $31.99 (Beltway Price $46.99) and a bottle of 1800 Silver on sale for $17.99 (Beltway Price $24.99). As a Beltway customer myself, I was shocked at the price difference.

Noa Noa Time :)

I
Iscah posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2011 8:33 AM

Headed over to Fallsgrove right now to see if they still carry any of the good rums. =) I'll let you all know what I find.

Thanks for the info, I hope it's still accurate!

I
Iscah posted on Mon, Jun 6, 2011 11:00 AM

Just back from the liquor store in the Fallsgrove center-- they had El Dorado 15 year, Appleton Estate and Appleton 12 (didn't see the 21, unless they hide it behind the counter). I found a bottle of Vizcaya, a brand I'd never tried before. It was $46, so hopefully not a waste of money.

Being new to the east coast, my next thing to find is Rhum St. James and some orgeat. Honestly, how do people survive out here without the liquor mega-marts like Bev-Mo or Hi-Times?

On 2011-06-06 11:00, Iscah wrote:
Just back from the liquor store in the Fallsgrove center-- they had El Dorado 15 year, Appleton Estate and Appleton 12 (didn't see the 21, unless they hide it behind the counter).

Actually, those Montgomery County stores that do carry Appleton 21 DO keep it behind the counter. Usually, behind the counter (sometimes in a case near the register(s) they have a locked case.

Falsgrove is not one of the biggest stores, but is one of the newer ones and one of the few smaller stores with a considerable variety. I stopped going there when they opened the Darnestown store (Rte 28 and Quince Orchard Road) which is much closer to me. It is probably the county's newest store, it's fairly spacious, and has a decent variety. As for orgeat, you're better off making it yourself.

That is wrong. State Line Liquors in Elkton MD has special ordered many things for me.
They have never had any problem getting me anything that is legally sold somewhere in the USA.

Across the border in Delaware in the wholesaler in the system does not have it, your out of luck.

If you have no luck with getting a local store to order it for you, you could order it from the internet.

If your state allows for spirits to be shipped to you
order direct from Hi-Times

http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=3&dept=01&class=06

Pages: 1 13 replies