Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NYC Tiki Party in September

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

I would like to host a tiki party in my "Tiki Bar in the Sky" (I live in a high-rise overlooking Central Park) for a Saturday in September, and all TC Ohana are welcome. I did not set a specific date yet as I wanted to see what date works best for most. Anyone who is interested should please reply with what dates work best for them.

Cheers,
Urban Tiki (Ray)

Cheers,
Ray

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2007-07-27 09:37 ]

T

The Mrs. & I are coming to NYC for our 13th anniversary. We'll be there on Sept. 1. If that happens to be the date, we'd love to come by and meet the East Coast TCers.

East or West Side ?

K

Hey we live in the Big (Pine)Apple too!
Look forward to meeting you!

I'm in Jersey but would love to stop by!
Mahalo Bro........keep me posted!

Sounds fab: we'd be up for any weekend but Sept 1.
We're former NYCers a short bus or train ride away and would love to meet more ohana.

Hey - thanks for putting out the invite. We run our amateur tiki bar down in the west village and would be available except labor day weekend and the weekend of Sept 15th.

Joe & Nicole

My husband and I would love to come as well. We could do any Saturday except September 1 and 29.

Love to be there. I'm in upstate NY. Might take the train. Later in the month would be better for me.

I think I'm free all of September.

I'll try and make it in from Allentown I am having my end of summer luau on the 1st but the weekend after Labor Day looks good. If you guys can make it out this way on the 1st it would be great to have more ohana.

Thanks for the responses,
It will definitely not be the weekend of the 1st, as I am out of town that weekend. Right now I am thinking the 22nd may be best. Does that work?

I am located at Broadway and 56th Street.

Cheers,
Ray

Cheers,
Ray

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2007-07-30 06:16 ]

Works for me!

My Jewish friends just reminded me the 22nd is Yom Kippur, so it will have to be the 8th.

I'm in for the 8th. Is that a definite date? I'm going to make hotel reservations for Saturday night. Any suggestions on where to stay? The last time I stayed in NYC I had a room at the Marriott next to the World Trade Center. That tells you how long it's been since the last time I stayed over night in the city. I did drive down to see "Spamalot" last year but we didn't stay over. Saw a matinee and had dinner and then drove home the same night. If I come down by myself I'm going to take the train. If the wife comes with me I'll probably drive.

T

Any A-list Models will be there !!!!

I'm Scottish Presbyterian but the 8th is much better than the 22nd for me too. Shalom!

The 8th is definite. I will do some research to try to find the cheapest hotel in the area. There are plenty of hotels around, as I am in the midtown- Times Sq. area.

Ray,

Mahalo for scoping the hotels in the area. If someone were to have Marriott or Hilton miles to burn what are the nearest ones to you?

Any chance you can make it out to Allentown on the 1st?

Matt

On 2007-07-31 09:24, rugbymatt wrote:
Ray,

Mahalo for scoping the hotels in the area. If someone were to have Marriott or Hilton miles to burn what are the nearest ones to you?

Any chance you can make it out to Allentown on the 1st?

Matt

There are three Hiltons and a Marriott within 3-4 blocks of me. The closest Hiltons are on 7th avenue, one at 54th and the other at 53rd, the Marriott is on Broadway, I believe. I will be at the Mass. shore on the 1st.

Mahalo nui loa!

The 8th is a good date for us to get together with everyone! Looking forward to it!

Joe & Nicole

I just sent out evites to anyone who posted here and had their email address in their profile. If anyone did not get one and wants one, PM me or post your email address.

It will be Saturday, September 8 at 8:00.

MH

so, are the Village ELders of Okonkuluku invited? Mr. Ho also knows several tiki fans in NYC including Jack Fetterman of the monthly Quiet City Penthouse Party which broadcasts from the east village. Mr. Ho , yours truly, bartended the last one featuring classic Rum Barrels, Mai Tais, and the newly found Zombie (the official 1934 punch) as provided by our pal, The Bum.

Let me know and I'll share with the other elders...

mr ho

UT

On 2007-08-03 12:23, Mr. Ho wrote:
so, are the Village ELders of Okonkuluku invited? Mr. Ho also knows several tiki fans in NYC including Jack Fetterman of the monthly Quiet City Penthouse Party which broadcasts from the east village. Mr. Ho , yours truly, bartended the last one featuring classic Rum Barrels, Mai Tais, and the newly found Zombie (the official 1934 punch) as provided by our pal, The Bum.

Let me know and I'll share with the other elders...

mr ho

Most defnitely! We would be honored!

UT

I researched the hotels and this is what I found:

The cheapest decent hotel is the St. James at $200 on special at Expedia.com. It's at 45th and 6th avenue, 11 blocks from me in the heart of Times Square.

The Sheraton New York is very close at 54th and 6th (two blocks away) and there is a Sheraton Manhattan one block south of that on 53rd and 6th. They should be available for $250-$300.

I got a room at the Sheraton Manhattan for the 8th!

I'll be driving in from the Valley on the Saturday afternoon if anybody in NJ needs to be picked up along the way.

VO

I'll be in town the weekend of the 28th-29th and can bring some Batavia Arrack, not that alcohol should influence anything here!

K

Hey if Jack, Mr. Ho, Alan M, and Nicole and Joe are attending,
this is going to be one swinging party!

Kiki

On 2007-08-04 06:40, Urban Tiki wrote:

On 2007-08-03 12:23, Mr. Ho wrote:
so, are the Village ELders of Okonkuluku invited? Mr. Ho also knows several tiki fans in NYC including Jack Fetterman

mr ho

Most defnitely! We would be honored!

We should all be tuned up for this event since it comes at the tail of an impressive string of events: Tiki Oasis, NE Tiki Tour, Allentown Luau.

On 2007-08-22 09:01, rugbymatt wrote:
We should all be tuned up for this event since it comes at the tail of an impressive string of events: Tiki Oasis, NE Tiki Tour, Allentown Luau.

I'm so disappointed not to be able to make any of the other events- I'm sure you'll have some great stories to share!

I can make it on the 8th. Let me know if there is anything I can bring. [email protected] This is too cool.

Ray -- I'll be there (but only if your verbal invite at Shun Lee wasn't due solely to a half dozen Mai Tais)

Dave

A few of us are meeting up earlier in the day and taking the SI ferry over to hit Jade Island for a late lunch and a few cocktails to get in the spirit.

UT

On 2007-08-30 12:46, Tiki Kollektor wrote:
Ray -- I'll be there (but only if your verbal invite at Shun Lee wasn't due solely to a half dozen Mai Tais)

Dave

PM me your email so I can send an evite with the details.

K

We're really looking forward to tonight!
Happy to see the tiki ohana again and appreciate Urban Tiki's hospitality
and the chance to visit his tiki hut in the sky.
Had to prep myself with some rum drinking last night. :wink:
Aloha!

Ya'll have fun at Rays - We'll be up a little north on the Hudson raising a tiki mug to ya !

Post pics soon!
I'll do the same!

On 2007-09-08 07:03, sneakyjack wrote:
Ya'll have fun at Rays - We'll be up a little north on the Hudson raising a tiki mug to ya !

Post pics soon!
I'll do the same!

You'll be missed Jack. Have a great time up there on the Hudson and we'll raise one (or two) to you!

On 2007-09-08 05:27, KikiTiki wrote:

We're really looking forward to tonight!
Happy to see the tiki ohana again and appreciate Urban Tiki's hospitality
and the chance to visit his tiki hut in the sky.
Had to prep myself with some rum drinking last night. :wink:
Aloha!

I can't wait! well, actually I have a lot of prepping to do, so I guess I can.

K

OK- here are some pics from the tiki party of the year (and the expedition there)
I'm way too lazy this morning to write cute captions so you will have to invent
your own. Thank you Urban Tiki for hosting such a fabulous bash! We had a
wonderful time! Aloha to all the NYC area ohana!

Great pix, Kiki, and a huge THANK YOU to Urban Tiki for such a great time! Mahalo!

What a great party! Ray and Mary are amazing and generous hosts. And everyone else was just plain fun to hang with. The apartment was an incredible mix of retro and Skylab. I can't imagine the kilowatts it takes to run the entertainment wall. To end the night with cognac on the rooftop was tempting, but if I missed the next train, I would have had to wait for the 4:20 out of Penn., and I just don't have those legs anymore. Tiki does live in New York.

What an AMAZING party! Mahalo for everything! Steve and I had a fabulous time.

Our highlights: The rooftop. The firework show in the distance from the annual Hoboken Italian Festival. The mai tais. The crowd! Everybody was so wonderful! Thank you for welcoming us to NY with open arms. :)

Can't wait until we all get to see each other again!

XOXO from Steve and Lenore!

Mucho Mahalo to Ray and his lovely assistant Mary for being such great hosts. Also nothing but love for the all the Ohana who helped make it an even better event. Cigars and Zacapa on the rooftop overlooking Central Park at 2:00+ a.m. = priceless!

Ray and Mary - I can only repeat what has already been said several times. Great party, Nicole and I really had a blast.

The drinks were fantastic - that poor bartender you hired - he probably served less than 5 beers all night. I bet your Grog Log is pretty dog-eared by now as he got some on-the-job-training in making tiki-drinks ("holy crap, this one's got like 9 things in it!).

The roof - perfect night to be out there having a cocktail with the music playing in the "rooftop garden" - an inflatable palm tree (nice touch there).

Thanks again for having all of us up to your atomic pad. NYC tiki is on the rise.

Joe

This was without a doubt one of the best parties I have experienced because of the great group of people that were in attendance. The NY area TC Ohana made it a very special evening that I will never forget, but what is most gratifying is knowing that over the past couple of weeks we have started an active tiki group in the NY and New England area that is sure to result in some fantastic tiki events and lasting friendships.

My non-tiki friends can't stop talking about how much they loved the TCers! I think we have made some new converts (including Mary) and I am sure there will be some new TC members in the near future.

I received some great gifts- the generosity of the TCers was overwhelming and only surpassed by their aloha spirit and dedication to revelry (Rugbymatt came all the way from Allentown, PA. and stayed to about 4 A.M. and got up at 9 the next morning!)

Raffertiki,
Your fabulous artwork will get a place of honor on the "Wall of Tiki". Please remind me who made the great frame.

Kiki,
Thanks for posting those wonderful pictures.

Mahalo to all!

Cheers,
Ray

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2007-09-10 06:34 ]

Ray & Mary,

You are fabulous hosts! We had an incredible time. It was great to meet so many cool people in one place! So are we doing it again next weekend? :)

Here are the photographs that I took put to a slide show. http://www.americanphotopro.info/urbantiki

I love the artwork that Raffertiki made. It's hard to believe he is not doing that full time.

Matt was great behind the bar. The pupu platter was awsome. And the roof top lounge was amazing!

Cheers to you!

Jeff

That slide show is fantastic- thanks!

Pages: 1 2 54 replies