Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Treating fresh logs

Pages: 1 6 replies

I have scored some nice Oak logs. These are freshly cut and I would imagine very likely to crack were I to simply start carving them. And advice out there on how best to treat them, and when it would be best to start the carving process?

thanks!

Keith

I'm on my first carving too. I think my log is oak also, the guys on here just told me to start right away. I did buy some sealer for the end of the logs though. Good luck!

Craig

K

No need to let them dry for an extended period of time? I think cracks add character, but I don't want a huge number of them.

Keith

Do a search for sealing and treating logs... there's plenty info in here from over the years. :)

K

On 2007-07-29 17:25, Lake Surfer wrote:
Do a search for sealing and treating logs... there's plenty info in here from over the years. :)

I did that and results of the above searches had a very low signal to noise ratio.

I guess what I am looking for is something like this: Paint the ends with sealer and wait until the logs lose X% of weight or 1-2 years or heck, just carve the things. These are decent oak logs and I want to maximize their potential. I am a coomplete newbie to carving, I asked because I really didn't find what I was looking for using the search function.

Thanks!

Keith

[ Edited by: kgbenson 2007-07-30 06:29 ]

K

Duplicate

[ Edited by: kgbenson 2007-07-30 06:29 ]

I would just start carving it. You can check out my thread if you want, I had some of the same questions you did. My last posting was about 10 days ago.

Craig

Pages: 1 6 replies