Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Kailua, Oahu

Pages: 1 7 replies

We're off to the islands in a couple weeks - first trip for all 5 of us going! We're starting in Kona on the Big Island for a few days, and flying over to Oahu to spend a week in Kailua. I've seen great ideas for Kona, but nothing on Kailua?? Any suggestions would be so helpful. :D

G

On our trip in June, the only thing we did in Kailua was go to Ali'i Antiques. This is from an old post by dogbytes that I found:

in Kailua (21 Maluniu Ave.) was the real find, though. Hard to locate (the storefront’s not really on Maluniu) and there’s actually two shops, one off the parking lot and one across the alley leading to the parking lot; the one across the alley is chock-full of Hawaiiana and tiki stuff. Prices aren’t low, but are better than you find in Honolulu.

We found a few things to take away from there, but the guy who runs it knows what things are worth, so don't expect a bargain. But worth a visit. And don't neglect to go to the swap meet at the Honolulu Bowl on Wednesday and Saturday! More good stuff is for sale on Saturday I think.

Are you staying with Doug Miller in Kona? http://www.tikiislandhawaii.com/ If not, you should! :)

Wow - I had never heard of Tiki Island! How I wish I had, but we had booked our rooms at Royal Kona - look out Don the Beachcomber :drink:! Alas, next visit I'll check it out! Thanks so much for the information, it's been a long wait from booking this trip 6 months ago!!

T

Kailua is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Make sure you do a kayaking trip at Kailua beach park out to the little flat island...it's a tiny island offshore that is a bird sanctuary.

Also, be sure to go to Morning Brew for your morning coffee. Awesome place, free wi-fi, great breakfast, great coffee. Across the street from Starbucks.

The water is so blue, you'll never wanna leave.

Me, the first time on a kayak. Ikept tipping over when I tried to get on the thhing, so this kind local gave me a hand. Summer 05'

kailua beach, Sunrise, December 06'

Thanks for the suggestions! I've never kayak'd before, but am willing to try of course! I've heard that the beach is beautiful, hence the reason for staying there!!

Champa Thai restaurant. Good eats! Also, check out this thread for your vacation tips:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=216&forum=16
When you return, please post your highlights on the above thread. We'd love to hear about it.

-Weird Unc

V

On 2007-08-01 08:31, GatorRob wrote:

in Kailua (21 Maluniu Ave.) was the real find, though. Hard to locate (the storefront’s not really on Maluniu) and there’s actually two shops, one off the parking lot and one across the alley leading to the parking lot; the one across the alley is chock-full of Hawaiiana and tiki stuff. Prices aren’t low, but are better than you find in Honolulu.

Hey! I live on Maluniu Ave! I'm a block and a scoot down from the antique place. I havent peeked in there in years, but I see his stuff all the time at the Hawaii collectors show and I bid against the owner at a lot of local auctions. As for stuff to do in Kailua - I'd say lounging on the best beach in the world would be job #1! If you enjoy hiking - there are several excellent hikes nearby - you can hike to the summit of Mt. Olomana, take a dip at the end of the Maunawili Falls hike, or if you want a day-long hiking adventure you can tackle the Demonstration Trail from the Pali to Waimanalo (you'll need to park a car at the end - or get someone to pick you up). If you are staying in a B&B don't even bother driving into town - it is a very short walk (Unless you are in Lanikai - you'd better drive then). Several restaurants have been mentioned - I'd like to add the Kalapawai Deli (recently opened right at the entrance to Kailua town after the bridge - very nice plantation design - you can't miss it) and Lanikai Juice - the best smoothies EVER (made with all local produce). Ever hear of geocaching? I have an excellent geocache hidden in the depts of kailua bay - check it out here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b228986b-85a4-4aa2-974a-58577307b58f

I'd also reccommend a trip to Haleiwa on Oahu's North Shore.

Enjoy your trip - Kailua is the best! :)

edit - wanted to second the kayak idea - we have our own and I LOVE surfing them on the waves around flat island off Kailua beach. If it isn't windy, pack a lunch and paddle out to the Mokuleia Islands off of Lanikai beach. You will see a zillion sea turtles.

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2007-08-01 16:55 ]

Thanks so much for the awesome ideas! I'm really intrigued with Mokuleia, and especially with the lounging tip 8) So far, we've booked a shark expedition out of North Shore, with this being a milestone bday (40) for me. Much appreciated!! Thanks!!

Pages: 1 7 replies