Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki-Ray's 6 foot Marquesan cannibal

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

T

People keep asking me why I dont post my carvings on here and the answer is very simple . Im an idiot ! Im usually carving for a customer and when its done , its out the door . Right now Im carving for Tiki Oasis and Im about to start to put the finish on it tomorrow . Then it dawned on me to post it . I call it "Marquesan Depression ". I hope you like it , Ray

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2007-08-05 18:56 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2007-12-11 20:15 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2008-02-09 18:29 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2008-06-21 11:37 ]

B

Tiki-Ray, I LOVE it. The guy looks SO Sad! Excellent work, gonna show us More??
SWEET STUFF!

R
Reid-O posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2007 8:39 PM

Wow! Benzart is right this guy does look sad! Great job capturing his emotion! Love the head tilt! Can't wait to see more!

T

Wow, Im glad you liked it . I guess I have to keep this up . Im just always so busy trying to get it to the customer I forget . Thank you very much , Ray

C

Also love the "sad" Marq...and the carvings in the background too. I have seen enough
of your carvings to realize that you know your way around a chunk of wood....would love to
have you post more of them. The Marq has a very traditional look with just an extra
bit of personality. Always need to see more stuff to absorb into the deep recesses of
the mind. Whatever in the hell that means.

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Aug 2, 2007 3:41 AM

Wow! Ver very nice work.

Show us more!

Mahalo

McTiki

C

oh! excellent, really beautiful! Congrats!!

T

I have a website (tikiray.com) but now I like to post on myspace under Tiki-Ray cause I can post them in minutes .Here are just some others Ive done .

I think I only have about 50 or more to show , Ray

Awesome Tiki Ray, awesome!

B

More Excellent stuff, More you say? Bring'em ONNNNnnn!

Beautiful work Ray. I can't wait to see more. :)

B

excellent stuff.
Keep posting.

Benjamin.

T

Here is you 3rd installment of "This Old Tiki " brought to you by Tiki-Ray . It looks by the response that Ive not yet exposed myself enough to the other side of the Mississippi. Thanks for the requests for more of my stuff , Ray

B

Cool Stuff TR, I Love the turtle and my Favorite is the old guy sitting with his hands clasped, Excellent facial features, he looks too real. How did you get his sandals to look so real?? :lol:

T

Oh him , he's just a janitor . He is also the Springfield tiki carver as well .

T

Well I got a little inspired and worked all day and night creating for Tiki Oasis . I havent thought of a proper name for it yet so for now I will call it "Moai Charona ".

Enjoy !!!!!

T

I just finished the tiki I was working on at Tiki Oasis . I carved it there because I wanted to reproduce the "Garden Tiki" at the Hanalei Hotel . Its one of my favorites . I like it so much that it is also tattooed on my arm . I hope you like it . It will look much better after I put the finish on it . This will be a personal piece for me . Im always carving for everyone else and I never get to keep any .

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 7:30 PM

Great job Ray - you nailed it! Can't wait to see what he looks like with some patina!
That's one of my all-time favourite tikis too - #9 "Niku" was heavily influenced by that piece.

B

Yes, I agree with Paipo, Excellent job. That one is a Nice Keeper. Can't wait to see how you finish it too!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 6:02 AM

Ray,

I agree with the boys above....very nice!

M
McTiki posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 8:04 AM

Awesome work!

Be proud!

Mahalo

H
Heath posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2007 9:08 AM

Beautiful carve!

I love it! Nice and clean.

T

Thanks for all the kind words . I love it when a piece inspires you and at the same time it turns out to be such a great piece of wood .Mahalos, ray

That's your best, man. Looks like the Hanalei Hotel Ku pictured in the Book Of Tiki? Very nice tiki.

T

On 2007-07-15 19:50, nicktiki wrote:

Well folks after I was asked to be in the show and saw this poster , Nick Camera , Hassan "Headhunter" Patterson and I did some correspondence .It was then that I was allowed to recreate the poster tiki into 3D tiki form . It is one solid piece of palm carved only with hand tools .It has white pine teeth and wood inlay on the top and bottom to match the design. This is a first for me but I finally painted a tiki . It has a 2 tone purple acrylic colorwash with drybrushed highlights . Then I put on a matte finish to seal it . I hope you like it . Nick and Hassan said they loved it . Check out the similarities.

Now I have to start carving that wahine...

C

Really nice Ray!! you capture him perfectly! You're going to carv the wahine too! can't wait to see her! Congrats!!

H

Carve the wahine?

I want to see a live recreation of the poster!

By the way, beautiful work.
Will you be bringing it to the show?

I will definitley be bringing it to sell . The wahine stays here for a while . It could take years of slow hand sanding before I release it .

I must say I'm impressed on that one, Ray. VERY cool!

HT

Too Cool, Ray
Can we say RAFFLE, I'm sure for $20.00 or $30.00 a ticket, this would be a great way to let folks who could not afford something like this a chance to get one of your Commission pieces. Only a thought..

Brian AKA H2O Tiki

T

This one has me stumped but its a great idea . I just lost 4 days work on setting up my voodoo island Halloween decorations to the Santa Anas . I wont drink over it but I gotta rebuild so the kids dont burn down my house . I give them tiki terror every year so everything isnt all boring haunted house stuff . Ill think about it while I reconstuct the tiki hut .

T

Look at California events /Bali Hai show for details about the selling of the poster tiki please.

C

So, how is the wahine coming? Did you start her?

T

Its sorta difficult . I keep getting stuck in two areas . This could take months . hahaha

C

:lol:!

T

Check out the pics for my new tiki skateboard . I sometimes see people slap some bamboo on and old board and call it "TIKI". I thought I would take it to a new level . I bought some 3/4" thick Koawood and got busy . I always wanted to make a custom board for my old 1976 Road Rider 4's and Bennet Pro trucks .I bought new bearings and bushings and started polishing the aluminum .I then got designing and carving . I was semi pro back in the day and used to ride a little with the "Dogtown" crew . This board is a little heavy but very strong as well . Its not for the skatepark but just for cruising fun . I hope you like it . Now I have to find a way to mount the trucks without the screws popping through . As soon as I finish it , Im going to try a handstand again . I used to ride one for blocks .

S

SWEETNESS! I love it tiki-ray.
Looking forward to seeing this board with wheels.

That is SWEEEEET! I think you're on to something unique. You should keep popping out ideas on those koa blanks, put em in some surf/skate shops. Jealous of the dogtown thing...that's awesome. I'm still skatin' at 43! They just built a new skate park w/ pool here in Welfleet (MA), it was designed by Dogtown's Wentzl Ruml...he's living here in Wellfleet.
Make sure ya post some shots of it in action!

T

Will do man . I just got the trucks and wheels built . I gotta slap a couple finishes on it and mount them . Ill post asap

That is the coolest thing ever! Awesome!!!!!!

C

Uh! Very nice, But I would hang it in the wall, I don't think I would be able to step on it...to nice! congrats!

B

Nice skateboard !! I agree with putting it on the wall instead of taking it for a spin. Maybe once in front of a bunch of other boarders then retire it on the wall.
Looks nothing like my first NASH skateboard ... LOL. HANG TEN More pics plz. BUFFBAD

B

Whoa, Ray your on fire! Choice! Hand stands?....take pictures.

Ray if your gonna sidewalk surf on that doing a handstand, man you gotta let me video that. Might be worth $1000 and a handshake from Tom Bergeron. :wink: By the way I dig the board...

T

Back in my teens I lived on those wheels . My son always wanted to use the wheels and trucks but I told them one day I will make a special board .It will be for light cruising and events . And by the way John , that video might get us the $10,000 prize on Funniest Home Videos when I handstand into a sewer grate and end up in traction .But at least I will go out in style .

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 21, 2007 5:35 PM

Looks awesome, great work

Well , I did it !!!!!!!!!

Not bad for a 46 year old carver . Now I have to go back to my heating pad

Pages: 1 2 81 replies