Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Aloha from Ohio

Pages: 1 13 replies

I'm a new poster and new carver. I was born and raised in Hawaii. Born on Maui and grew up on the Big Island, Hilo side. Graduated Hilo High School in '92. I'm now serving in the military, stationed in Ohio. Where ever I go, I always end up meeting folks with a connection back to Hawaii. I've been living away from HI for 13 years now.

I was ending a tour on Diego Garcia when I got the tiki bug. I wanted to create something to leave on the island. I chose ironwood for my first carve (mistake!). Da buggah some hard!!! I only had chisels and a sander. Here are some pics.

getting into it

Final resting place

I learned a lot doing this first one and I can't wait to get started on my next. My wife is very patient with me. She is from IL and is frustrated that Hawaii has creeped into every room of our house. I keep telling her that I'll put some corn on the wall soon. Or maybe soy beans.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be nice to get to know you all. I look forward to learning from you guys and sharing my progress. By the way, I'm picking up a pine log from a coworker tomorrow. I can't wait!!!

Aloha,
Yankee Air Pirate

Ey! No be shy! Stop by and say hello! I know my tiki is pilau, but it's not THAT pilau!

Aloha and welcome to TC YankeeAirPirate. ARRRRRR!

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 7:18 AM

Yeah, that pine will be much nicer to you! And lighter to lift!

There are a few places that people are from that seem to take over their lives in ways. New Orleans and Hawaii are big ones. They make a lifestyle and you'll find people in far flung places gathering together with other people from those places to get back a certain feeling. I have a friend here who is from Hawaii and then moved to N.O., and now in TN, she has a couple of deep rooted places in her life.

aloha Y.A.P., don't know exactly where you are in ohio, but if you're interested in a good local tiki event, next weekend you might wanna check out:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24792&forum=4

Welcome aboard Yankee Air Pirate!
If carving is your thing then don't worry. You'll findy plenty folks here to lend support and feedback.
Aloha and thanks for your service,
:tiki:

On 2007-08-03 07:25, Johnny Dollar wrote:
aloha Y.A.P., don't know exactly where you are in ohio, but if you're interested in a good local tiki event, next weekend you might wanna check out:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24792&forum=4

I read about that. I really want to go to the Sat. events.

On 2007-08-03 07:42, Tiki Royale wrote:
Welcome aboard Yankee Air Pirate!
If carving is your thing then don't worry. You'll findy plenty folks here to lend support and feedback.
Aloha and thanks for your service,
:tiki:

I can't wait to get started on my next project. I borrowed an angle grinder from my uncle and I have my dremel and sander. Should be fun.

Ahoy YankeeAirPirate! Welcome aboard..

What part of Ohio are you in? Dayton??

If you make it to the Hot Rod Hula Hop in Columbus this weekend, you can meet a bunch of the Ohio ohana..

T

Welcome.
Hey if you do come to the Hula Hop
come up and say hi.
I will be the fat guy in some kind of hat.
Ask for brad the owner. Good friend.
Then ask him where john aka tikiskip is.
hope to see you.

On 2007-08-08 21:50, Capt'n Skully wrote:
Ahoy YankeeAirPirate! Welcome aboard..

What part of Ohio are you in? Dayton??

If you make it to the Hot Rod Hula Hop in Columbus this weekend, you can meet a bunch of the Ohio ohana..

Yar. Dayton to be sure.

I'm still going to try to make it. My wife wants to go as well. My only regret is that I won't get much time to work on my latest tiki this weekend if I go! I'm working on a 10" practice block using chisels. It's going fine, but I can barely find time to carve!

Nice start on the carving by the way.. Can't wait to see what you do with some soft wood.

On 2007-08-09 08:23, Capt'n Skully wrote:
Nice start on the carving by the way.. Can't wait to see what you do with some soft wood.

I don't have any pictures, but my next tiki is coming along just fine. I had to re-do the nose because I made a mistake and gouged it. A little rhinoplasty and he's looking okay. I've got my map printed up and I'm ready to hit the road tomorrow for the Hula Hop. My wife and I should be there in the afternoon, but I don't know if we'll stay too late. I got her to agree to go which is a lot more than I thought would happen! She's slowly slipping to the swank side of the force, but it'll take a lot of time and manipulation. The good kind of manipulation.

yarrr

On 2007-08-10 05:16, YankeeAirPirate wrote:

On 2007-08-09 08:23, Capt'n Skully wrote:

I don't have any pictures, but my next tiki is coming along just fine. I had to re-do the nose because I made a mistake and gouged it. A little rhinoplasty and he's looking okay. I've got my map printed up and I'm ready to hit the road tomorrow for the Hula Hop. My wife and I should be there in the afternoon, but I don't know if we'll stay too late. I got her to agree to go which is a lot more than I thought would happen! She's slowly slipping to the swank side of the force, but it'll take a lot of time and manipulation. The good kind of manipulation.

yarrr

I spoke too soon. Looks like I won't be able to make it. Dang. Maybe next time.

Pages: 1 13 replies