Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Eater Island Head Mugs From John Ascuaga

Pages: 1 7 replies

I am new to the tiki mug collecting. I bought two of these the other day. Then I bought two more. When I got them, two had a flat bottom, and two had a sunk in bottom. what is the difference. they were all made by omc japan. they all have the same writing. is the difference in years or what?

T

My understanding is that the concave bottom mugs are of an older vintage. They often say 'Sparks, Nev' on the back instead of Reno.

~ tikigreg

[ Edited by: tikigreg on 2002-05-24 14:13 ]

yea it does say sparks (east reno)nevada. wonder how old they are? thanks

Not sure of the actual dates of manufacture for these mugs but I can tell you they are VERY common! When out thrifting, I find them all the time. From what I understand, to this day you can still acquire these souvenier mugs from The Nugget. They serve a variety of drinks that come with a souvenier mug you can keep. I haven't been there to confirm this but a friend of mine has. I think this is still the case at the Hala Kahiki in Chicago as well.

M

A couple years ago, the Trader Dick's mugs have changed to a style with "Trader Dick's" in raised lettering on the back of the mug. I think they look more like traditional Orchid's of Hawaii mugs(Going from my memory)-they do not look like the Trader Dick's mugs of years gone by. For some drinks you have to pay a few dollars more to get the souvenir mug.

TC

Eater Island? isn't that the new name for Jimmy's Buffet?

:wink:
Tiki Chris

Thanks for pointing out my bad spelling Tiki Chris! Boy I feel Like a dumbass! Well now I got to get back on my medication.

D

i got 2 mugs from TraderDick's in february: one has green faux diamond eyes, the other one, is the flat bottomed Easter Island Head type, with 'trader dicks' embossed into the mug.

at least..i think those were the two we got. i also have a couple of the "dented bottom" ones (those are definitely nicer)

Pages: 1 7 replies