Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Outrigger...But Which One?

Pages: 1 8 replies

Hello Tiki Centralites,

I found this mug at the flea market a couple of weeks back. It's clearly marked Outrigger on the back of the mug. But I am curious which Outrigger it came from as it's not a common style mug. The mug is thick and heavy. It seems to be pretty old as well.

Does anyone else have this mug or variants of it? I would love to see them.

Aloha.

-CMC

Kohalacharms has this version on Ooga-Mooga. He couldn't pin down the location either.

T

I'm curious too.......real nice mug.
It's a real hard mug to pin down without evidence of it pictured in a drink menu.
Sorry, looked through all mine but no luck.......

There were so many Tiki Bars named Outrigger in the US in the heyday of Tiki, it will be impossible to tell, unless, as mentioned, a menu illustration can be found. Has anyone looked for cocktail menus under "Outrigger" in Mimi's Archiva Tropika?
That's one reason why Vic relinquished to name his franchises "Outrigger" (Seattle and Denver), turning them back to Trader Vic's.

well, I searched Akrivi for "outrigger" and "mermaid" and came up empty handed.

For some reason, tikikates picture isn't loading for me, but I checkout out Koala charms ooga-mooga link and noticed that on their mug, it is stamped with what looks like "S.L. Clutter"

link to pictures http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/pictures.cgi?mode=view&pic_id=13702&mug_id=2797&ind_mug_id=

So, I did a quick google search and found out that SL Clutter was (maybe still is - I haven't checked yet) a ceramic store/possible manufacturer on Inglewood blvd in Hawthorne, CA. The other interesting thing is that there are copious ceramic mermaids on ebay that were produced by SL Clutter in the late 50's early 60's, which would lead me to believe that they possibly produced mermaid mugs as well. (maybe mermaids were their specialty?)

anyway, this is all assuming that SL Clutter is on the bottom of your mug as well.

Hope this helped.

Hi All,

Thank you so much, you all are the reason I love this site so much. I really appreciate you time, insight and efforts.

After I saw Kohalacharms' version where it showed the S.L. Cutter markings, I went and looked at mine in the sunlight and low and behold, it had the markings. Given how receded they are, I would assume mine was a later production.

Thank you again.

-CMC

Here is a (not complete!) selection of Outrigger matchbooks....going by the vicinity, the Long Beach or Laguna Beach (BOT p. 170/171) Outriggers could be it, but then again, vicinity is not necessarily a factor in the restaurant supply business.

I believe that SL Cutter was a manufacturer or one of the long gone mold companies. Ceramic mold companies have all but disappeared. I have this exact mold (sana the lettering)at my disposal, so I assume it was a commercially available mold at one time for hobbyists. I was looking at it the other day, thinking that i might pour a few up. Judging from the lettering, it is likely that they carved the lettering into the green ware on your mug, as opposed to it being something in the mold. Nice find! I will ask some old time ceramicists I know about SL Cutter.

D

outrigger napkin and coaster.

Pages: 1 8 replies