Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego -- Tiki Tuesdays at the Pink Elephant

Pages: 1 42 replies

If you're coming in for Oasis a few days early -- or staying a few days after -- I recommend stopping in at the Pink Elephant. It's not a tiki bar, but the Tuesday-night bartender serves up generously-sized tropical concoctions, along with lots of soothing Hawaiian/Exotica and plenty of Aloha spirit. Stop by, order up a Mai Tai or a Sneaky Tiki and get yourself into an Oasis state of mind.

The Pink Elephant is located at 3829 30th St., just south of University Avenue in the North Park neighborhood. More info here:

http://www.barpinkelephant.com

http://www.myspace.com/barpinkelephant

http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profiles/barpinkelephant

(No, I'm not an employee or co-owner of the Pink Elephant -- I'm just a big fan.)

[ Edited by: DrMiguelito 2007-08-07 22:57 ]

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 6:41 PM

Is this close to the San Diego Turf Club? Cause that would be a nice evening out!

T

Crap. I have been living in San Diego for 6 months and just found out about this place. Thing is, I leave in 2 weeks!

See you all at Oasis next week!

Tikicutie

Nice! Glad to know tropical drinks and related tunes will be available! I was there a few weeks ago and really liked the room and am /looking forward to more visits.

Sorry about the poor timing for you TikiCutie; on the plus side, they only opened about a month ago, so at least you weren't missing out all along. They're just below the corner of 30th & University - right by Shooters and a quick stumble from Scolari's Office. Maybe a 10 minute drive from the Turf Club?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 7, 2007 9:19 PM

Got it. Peking Restaurant is a few streets west on University from there - one of the best Charlie Chan old school (is the best school) Chinese places in the city. Will try to go.

The guitar player from that old SD band Pitchfork owns this place.

Buzzy Out!

We should go by there and throw palm tree chips all over the floor for them to make it authentic........and sell them a few tikis to make it even more authentic!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 8, 2007 5:41 AM

This place looks swell! Tiki Tuesdays with Amie, great idea!

Um, I play pool. Not very well, but...

I wonder if they want some mugs with little drunken pink elephants on them? Hey Babs!

I heard . . . and this is a rumour for now ( I was also 3 or 4 mai tais & sneeky tiki's into the evening . . . ) but I have it on good authority if the price break is right , that there could be a pink elephant mug in the works .

Something to keep an eye on .

A

This is a pretty cool place. I've only been once so far -- a few days before the "grand opening." Big booths, pool tables, nice retro feel. For those who are familiar with the area, it's basically on 30th Street about a block south of University Avenue, where Dino's Restaurant used to be. It's my understanding that there are several owners, including former bartenders from Pacific Shores in Ocean Beach.

Haven't been to Tiki Tuesdays yet -- although I had seen an ad for it in the local City Beat. I'm going to try and stop by soon after work.

MR

Great bar. Ami makes a really good cocktail. Her signature drink is the sneaky tiki which is quite good. I've only been once, I loved it. Good atmosphere and a very nice bunch of folks to hang with. Highly recommended! If you like Pacific Shores or the Turf Club you'll love The Pink Elephant.
Cheers.

S

Went last night. Like the place, very friendly and very enjoyable drinks. Think they should keep the misprinted "Skeaky Tiki" name, it's funny after the 3rd drink. We had to skeak out early when the hubby claimed his drink garnish was his dinner.

We're back on Tiki Tuesday to officially kick off our tiki week of rum and debauchery.

Bring more rum

A

On 2007-08-09 18:07, Matt Reese wrote:
Great bar. Ami makes a really good cocktail. Her signature drink is the sneaky tiki which is quite good. I've only been once, I loved it. Good atmosphere and a very nice bunch of folks to hang with. Highly recommended! If you like Pacific Shores or the Turf Club you'll love The Pink Elephant.
Cheers.

Hey Matt -- Haven't seen you in ages. How's it hangin'? I plan to be at PE this Tuesday. Maybe I'll see you.

-Arian

I'll be there on Tuesday as well. It's become a regular stop for me.

Went to the Pink Elephant last night. GREAT concept on a limited budget, but I'm sure the place will improve as time goes on and they start making money. Got a GREAT $4.00 Mai Tai from a cool and courteous bartender, saw a few folks I knew, and had a good time. Motorcycle parking out front.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Aug 14, 2007 6:19 PM

Anyone going tonight? What time? Hubby and I are going to try to swing by there later. We'll both have tiki pendants on, come say hi if you see us.

Mieko

I'll be there around 9-ish with my wife and some friends . suck em up !

Those were some mean Mai Tais last night. My liver and I are now officially ready for Oasis to start. See you there!

On 2007-08-07 21:19, Cammo wrote:
Peking Restaurant is a few streets west on University from there - one of the best ... old school ... Chinese places in the city.

Absolutely! Exceptional Cantonese dishes for the budget conscious since 1934. Try the almond duck!

A

Cheap Leis are playing at Pink Elephant on the first Tiki Tuesday of the month, Sept. 4. Come by and get lei'd.

K

On 2007-08-07 22:14, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
The guitar player from that old SD band Pitchfork owns this place.

Buzzy Out!

Pitchfork, Rocket from the Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, Back Off Cupids, Hot Snakes, The Sultans... he's a frickin' rocknroll genius. Speedo is the man.

S

i spin surf/garage/and soul one thurs a month! look for the ratts revenge!!

A

Man, this place is great. I walked in last evening around 6/6:30 and I was the only one there besides the bartender. She said the crowd doesn't usually invade until around 10. So if you want good drinks with an unrushed bartender, go early.

A

[ Edited by: arriano 2007-09-24 10:55 ]

and don't forget to buy a Pink Elephant mug !!!

They're going fast amd you get a dollar off drinks when you bring it in . . .

M
mieko posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 7:03 PM

sweet! I'm gonna try to go tomorrow and get a mug.

On 2007-08-21 13:37, arriano wrote:
Cheap Leis are playing at Pink Elephant on the first Tiki Tuesday of the month, Sept. 4.

Anyone know what time the band is scheduled to go on?

Buzzy

MN

I was a bit concerned when I showed up at the P.E. tonight. But then I thought it would be a bit brash for him to announce himself.

As I stated before, "Cammo" is in the CIA.

Obviously Cammo, er Kamo, is not his real name...

Other, less ominous pictures...

Mmmmm, I love the DT's...

Tee hee :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdwVqGGbXno

Erik the Red

B

I love their pink elephant mug....who did that one?

On 2007-09-05 10:26, Babalu wrote:

Munktiki. I think it is Stucky's design. 30 bones gets the mug with a drink in it.

On 2007-09-05 10:30, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

On 2007-09-05 10:26, Babalu wrote:

Munktiki. I think it is Stucky's design. 30 bones gets the mug with a drink in it.

It also gets you a dollar off drinks if you bring the mug back for refills. After a couple of hard nights, the thing pays for itself. :)

I'll be there tonight around 8ish, if anyone wants to say hi.

Nice seein' yous guys at the Pink Elephant tonight. Good seeing you Nick and Gene. Nice (officially) meeting you Dr. Miguelito.

My head hurts. :drink: :drink: :drink:

Next tuesday the Cheap Leis will be playing there at the Pink Elephant . Two ukes and a slide guitar. MySpace with samples here http://tinyurl.com/2eahro

---LoungeLizard

M
mieko posted on Wed, Sep 26, 2007 9:20 AM

On 2007-09-25 22:44, LoungeLizard wrote:
Next tuesday the Cheap Leis will be playing there at the Pink Elephant . Two ukes and a slide guitar. MySpace with samples here http://tinyurl.com/2eahro

Sounds great! I'll try to make it next week!

tropicaldesignsbymieko.com

[ Edited by: mieko 2007-09-26 09:21 ]

N

I'm going to stop by after 8pm tonight.

BUMP for this Thursday, not Tiki Tuesday, when The Woggles & Creepy Creeps play with Ratt's Revenge DJ set by Mikey Ratt (and possibly our own Sleestak?). I enjoyed the hell out of the Creepy Creeps at this year's Adams Ave. Street Fair, they put on a great set of Garage-y Rock for being outside in the daytime.

On 2007-09-25 22:44, LoungeLizard wrote:

---LoungeLizard

And the Cheap Leis will be at Tiki Tuesday again this coming Tuesday, Nov. 6th.

A

And the Cheap Leis will be at Tiki Tuesday again this coming Tuesday, Nov. 6th.

What time does the band usually start?

MN

9PM!!!

The Cheap Leis go on at 9pm tonight and every first Tuesday of the month.

You never know when you'l get a Cheap Leis show.

MN

Almost forgot. Lefty's Pizza is on 30th and Myrtle(sp?) a few blocks south.
AWESOME Chicago pizza. Cheap PBRs and mmmmmm pizza.

Tell 'em Red Beard sent ya. :wink: Maybe I'll get a slice or a PBR. Or both.

This is my own personal agenda in that I am trying to score PIZZZZAAAAA!
Think of Cookie Monster saying "PIIIZZZAAAA!" :)

Anyone planning to hit this tonight? I haven't been since before the holidays, and I'm hoping to make it tonight if I'm not working late.

H

Ain't tomorrow Tuesday?

Pages: 1 42 replies