Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Witco wall art?

Pages: 1 19 replies

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 1:21 PM

This sure looks like Witco, but I never saw it before.

Ken, Bigbro?

Naaaw, that's just a piece of (...stalling while trying to get my bid in...) uh, that's just....Wait! It's all over! Kim already got it, and for a pretty penny!
Congrats, Kim! That is one of my favorite, very early Witco designs, and it looks in pristine shape! And after it will be published full page in my book, the dough spent will be a worthwhile investment. :)

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Aug 9, 2007 2:21 PM

Looks like a nice combination of the paddle carving turned into a pseudo-tiki. Very interesting.

Yeah, I wish Bill would have experimented more with that mixed sculpture/painting concept in his Tiki pieces, I like it very much. But I guess the temptation to fully sculpt Tikis was to great, and he also might have been concerned about lack of a native tradition in that. It really worked well in his modernist wall hangings, like in the famous Witco World.

But most of the time the painting part became the background to the sculpted art, not quite as integral as exemplified in this Tiki piece.

TD

does anyone have a pic of The Daisies? TD

D

On 2007-08-09 14:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yeah, I wish Bill would have experimented more with that mixed sculpture/painting concept in his Tiki pieces, I like it very much.

Keigs made a couple pieces like that for Hula Hula ~ commission one to match your decor!

has anyone even heard of a Witco piece called the DAISIES?

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2007-08-12 02:44 ]

David, here you go. Took a while til I dug those out:

THANK YOU . Have you ever seen a Witco lamp with a lamp shade made like the Dasies? TD

No...maybe...I don't recall. But even I do not have ALL catalogs and supplements that Witco ever published, and also, they played around and some stuff out there never WAS in catalogs. They did take some Tiki masks and also the fire dancers and slapped them on regular lamp shades, so why not those daisies :)

cool. i have one ,was hoping it was rare. sounds like it could be.i found it in daytona last year,it was on a witco lamp of 2 figures facing and hugging each other.thanks for the info and pics. TD

Your description of the base rang a bell, and I found it in a January 1969 catalog supplement:

Unfortunately the photos are only in black and white, which makes them not book worthy, so I kinda forgot about them. But I sure would love to have one of those fire dancer/Abstract ones!

Here are two other "wood on shade" examples (the above ones came as swag lamps also):

Ken Pleasant has remade that Tiki shade since, complete with Tapa pattern.

And yes, there are SOME B&W Witco photos in Tiki Modern, but the majority had to be color, of course.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-08-16 12:28 ]

thats it , the one on the right, shade and all. damn ,do you have all the catalogs? thanks,again, for the pic and info. TD

But I sure would love to have one of those fire dancer/Abstract ones!

I want a Fire Dancers lamp too!

I have this Witco ship, but someone has obviously done a shitty job of repainting the background. They even got blue paint on the wood. Has anyone here ever tried to repaint a Witco? Any suggestions for how to remove the wood from the cloth or how to remove the paint from the wood?

I would love some ideas for this piece.
Thanks!

M

BIGBRO,
When is you book of Witco coming out, been a long time of talk but nothing????????

You haven't been by here, lately, eh? I wouldn't call that "nothin'" :) :

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25214&forum=1&41

...oh, and for "when", lookey 'ere:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25205&forum=1&16

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-08-16 20:00 ]

M

Well stick a tiki in my mouth.....lol. Well it looks to be well worth the wait. I'm on the east coast, so can't wait unitl it over here. What is the price tag on that big ass book???

Thanks BigBro,

MaD-TiKi

It's Thirteeenaaaahn Nineteeenaaaahn regular store price, but Amazon is undercuttin' everybody again, Wallmart style. That's a whole lotta book for that lil money. I'm not sayin', go look for yourself :)

TD

bump, for my own reason.

Pages: 1 19 replies