Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pennsylvania Dutch Tiki Drink

Pages: 1 14 replies

I have pulled over a post that got started in another thread SBiM and I present a new tiki drink that honors Pennsylvania's Dutch (German) heritage. Please see below:

On 2007-08-11 12:14, rugbymatt wrote:

On 2007-08-09 17:48, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
Ok Matt, I got it.

First, classic PA Dutch Hex Sign staple, the Distelfink:

combine it with classic tiki drink, the Dr. Funk.

And viola! The Dr. Distelfunk!

I would do some kind of cool image, but I don't have mad photoshop skillz.

..sb

Eureka! Gentlemen, I give you "The Dr. Distelfunk":
Take 2 oz. dark rum (Myers, etc.), 2 oz. of spiced rum, 1/2 oz. lime juice, and 1/2 a can of Pennsylvania Dutch brand Birch Beer combine over ice and stir.

Note that an adaptation of the Distlefink is on the PD birch beer label too.

now we need to make a special mug for it.

Perhaps along the lines of the Fu Manchu, but with an Amish guy.

Ta-da!

This cocktail will be a hit with wild Amish folks everywhere!

On 2007-08-11 14:50, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
now we need to make a special mug for it.

Perhaps along the lines of the Fu Manchu, but with an Amish guy.

The mug should be black, have reflectors on the back, including the traditional red-and-orange traffic triangle. It could use a license plate with a low number and, most importantly, the original design should be drawn by a horse.

Now we just have to get Holden or one of the many talented TC clay throwers/ sculptors to take this baby and trot with it. Help make "Der Dr. Distelfunk" a reality!

If it's gonna be an Amish (or mennonite, or whatever) tiki-mug.. it has to have a lid. A black hat lid, obviousl.

The face has to be somewhat craggy.. but the MOST IMPORTANT PART is the neck beard.. cause PA Dutch Germans CANNOT grow full face beards.. (I know, I be one).. it's a scraggly fullish-beard, which goes from the jawline down into the light blue shirt.

It could be kinda moai like.. but WITH THE NECKBEARD! >:)

T

It is a well documented fact that Amish men drink Australian lager from a can...

For those of you in Los Angeles that don't know where to buy Birch Beer, check out http://www.sodapopstop.com/

Or, just go there. They have a half dozen kinds of birch beer and a zillion kinds of soda pop. Fun to look around and there's something for everyone.

5702 York Boulevard,
Los Angeles, California 90042

Store Hours:

Monday - Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Sunday 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m.

R

I've seen some of those Amish guys early Sunday mornings on the Lancaster County backroads driving their buggy about half slumped over .
Maybe one too many Dr. Distelfunks ...
I always wondered about that .

Matt, are you going to bring the ingredients for this to the NE Tiki Tour?

I will bring a 12'er of Penn Dutch Birch Beer. We can just pick up the Meyers and Cap'n in MA.

I've got some Redrum Spiced Rum that should be better than Capn.

..sb

I am glad to hear the good Doctor will make an appearance at the NE tiki tour. I am really looking forward to meeting him. BTW, any God-fearing Amish person can tell you the NE Tiki Tour was foretold in the bible:

"Come ye, say they, I will fetch wine, and we will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to morrow shall be as this day, and much more abundant." Isaiah 56:12

Actually, Isaiah 5:11 may be more accurate:

"Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!"

I guess we are OK since we're not rising up to follow strong drink until around noon-time.

....gotta love the internet bible search.

It's all good!

LM, you better rise before noon or you'll miss the friggin' bus.

Pages: 1 14 replies