Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I am selling these on e-bay...

Pages: 1 23 replies

...I have no room to display them, and I need the money:

A Trader Vic's Skull mug:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2156553021&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

A strange Moai jug:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2156556268&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

A Kon Tiki bird bowl:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2156554415&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

..and I don't wanna hear no whining about high prices, rather REJOICE with me in the case of a bidding war!

C

Hi Bigbrotiki -

I have a question about the Kahiki mug that is in the picture with your "strange Moai jug" - I found a mug that looks just like the Kahiki one in the picture at a thrift store a couple weeks ago - green inside just as the one in your picture, but it doesn't have any markings. Wasn't sure of the origin - does yours have any markings? Any way to tell if it's really a Kahiki mug?? Just curious - I'm holding onto it either way.

Thanks for any advice you may have :)

Mine has "Ceramica Historica Texcucomex" in a triangle shape with"Mexopa" in the middle stamped into it.

The way I understand it the Kahiki mug manufacture went thru several phases:

One of the owners wife's operated a kiln in the basement that cranked out that good old lead laced drink ware

The sought after Hoffman Co did some of the vessels

THEN they had some of their potttery manufactured in Mexico

and last, Orchids of Hawaii took over doing the real crappy mugs.

...so yours sounds like it might be from the Mexican manufacture, too

T

I am excited to have a chance to obtain the rare Aranciata tin vessel! : )

Actually, I didn't know the hypno-bird bowl was designed by Florian Gabriel. It's very cool and I want it, but I can already see I ain't gonna be able to afford it. Damn!

Jane, are you whining....?!

M

What's this, Mr Kirsten is selling on Ebay! I just saw the listings and was gonna come here and make sure...my first clue: "this comes from the personal collection of "Sven Kirsten".

I have never seen the Kahiki headhunter with a handle, am I seeing that right? Did anyone see the Kahiki No.1 with a lid? I don't think that is correct.

Good luck Sven, I would like the pitcher too, but it will go for too much. A Bigbrotiki collection item, I cannot compete witht that marketing advantage!

midnite

Yeah, well, my girlfriend said put that on there, it will be an advantage. Glad you think so, too...I need any advantage I can get right now!!

MC

I did my share and placed a bid, but was quickly outbid (a good sign for you.) My limited funds keep me from going any higher (I'm still scraping together to get my Tiki Gardens pledge in.) Good luck with getting the $$$ you need and deserve!

You really want to jack the price up on those items? Throw your signature on them too. That'll really take advantage of the situation.

Hey Sven- if any losers send you a behind the scenes email asking you to close the auctions early, be sure to give us their names so we can lynch them :)

S

Yes Sven, you must add a provinance (sp?) to show the history. That it passed through your collection. Some day down the road, that will add value as collectors in 2100's look back fondly on the tiki craze of the turn of the century and wonder about the great Sven!

T

I need any advantage I can get right now!!

No, I think YOU'RE whining! : )

(Ducking hurled bird bowl) I hope you get LOTS of dough for it - which you probably will. And also that way you have lots of cash to buy me a cocktail at the hukilau to apologise for your impudent behaviour!

Tikifish, if you see a bum in tattered Hawaiian print garments sitting in the street, holding out a Trader Vic's Skull Mug for pennies, that's me...sob, sob.

I can't sign the damn mugs, I didn't make them...BUT maybe I can add some signed paper ephemera xeroxes (like the menu page with the bird bowl)...hmmm

A while back I briefly was considering offering glossy signed and numbered 8x11 prints of some of my best Tiki Photos from the BOT (and also unpublished ones) on e-bay...but that was when e-bay was hoppin'....
And considering that a good print costs like 7.00 bucks, plus shipping, I figured I would need to get at least 20.00 bucks for it to make it worth my while.. ...considering that you can just color xerox them from the BOT for a buck and hang em 'up, I don't think people would go for that? Any takers?

M

Bigbrotiki,

Re "I don't think people would go for that? Any takers?"

I would agree, signing the old mugs would be incorrect. Your idea has some merit. I have always thought a signed Sven-Tiki mug and a signed BOT would be a good combo. Or maybe:

A Sven Kirsten "Urban Archaeologist" board game. Find the old haunts, search thrift stores and garage sales for collectibles. Stop off for a cocktail, visit the wisemen of Oceanic Arts, make a mistake and listen to Jimmy Buffett. Win a dream date with Steve Crane.

Ok, maybe just sell signed copies of the BOT and Sven-tiki.

midnite

There you go, I added a signature bonus item to "Skull" and "Moai Jug".

Funny idea with the board game...a little cost prohibitive: I only would do it (ha) if it would get real Urban Archeologist and Tiki game figures, I hate non realistic, flat game pieces....

I actually have a German board game called "Die Osterinsel" (The Easter Island) with detailed 5 inch plastic Moais in whose top knots you have to fill little rocks and move them according to the throw of the dice.
It's one of my unrealized foto projects for Tiki News "Author S.kirsten at home, enjoying a board game with his son": A photo of me and my son, clad in the Kon-Tiki /Aku Aku print shirts, sitting at the table playing the game, with the Pisco Moai Bottle, the Sven-Tiki Mug, the Moai Plasma lamp, O.A. Moai lighter, the Easter Isle mosaik in the background, Heyerdahl's "Aku Aku" and Jeff Berry's video on the table,....

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2003-01-31 13:03 ]

F

tht game would rule!

This is not really in reference to Sven's post but...

Midnite wrote "Did anyone see the Kahiki No.1 with a lid? "

What is up with that? For $64 (Ludwicke has that current bid) I could easily find a lid for one of my many Kahiki mugs...in fact, I just might!
No, seriously! I just saw two little crocks for butter or something at the thrift store - both had lids and would fit perfectly on a Kahiki Headhunter mug.
Desperate times call for desperate measures, right?

Man, people will buy a piece of junk for an unreasonable amount of money, but if you put a cool lamp on there, you can't sell it. What gives?!

M

[i]On 2003-01-31 18:05, the75stingray wrote...

What is up with that? For $64 (Ludwicke has that current bid) I could easily find a lid for one of my many Kahiki mugs...in fact, I just might!
No, right?

Saw this a few oths ago with a few Steve Crane mugs...they had tops on them from the condiment bowls used at the Kon-Tiki's. Creative interprettaion, to say the least. You're right though, make it seem "rare" and you may get lucky. I just do not think that No. 1 mug had a lid, ever.

On the Urban Archaeologist Tiki game, all I want is a game piece named after me. Or maybe a spot on the board, a player lands on it and "Goes collectible hunting with Midnite: finds nothing, loses a turn."

midnite

L
laney posted on Fri, Jan 31, 2003 7:32 PM

On 2003-01-31 18:05, the75stingray wrote:
Man, people will buy a piece of junk for an unreasonable amount of money, but if you put a cool lamp on there, you can't sell it. What gives?!

Lamp?! What lamp? Where, I want it!! I need it!!! Oh man, I have a problem....

big brotiki,that image you portray with you and your son is great!I love it.

Gee, this seems to be a really SLOW time for e-bay! C'mon kids, help me to stirr up the Moai and Skull posts a bit with some sports biddding, don't worry, out of convenience I set the reserve at the same than the bird bowl, fifty bucks, I thought I might get lucky, but it doesn't look like there are any maniacs out there.....

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2003-02-02 12:05 ]

A

Sven,
The real bidding dosen't start till the last minute. Not to worry, you'll do well.
Al

Moais are just the coolest,for lack of a better word at this moment...

I did notice that Ludwicke lucked out on that Kahiki w/lid mug. The seller pulled it off and relisted because they got word that the Kahiki Headhunter mugs never came with lids.

(I did not tell!) Hey, if a guy wants to pay $64 for a common mug with a lid, more power to 'em!
The sooner they go broke, is the sooner I can start bidding. Thats my motto.

I can't believe that Svens TV skull isnt higher yet.

Sven, if I wasnt so broke myself, my friend, I'd be bidding on that skull!

Good luck with the bids.

Pages: 1 23 replies