Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Angostura grendadine syrup: glass vs. plastic

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

I was out on a grenadine hunt (planned to check out some Finest Call) and I came across two varieties of "Angostura Premium Quality Grenadine Syrup", next to each other on the shelf. I'd read here that Angostura-brand was some pretty decent "real pomegranate" grenadine. So I bought a bottle of each ($4.50):

*One is in a glass 1-liter bottle, light blue label that says "Premium Quality Grenadine Syrup. Custom blended with pomegranates and other natural fruit flavors.", with the ingredients: "High fruct. corn syrup, water, citric acid, pomegranate and natural fruit flavors, 0.2% sodium benzoate (as a preservative), FD&C red #40". It clearly says on the side: "DO NOT REFRIGERATE".

*The other is in a 1-liter plastic bottle with a yellow label that reads, "Angostura Mixers Premium Quality Grenadine Syrup, Non-Alchoholic". It's ingredients are: "High fruct. corn syrup, water, pomegranates and natural fruit flavors, citric acid, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (as a preservatives), FD&C red #40, blue #1". This one says, "Shake well. Refrigerate after opening".

So, which is "the good stuff"? Either one? Heh, after the recent TV syrups debacle(s), and my new collection of colored water and chemicals, I'm not very trusting. But they both said "pomegranate", as either the 3rd or 4th ingredient, and heck, their cheap, so I figured it was worth a shot.8^D

Yea, I could open them up and taste for myself, but I'm still working through my last bottle of Stirrings and I'm not sure which one to try first.

Anyway, they've got more bottles of either variety at the store. Heh, if one's good, maybe I'll go and grab some more.:^D

[ Edited by: tin_omen 2007-08-13 19:22 ]

I

I don't know about that brand, but this afternoon I found one by "Master of Mixes" that contains pomengranate juice from concentrate and cherry juice from concentrate. I found it in Ingles Supermarket (East coast). I haven't mixed it yet but I did taste it. It has a great taste and an intense aroma. (scratching my head and trying to figure out how Rose's took over)

T

I don't know which of the Angostura's are considered "better", but I finally decided to crack into the glass "Do Not refrigerate" bottle first (because I it would let me wait to make room for another 1-liter bottle in the fridge :^D).

Man that's some good stuff. Great fruity aroma. Smooth pomegranate with just a hint of bitter/tart flavor. Not massively sweet.

Looks like I'll have to wait and compare the "Angostora plastic" to "Angostura glass", until I'm substantially through the glass bottle.

Interesting that the Master of Mixes offering comes up: Our local Cub grocery store started stocking it awhile back, and I bit on the "pomegranate" on the label, as well. For me, it's got kind of an artificial aroma, and is a bit too "candy" or "cough syrup" for my taste -- the wife agreed. I never seem to throw anything away, so I just dug it out, recracked the bottle, and did a side by side with the Angostura Grenadine: it's no contest for me.

I

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the Angostura, then. I've checked most of the liquour stores in Athens, GA with no luck. I bet they could order it for me, though, since they have the bitters.

I saw some interesting recipes online last night for grenadine, using POM pomegranate syrup.

Here's the link

http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2006/05/21/grenadine-face-off/

Pages: 1 3 replies