Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Don the Beachcomber (Hollywood), Hollywood, CA (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Jul 3, 2014 8:53 AM

Why has this 1934 date persisted everywhere? Don opened in 1933, as soon as prohibition ended. Just today I see it again by non-other than Sven!

We know that Donn opened up Don's Beachcomber at 1722 N. McCadden Place in 1933.

He then moved the bar across the street to 1727 N. McCadden Place in 1937 when in became Don the Beachcomber's.

What we didn't know is that another Polynesian restaurant went into the original bar location - the Tahiti as evidenced by this rather historical matchbook I just purchased!

How cool is that!

DC

Whoaaa! And judging by the style of the artwork, that happened not long after the Beachcomber left. Wonder how Don felt about that. Man what would I give for a street view photo ….oh to have a time machine!

On 2014-07-03 08:53, Swanky wrote:
Why has this 1934 date persisted everywhere? Don opened in 1933, as soon as prohibition ended. Just today I see it again by non-other than Sven!

Swanky,

Final proof. An old Don The Beachcomber matchbook from my collection (with cool raised features)

With the following information on the inside:

I'd say that's pretty definitive.

DC

G

A place called the Tahiti across the street from Don's in Hollywood? That's fantastic! Great find. I guess you could call this the first Polynesian Restaurant Row! Don's was known for attracting the Hollywood elite. I wonder if some of them occasionally wandered across the street to Tahiti. Has anyone called Hillside 0818 to see if they're still open? If only Google street level view worked retroactively. :)

A

On 2014-07-03 08:53, Swanky wrote:

My guess is that it's because the year of the bar opening is confused with the year the Zombie was invented. The often told tale is that Don created the Zombie for a patron as a hangover cure. So obviously the bar was already open when the drink was invented. So bar opened in 1933, and the Zombie was first whipped up in 1934.

S

More evidence in this early postcard.

150 known imitators. Hollywood's first bar.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2015-02-17 07:58 ]

How close to 150 can we get if we list all the imitators WE know here ? :)

A

More evidence in this early postcard.

150 known imitators. Hollywood's first bar.

I'm guessing they meant, first bar in Hollywood after Prohibition. Which in itself is surprising.

S

Working on my book and I can't figure out if it started as "Don's Beachcomber" "Beachcomber Café" or "Don's Beachcomber Café". There is some evidence for all three. Or maybe it was "Don's Beachcomber Café" and was shortened in various places...

DC posted that image with the sign. We have a telephone book listing with another and, well, can anyone tell me definitively what it was originally called?

T

Interesting postcard advertising Don the Beachcomber from the Roosevelt Hotel.

One I've never seen before. Not sure if it really makes sense as a postcard:

"Having a great time in Hollywood. Walked 2 blocks to Don the beachcomber. The map is on the front."

C

This 1974 obituary for Manila-born actor Leon Lontoc ("Burke's Law") credits him as the founder of Don's!

Clayfran,

According to Beachbum Berry in Sippin' Safari, Leon Lontoc, was a Don - The Beachcomber s waiter who served Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando by night, and acted in their movies by day.

DC

OGR

I came across this a while back...could not find it posted in this Hollywood DTB thread...a 1946 XMAS photo of the Hollywood DBT.

N

so many DTB threads i wasnt sure where to post this one. ill move it if there is a better spot

anyone know anything about this, if such a thing ever existed and/or if this is a real piece? almost looks fake but could be legit

I am sure it is the real deal. Don had his own labels for the rums he used and sold, why not for his beer :) - A detail from his back bar:

Granted, these labels are based on another design...

...than this more famous rendering, which I have seen only as a postcard, not on a bottle - but that's the one you're showing:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2019-06-23 16:23 ]

I spotted some postcards online and didn't see them represented in this thread. Most of them are copyright 1941.

Menu artwork - Front Front: card00846_fr Back: card00846_bk

Menu artwork - Back Front: card00247_fr Back: card00247_bk

Drinks - Front: card00073_fr Drinks - Back: card00073_bk

A Message From Don The Beachcomber - Front: card00050_fr Back: card00050_bk

Pages: 1 2 64 replies