Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Here we go....YAP's first carving post....practice tiki

Pages: 1 5 replies

I've been working on a tiki in my sparse spare time for the past week. It's just a wood block that I picked up at Michael's. I have an 18 inch pine log drying in the garage. I'll probably carve on that when I get time this fall. Anyway, here's the pics. Be gentle. I'm still wet behind my ears.

I've been using some really fun, but weak, chisels that I'm sure won't work on the pine. My next step is to convince my wife that I need new tools. I've been looking at garage sales, but nothing good has come up so far.

[ Edited by: YankeeAirPirate 2007-08-14 06:21 ]

Nice start YAP - basic form looking good.

Keep it up, post progress pics. New tools? Continue doing a great job on this, and how can she refuse? :)

KS

On 2007-08-14 08:38, kiwishaman wrote:
Nice start YAP - basic form looking good.

Keep it up, post progress pics. New tools? Continue doing a great job on this, and how can she refuse? :)

KS

She can't, but I don't want the hassles. :) She thinks that I'm trying to take over the entire house with Hawaiiana. I need to make her a corn tiki so that she'll have a piece of IL to look at.

B

Great start with this tiki. Tell her you'll be able to sell more tikis if you have better tools and the more you sell, the Less hanging around the house! :lol:

On 2007-08-14 09:57, Benzart wrote:
Great start with this tiki. Tell her you'll be able to sell more tikis if you have better tools and the more you sell, the Less hanging around the house! :lol:

I know she'll go for that! I can't wait to get the dremel fired up on this one. I've been looking at the other posts and I'm going to stop by the store today to buy some attachments I've read about. I've been trying to get as much carving time in a possible, but that's kinda hard just moving into a place.

I was out of town over the weekend so I'll be back at it tonight. By the way, I now have my wife looking for logs for me. I think she's giving in. Or setting me up....hmmm. I'll have to keep an eye on her.

BTW, I saw a yard off of 55/74 just outside of Bloomington IL that was filled with logs. All different types and ages. I have no idea what the gent with the chainsaw was doing with them, but I couldn't stop at that point if I wanted to. Our van was full up and we needed to get home.

Pages: 1 5 replies