Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Looking for a rental in Alameda or oakland

Pages: 1 3 replies

From my friend Tom, who is a great dj, and has spun records at Hula Hula...

Know a place for us to live in Oakland or Alameda
My wife Rosey and I are down to the wire... we are looking for a studio or one bedroom on Oakland or Alameda. We can pay up to $1,000. We are ready to move immediately. If you know us then you know that we're friendly, respectful and interesting folks. Let me know if something comes up. Thanks y'all!!

-Tom & Rosey

Tom's myspace is: http://www.myspace.com/djtomlg

MT

I can make a couple suggestions. If they are looking to rent in Alameda, then they should avoid Gallagher And Linday Property Management at all costs! For whatever reason, they have a monopolistic stranglehold on almost all of the rental units in Alameda. But they have THE WORST reputation for being terrible property managers! We have dealt with them in the past, and what a total nightmare. Just going into their office, and seeing people waiting in a long line to complain about electricity/plumbing/whatever problems, lost rent checks, no refunds of deposit no matter what, etc. The list goes on and on. I am not trying to go out of my way to slam this company, this is my experience and opinion. Just please, avoid them.

I would recommend Mason Management. They are small, but seem to have a great reputation. We had some short and quick dealings with them, and they really seem to care about the tenants they are renting to.

Also, even if your friends are kind of strapped, there is a rather large apartment complex that they might be able to get into for $1,000 a month or less. It's on the north end of the island, on Buena Vista north of Webster St. It was formerly known as the Buena Vista Apartments, (or the BV's), and also had the name changed to Harbor Island or something similar. The place was originally old Naval Air Station overflow housing, so the complex is huge! Then when the Navy pulled out, it became the BV's, and was pretty much the sketchiest of sketchy places on the island! The BV's had a notorious reputation, even in Oakland and Richmond! My nephew lived there while he was going to CCAC art school out here, so I can attest to the sketchy factor.

Anyways, the place has been bought by a huge corporate conglomeration, and they are in the process of gutting and remodelling the entire complex, which is taking them forever, because the place is so big. (Don't worry, the place had absolutely ZERO poly pop or retro factor). The place is shaping up nicely, and it's hard to believe it's the same complex. Anyways, some of the units are available for rent right now, and I bet they could probably get in for $1,000 or less, especially if they got a 1 bedroom place. Plus the place is walking distance to Forbidden Island.

Anyways, that's my two cents. They could also look into West Oakland, which has regentrified from being one of the worst areas in Oakland to being fairly nice now. Lots of lofts, etc. Hey, we'd rent them a room, but we are about to have some major work done on the house, including roof work, so that probably wouldn't work out.

S

Hey Mai Tai!
Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on!

Craigslist worked great for me. You can look under the Room to rent area. Most places are small attached cottages or in my case the whole downstairs. I found my roomate who has an AWESOME 1908 Craftsman with a huge backyard. A lot of people don't look there becasue they are afraid of the whole "roommate" notion.

Pages: 1 3 replies