Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Book on Rattan repair

Pages: 1 12 replies

B

Hey Rattan-aphiles,
Is there a good book out there on repairing Rattan ? I bought a really cool 50's Rattan bar that needs some serious love. I'm talking about bending and replacing pieces here. I'll post some before pictures so you can see what I'm up against.
Thanks.

[ Edited by: Buster 2007-08-15 16:35 ]

Did you buy the $50-dollar one of Craigslist?

It looked like it had a ton of potential, but needed some MAJOR TLC!

If so, congrats! I hope you keep us posted on the rehab project as it looked like it could be super sweet if someone showed it some love.

-CMC

This sounds like a job for

*** TIKISKIP!!!***

B

Yep, It was the $50 bar from Craig's List and yes it need a lot of TLC.

Cool Buster,

I am glad it ended up with you. :)

-CMC

B

TikiSkip,
Thanks for the lead on the book. I found and ordered a copy this morning.

This is going to be a big project, I ordered the replacement rattan yesterday so once I get my supplies and instructions I can get started. I have posted pictures of the damaged bottom of the bar. From talking to the former owner the bar has been well used and well traveled even going to burning man at least once.
Wish me luck.

Oh I like it! Old and what I call Kronkie.
You will need to stain your rattan to match.
Keep us posted.

TD

I saw that bar on CL!
Good luck with the repairs :)
post some pics when it's all fixed up!

-Tiki D

I need that book too. where did you order it from? Ive got one of those rattan sideboards with the mahogany tops that needs a tiny bit of repair .

[ Edited by: Sophista-tiki 2007-08-16 21:58 ]

B

I got mine at a1 books. The url is http://www.a1books.com. This is the first time I have ordered from them so I will let you know how it goes.

J

Hey Buster!
Nice bar! Let me know if you need any help with the work on it. I love those kinds of projects, but have no space to do them at my place. I even have some power tools, saw, drill, sander, etc. and would love to put them to good use.

B

Thanks for the offer Jen, we will see when the project gets off the ground.

Pages: 1 12 replies