Name:Shun Lee
Type:restaurant
Street:43 W 65th Street
City:New York
State:NY
Zip:10023
Phone:212-595-8895

Description:
I debated whether I should post this, because it has no tiki decor, although the decor is beautiful, and the only polynesian influence in the food is some typical Pu-Pu type appetizers. But, because it has the best Mai Tais I've everhad at a commercial establishment in NYC, I thought it deserved mention. The Mai Tais are very similar to Trader Vics, though maybe a slight tad sweeter. I went there because it has a reputation for excellent food and debated on getting the Mai Tai, as I have had some very bad experiences ordering those in restaurants here, but when the waiter described the ingredients, it sounded like Trader Vic's recipe. I was not disappointed.

The service is excellent, and the food is as well, though a bit pricey for chinese food. It is, though, an upscale restaurant and the experience was worth it. They also have a more casual cafe, with lighter and less expensive fare and a bar, if you don't want to pay that much for chinese food.

There is also one on the East side at 55th and 3rd, but I have not been there.

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2007-08-16 13:38 ]

Thanks for posting this. I can't find a decent Mai Tai in the city, besides my own. I'll check them out next week...they do have a bar, right?

This is VERY good news. I was also beginning to think that the only decent mai tai in manhattan was being made in my kitchen.

From the location, I think I have heard about this place before, but the descriptions made it sound like a local dive bar with a set of regulars who were not looking for more friends. Good to see there was none of that in the report - I could be thinking of a whole other place.

In any event, if there is a good mai tai there, well, I'm goin' in to check it out like ASAFP. Tomorrow is the weekend....

On 2007-08-16 11:09, tripower wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I can't find a decent Mai Tai in the city, besides my own. I'll check them out next week...they do have a bar, right?

Yes, they do have a bar.

On 2007-08-16 12:42, leisure master wrote:
This is VERY good news. I was also beginning to think that the only decent mai tai in manhattan was being made in my kitchen.

From the location, I think I have heard about this place before, but the descriptions made it sound like a local dive bar with a set of regulars who were not looking for more friends. Good to see there was none of that in the report - I could be thinking of a whole other place.

In any event, if there is a good mai tai there, well, I'm goin' in to check it out like ASAFP. Tomorrow is the weekend....

It's definitely no dive. I should have included links to the website, there's a gallery of pictures, so you can check out the decor.

The west side Shun Lee: http://www.shunleewest.com/index2.htm

The East Side: http://shunleepalace.lanteck.net/index2.htm

Also, I had to correct the address, it's 65th Street, not 56th.

Cheers,
Ray

[ Edited by: Urban Tiki 2007-08-16 13:39 ]

4's a party! We can have an official Shun Lee Mai Tai tasting night! When?

Hey, thanks for posting this: I've always thought the food at Shun Lee's was excellent, but I've always been Mai Tai-shy (one too many bad ones). Hmmm...

On 2007-08-16 14:34, Tiki Kollektor wrote:
4's a party! We can have an official Shun Lee Mai Tai tasting night! When?

It would be great to have a TC Mai Tai gathering! I'm up for it any night next week- how about Thursday? If we can find a good day, I'll post something in Events.

What a great idea - next Thursday sounds good. Maybe around 6 or so for a little social lubricant and food? Anyone else going up to MA for the NE Tiki Tour the next day?

B

Best Mai Tai I've had in NYC was at Milk & Honey. In fact, ALL the cocktails there were pretty amazing. All juice fresh squeezed, quiet atmosphere, but impossible to find. No tiki whatsoever, but kind of a hipster lounge atmosphere.

Worth a look.

Oh, and bring one of these Mai Tais to the NETT for me to try! Strain the ice & throw it in a thermos! :D

D

Wow!! The Mai Tais are that great huh? I'll have to go there this weekend and check it out.

D

Went here tonight, actually to the East Side location, Shun Lee Palace. For an un-Tiki place it was pretty festive looking. Definitely on the upscale side, but a nice break from the regular low-rent Chinatown type restaurants. I had the Mai Tai which was served in a Hurricane glass. Even though I thought it was actually very good, it tasted more like the Mai Tais they serve at Chan's Dragon Inn, not so much liek a Trader Vic Mai Tai, but I guess it's all personal taste. I'm not sure exactly what they put in it as far as Rum goes, but I think they may have put some brand of 151 Rum in there because it knocked me for a f*cking loop! I mean I got freakishly sauced without even finishing my first one. I'm guessing it was because I hadn't eaten anything for probably six hours, and also because I slurped down the first half of it pretty quickly. I'm not usually a light weight and I've had cocktails under those circumstances before and nothing happened but this time..Damn! It was a strong drink. Once I regained my composure and the food came I had another, but wow that was crazy.

Pages: 1 11 replies