Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Chicagoland tiki vintage weekend

Pages: 1 14 replies

Hi, we'll be in Chicago this weekend and we're wondering if anyone could recommend any tiki, vintage or mid-century modern must-sees ... we'll be at the Hala Kahiki, of course, but it seems that a lot of stuff has closed in the past few years. Still trying to get over the fact that the Chicago Trader Vic's has closed ...

R

We're doing a similar trip in October, mainly to catch up with friends and see the Frank Lloyd Wright neighborhood of Oak Park. There are tours available, but I cannot vouch for any of 'em yet. You can visit his former home & studio.

Here's a site we've been scoping out that may assist on this front:
http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=3

One question I'd like to throw out to the group as well - if we're in town for along weekend and only have time for 2-3 tiki establishments in the Chicago area... which ones should we hit? Tikibars definitely had Hala Kahiki at the top of the list when we asked him at Hukilau, but beyond that we're looking for suggestions. We know we missed out on Vic's, sadly.

Cheers,
Rupe

well....seeing that there are really only 2 tiki establishments in town worth seeing, looks like you can hit them both!!.....chef shangri-la is great but they are still not serving alcohol,,the decor is vintage with alot of witco......check out the sandbar in brookfield..not far from oak park.other than that, consult your latest edition of tiki road trip to find out more about tiki in chicago......if you don't have a copy, you can pick one up in town from tikibars....

"It's only a problem if you choose to make it one!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-08-17 17:08 ]

T

Thanks for the plug, Dave.

There is NO Tiki left in Chicago.
(except for perhaps Paradise Club / Club Paradise, which as of this summer is OFFICIALLY a club - they have a 'members only' sign on the door and refuse admission if they don't like the looks of yer mug!)

But in the 'burbs...

Hala Kahiki
Tiki Terrace
Chef Shangri-La

and even Tong's Tiki Hut (the Villa Park location).

And don't miss the Field Museum in the city for their great Aotearoa and other Oceanic Arts display.

i assume from your post that they didn't like the look of yer mug!!

..perhaps they might prefer teakeys mug that he made from hassan's drawing!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-08-17 20:47 ]

T

Au contraire!

I went over there with John Trivisanno from Montreal last month and we got in just fine.

But one night, Scott from Tiki Terrace called me up, saying he had a couple of Tiki road trippers in his restaurant who had tried to get into CP / PC, and had been deee-nied. He asked if I knew the magic password to get them in the door, and since 'swordfish' no longer works, I was stumped. Visitors be warned...

probably were too square to get in!!! lol ...or too cheap lookin....ya know how they love to hustle drinks outta ya there and when your wallets empty, out you go!!!!

R
rupe33 posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 1:43 PM

Does anyone know - in response to an earlier response - is Chef Shangri-La serving alcohol?

~Rupe

T

They got their liquor license back.

They're doing a celebratory event there on September 22.

Not sure if alcohol sales have begun yet - call 'em up and ask... see you there 9/22!

alcohol is definitely being served !! been there a few times since they announced they had their license back...

Chef Shangri-la was serving Dr. Fongs when I went about a month ago -- it was delicious. Is anyone going to the event on the 22nd? Do you know if they'll be having any drink/food specials?

N
Netty posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2007 10:27 AM

This is great. I just got into Michigan City and was looking for some good Tiki'ing. Definitely worth the trip to the Chicago burbs, it seems. If there is anything closer to where I am I would be much indebted.

On 2007-10-08 10:27, Netty wrote:
This is great. I just got into Michigan City and was looking for some good Tiki'ing. Definitely worth the trip to the Chicago burbs, it seems. If there is anything closer to where I am I would be much indebted.

Don't think there's anything near you. Go to Hala Kahiki, it's probably 70 miles from Michigan City. Just don't try it at rush hour. Chef is a few miles closer but not much - they are close enough together to do both easily.

TT

T

As I always say, go to the Chef for some better than average Chinese food and a strong Mai Tai made from Trader Vic's mix, then up the road to Hala Kahiki for some amazing ambiance and for a dessert drink.

On 2007-08-17 20:30, tikibars wrote:
Thanks for the plug, Dave.

There is NO Tiki left in Chicago.
(except for perhaps Paradise Club / Club Paradise, which as of this summer is OFFICIALLY a club - they have a 'members only' sign on the door and refuse admission if they don't like the looks of yer mug!)

(quote)

,,,stopped in the paradise club last night.....haven't been there since you posted the above, james....there was no indication of this being any sort of club, nor were they refusing admission or admitting members only....

I want to update the info on the place....as far as i can tell, nothing there has changed since my last visit....the decor, the patrons, the staff are all the same......

the bamboo moon cocktails were as tasty as ever!!

..if your statement is correct, maybe they realized that a members only club wasn't going to work and went back to the old ways.....i didn't ask...

"the wheels of karma grind slow....but they grind fine !!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-11-27 07:18 ]

Pages: 1 14 replies