Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

European Tiki Modern Tour: Slide show, world premiere of Armchair Travelling docu, Hula Punk live !

Pages: 1 31 replies

This will be a fine book launch tour for "Tiki Modern and the Wild World of Witco" in Germany and Switzerland.
With the Hamburg date set, I can now post this happy happening's schedule:

Here are the official dates:

Hamburg - Thursday, September 20nd, 2007
Klang und Kleid and Hasenschaukel present:

• 8 o'clock PM doors open
  • from approx. 9 o'clock PM slide show from Sven Kirsten
  • after that presentation of the movie "Armchair Travelling"
    (in presence of Jochen Hirschfeld)
  • Tiki exhibition from local comic-strip artists
  • sleazy listening sounds from our DJ

Berlin - Saturday, September 22nd, 2007
Klang und Kleid and EISZEIT Kino present:

• 6 o'clock PM doors open
  • from approx. 8 o'clock PM slide show from Sven Kirsten
  • concert with the Hulapunks

München - Thursday, September 27th, 2007
Klang und Kleid and Trader Vic´s present:

• 7.30 o'clock PM doors open
  • from approx. 7 o'clock PM slide show from Sven Kirsten
  • from approx. 9 o'clock PM buffet diner
  • after that concert with the Hulapunks

Zürich - Friday, September 28th, 2007
Klang und Kleid, Kino Riffraff and the Mata Hari Bar present:

• 8.30 o'clock PM slide show from Sven Kirsten in the Kino Riffraff
  • from 11 o'clock PM concert with the Hulapunks in the Mata Hari

St. Gallen - Saturday, September 29th, 2007
Klang und Kleid and Palace present:

• 8 o'clock PM doors open
  • from approx. 9 o'clock PM slide show from Sven Kirsten
  • presentation of the movie "Armchair Travelling"
  • concert with the Hulapunks

More info at: http://www.klangundkleid.de/events/tikimodern/english/

About the movie: http://www.armchair-travelling.com/

About the music: http://www.hulapunk.com/

Preview of the book: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25214&forum=1&50

The most interesting event in Germany will probably be the Munich one, because it is happening at the original, unrenovated 1972 Trader Vic's, the best preserved Vic's site in Europe:

But be warned that the Munich event coincides with that big Bavarian Luau also known as the Oktoberfest, and all hotels in town are booked up! So if you are coming from outside of town, better arrange to shack up at a friend's place, or not at all.

Tiki carvings, art, and other Tiki treasures by the incredibly talented guys from Forbidden Island will be availble at the Munich and Swiss events, too: http://www.forbidden-paradise.com/eng/gallery.php

The above event poster by Dr. Alderete and other goodies should also be for sale. :)

H
harro posted on Wed, Aug 22, 2007 1:20 PM

Killer poster!!!!

Lucky folks over there in Europe!

T

The poster looks like its from the good Dr. but probably isn't. I wouldn't mine a poster. So does anyone know the date that we in eastcoast America can buy the book and the movie. Don't know which one I'm more excited for, but I'm been waiting for the movie for so long. Years. So its the most anticipated movie and book in my life.

teaKEY

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-08-22 16:11 ]

Which one or Ones to attend?
The tour coincides with our drive to Malta which almost follows the same route, looking forward to it

We are booked on a flight to Berlin to arrive early Saturday am... How can we buy tickets in advance from the UK or can they be reserved to collect on the door?

We'd hate to come all that way, and fail to get in!

Liz & Chris

Double post

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-08-23 12:23 ]

Good question! Took me a while to figure it out myself:
There is no direkt link for buying advance tickets in the English version of the website (I will alert them to that), you have to go to the German OPENING page for the event:

http://www.klangundkleid.de/events/tikimodern/

click on BERLIN, then scroll down to VORVERKAUF and click on "Ticket Bestellen" ("Ticket Ordering", which you definitely should!)

Next page: select "2" (they are 15.- Euros a ticket), and click on "Ab in den Warenkorb" ("Into the shopping cart")
and pay (don't know from there, cuz I did not wanna buy any :) )

Everybody else can do it that way, by clicking on the city of their choice on the German opening page (in case K 'n' K won't update the English version)

There will be the poster, the book, Jochens' DVD, and a selection of Spanish Tiki mugs that Lurker ordered specifically for the event for sale. Lurker was the first to publish photos of the Barcelona Tiki Bars in his wonderful Barcelona city guide:

http://www.city-in-space.com/barcelona/locations.asp?SUBCAT=5&LNG=en

By the way, I really like the website of the Hamburg location too, a small bar called "Die Hasenschaukel" ("The Bunny Swing"), located in the redlight district of St.Pauli, :

http://www.hasenschaukel.de/

...right around the corner of Harry's Hafen Bazaar (!):

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23491&forum=2

P.S.: Ironically, Hula Punk will not perform at the Hasenschaukel event.

V

I'll make one of the date. Now, wich one....
I'd like to combine it with Oktoberfesten, as I always wanted to do it, so now I have to find a friend to offer me a bed in Munchen(Jochen ??).
Sven, there's a price with the book&DVD&tickets for Munich. What if I already have the book ? I don't have to buy it again to make it sign, do I ?
Anyway, I look forward to meet you again.
Nicolas

I dunno Nic....t'is funny how people only like their OWN styles of inebriation...like Navy Grogs at Trader Vic's. To me as a German the Oktoberfest is akin to, or worse than, Spring Break in Miami, so I will avoid it under all circumstances. And hey, get in line, I'M already bunking at Jochen's! (I assume....right, Jo? :) )

Munich IS tempting because of the location being Trader Vic's, but then again it really makes most sense when going for the whole shoobang including the dinner at T.V.'S....which, BECAUSE it is Trader Vic's, is a costly proposition.

I would recommend Hamburg, that venue looks like it has yummy food, and the neighborhood of St Pauli, the harbor and the Reeperbahn is fascinating in its own divey way.

And if you're gonna schlep that brick of a book all the way from Paris to Germany, I will certainly sign it!

V

So cheekytiki, tikichris, german tikiphiles ? Which event are you going to ??

We are doing, Berlin and Munich as we are driving in that direction anyway.
Looks like most of the Brits (Trader Jim, 54 House of Bamboo)are looking at Berlin.

Cool, Jamie, bring me some Mahiki swag! In case you have not been able to figure it out, there are three options to buy tickets online for the Munich event, you find them on the bottom of the MUENCHEN link on the German web page:

http://www.klangundkleid.de/events/tikimodern/muenchen.asp

TIKI DELUXE includes everything: The Book, the DVD, slide show, Armchair Travelling screening, Hula Punk live, buffet and 2 cocktails at Trader Vic's, Exotica DJ at the bar

TIKI LOVER all of the above, sans Book and DVD (if you got both of those in Berlin already, that's your ticket)

TIKI TEASER for the bone broke Tikiphile: Just my slide show and Jochen's film screening, for mere 9 Euros! My am I cheap! :)

Looking forward to catching up with you and meeting Trader Jim.

i'm gonna be at the spring break in munich :D around september 21, so i will at least try to get to trader vic's munich. once i get my schedule worked out better i'll do my best to arrange to meet up with some of you €s

$

......Looks like most of the Brits (Trader Jim, 54 House of Bamboo)are looking at Berlin.

Trader Jim and I have booked out plane tickets we cant wait to see you all there, looking forward to meeting every one
Sian - Exotictramp (Trader Jim's very own hula honey ha ha!)

Who's up for staying here whilst in Berlin, check out all of the rooms!
But why is there no Tiki room?
http://www.propeller-island.com/rooms_neu/room_detail/01/index.php

On 2007-09-02 03:48, cheekytiki wrote:
Who's up for staying here whilst in Berlin, check out all of the rooms!
But why is there no Tiki room?
http://www.propeller-island.com/rooms_neu/room_detail/01/index.php

There's a 'tiki' room in Hamburg at the Kogge http://www.kogge-hamburg.com/
It was scene of my seduction by Mr 54 :blush: :lol: to the gentle strains of the Ramones from the bar below...

See ya all in Berlin!

V
virani posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 2:51 AM

I'm also coming to Berlin with my wahine.
I'll be there friday till sunday.

Sven, wanna go to the Rum Trader friday evening ?? brit-tikis ?

The Rum Trader is always worth a visit! But to be honest, I have NO idea what my coordinates will be that evening this far in advance, I will just have to play it by ear.

On 2007-09-05 02:51, virani wrote:

We won't arrive until Saturday morning - work commitments prevent a longer trip.

See you all soon!

On 2007-09-05 02:51, virani wrote:

Yeah! Some of us have got work to do French Boy! I'll be busy working on POCKETIKI #3...you know the one with the 'Virani le Beachcomber' article in it? It'll be good to hook up again Mr. V! I still need to get some tit-bits from you to finish it off. The BRIT(IKI)sh Invasion is coming!!! One more thing...if you're looking in HULAPUNK...please play 'Shouldn't Have Fallen in Love with a Hula Girl' for Sian & I...it's OUR SONG! Danke!

To all our German friends...The Mai-Tais are on YOU! Ha, ha1!

Trader Jim - Make mine a smooth flight to Berlin!

Here are some impressions from the Tiki Modern Tour. First two photos are from Harry's Harbor Bazaar in Hamburg, which is just around the corner of the Hasenschaukel where the event took place.

This amazing store resembles the European ethnology museums at the turn of the century, a non-didactic jumble of primitive idols and fetishes that inspired moderns like Picasso and Giacometti to redefine what "art" was:

These are just TWO of many rooms and corridors filled to the hilt with vintage tourist art.

(note the vacuum cleaner on the floor)

Jochen and Tanja view TIKI MODERN for the first time...

Jochen's movie is turning out really really good! (He will announce its release here soon)

Berlin at night:

Typical Berlin "art performance"

At the Eiszeit Kino: Demonstrating it IS possible to hold Tiki Modern AND a Mai Tai at the same time!

Hula Punk Live

True Tiki Trooper Trader Jim and lovely Sian the Beachcomber

The Brits show the gray clad Germans how to wear the proper Polynesian patterns!

Sunday trip to the Berlin Ethnology Museum in Dahlem, which has been splendidly re-organized since I visited it last.

Their South Seas collection is spectacular, some of its pieces inspired artists like the Surrealists and the Moderns.

Three Tikis: BOT cover artist Moritz R., urban archeologist (and Tiki Tour promoter) Lurker Grand, and authentic Marquesan carving

The boys providing human scale for one of the Men's club houses

Me with the Marquesan stone head collected by Karl von den Steinen

For Naomi: Beautiful large Nukuoro statue!

This Ethnology museum was once called "The mother of all Museums" because of its collection's influence.

The greatest, most pleasant surprise greeted me at the end, in the Museum's bookstore, where I found TIKI MODERN displayed among all the latest academic art books on Oceanic art! Things truly have come full circle for me :)

V

shit, I missed the exhibition. I saw the sign in the U-Bahn while leaving for the airport...

Right, at last after everything working against us work wise and it looking like we weren't going to make it...we are going to be in Munich...and Zurich!
What was meant to be a 3 Week holiday has sadly been cut down to a quick 2 days with the European tiki Tour.
Look forward to joining you.

Sven, great to see you and glad to see Tiki Modern getting the attention it deserves! Wish I could see you on tour. Maybe we should try to make something happen at the Mai Kai upon your return!!

Please say hi to Hula Punk for me and to Jochen!

And don't think I missed the Mai Kai shirt for a second!

On 2007-09-25 01:21, virani wrote:
shit, I missed the exhibition. I saw the sign in the U-Bahn while leaving for the airport...

Sorry we didn't get to say Goodb... Auf Wiederse... Au Revoir Virani, you must have slipped away while we were chatting. I thought I saw some cards for the SUDSEE Exhibition at the Eiszeit Kino, but maybe not. We didn't get talking about it until we were in the Aloha-Luau Bar after the show. We were lucky, I spotted the promotional postcards as we were leaving the airport on our arrival! Hope to post a couple of pics when the uploading is back in action.

All the Best from Tiki Towers - Trader Jim (Make mine a Mai-Tai!).

The good thing is that the Dahlem Museum's MAIN exhibit is permanent, all my photos you see above are from that. The special, added exhibit on the Mallangan art was cool too, but the main exhibit is more varied, and any visitor to Berlin will be able to visit it for the next twenty years....that's how long it took them to re-display their collection this time. So don't feel bad, it's all there, museums are on SLOTH time in today's world :) ...that's why I love them. And we are all jealous you have your mussee de quay branlee (..or whatever the correct spelling is)!

congratulations BBT, your commmitment, expertise, knowledge and finesse are recognized by many! Loved and respected too!

Sven, Jochen, Lurker and everyone else involved, Congratulations on this event we had a blast.
Saw old freinds and met many new ones, Trader Vics in Munich is beautiful, Mata Hari in Zurich is my kind of bar when it comes to having a beer.
Here are a couple of Pictures

Coconami

TVs

Hula Punks

Dr. Funks Son

Kon Tiki Zurich, the outside and inside differ considerably.

Mata Hari, Zurich. Could this be Crazy Als Swiss Cousin?

Jamie and Anji, thanks for coming all the way to Munich and Zurich, I hope the book made your trip worthwhile. The Munich Trader Vic's is indeed a jewel of the chain, and I took lots of pics to share. Unfortunately, the attitude of the Hotel management and the staff reflected the fact that in 35 years they never had to worry to fill the place with its posh, well-moneyed celeb regulars...much like the Beverly Hills Vic's. But hey, that is the same reason why the place has remained as it was originally built in 1972! It is simply gorgeous:

At one of the hotel's conference rooms, where the slide show and screening took place, the boys from "Forbidden Paradise" set up shop, with Haikai doing some demo carving...

...here is Kai carving, while Micha snaps a shot.

One of Kai's distinctive Moais

Down at Trader Vic's, the event poster finds itself in good company

The bar with its original lamps, among them the distinctive birdcage lamps which now can only be seen in situ at the Havana Trader Vic's

The room that was reserved for the after party

closer shot of sea life diorama in the same room

Two guys waiting for the restroom (note that two similarly magnificent Marquesans that are at the inside and outside entrances above have been de-"tiki"-ed, missionary style !!!) [Translation: They got their pee pees lopped off...]

Magnificent ceiling detail

Original Barney West Tiki

Listening to the band

Anji, DJ Lemonsqueezer and Hai Kai

...and now on to Zuerich and St. Gallen:

The view from Lurker's pad

Sign at the door to my (nice) hotel reading "This house does not rent rooms on an hourly basis. We appreciate your understanding." The place was in the red light district (didn't know they had those in Switzerland!)

Me posing under Forbidden Paradise -made mask

The amazing Forbidden Paradise table (with Kai). They brought all this to three cities!

Lamps at the Mata Hari. I LIKE lamps!

Jamie (cheekytiki) and Kai at the Mata Hari bar

Me and Grau (owner of Mata Hari) show off our shirts

Which of these balconies was decorated by a Tiki fan?

St.Gallen, home of Klang und Kleid

Disneyland Switzerland

Klang und Kleid store window display

Local wood carving tradition

nother fine piece of architectural folk art...

..but what the...!?

The "Palace", an old variety arts theater, where the last event of the tour took place

Palace entrance at night

The audience in disbelief...

...at Hula Punk from St. Paulinesia, who finally got to perform as the rock stars they really are!

In closing, I would like to thank my sponsors Lurker, Pino and Phillip from Kland und Kleid http://www.klangundkleid.ch for making this grand book tour possible, and the boys from Forbidden Paradise http://www.forbidden-paradise.de for their enthusiasam and belief in Tiki!

European Tiki Rocks!
Kai, I will say it again, you are one of the BEST carvers around at the moment and I'm sure many that have seen your work will agree.

Michael your graphic style is fantastic, roll on your mug.

Mogambo, I forgot to say how great it is to see that your film has so much British footage, can't wait to see MORE?

Grau, Mata Hari takes some beating when it is time to party, I will definately be back, Zurich is my new favourite city!

Sven, I've now had time to look thru the book properly, It's different!
It's not the BOT part2 which I thought it might be, it shows so much more which will hopefully inspire everybody here to not only create more but change their views on the possibilities and future of the Tiki artform.
Thanks so much for your Kind words.

The Tiki Torch is being taken up in Europe in a big way at the moment and it is all down to these people, all of you in the States should really take notice of these guys, they really are creating the future.

P

On 2007-09-30 12:34, cheekytiki cheeked checkbook checkout checkouts hectic checked chaotic shtick choked Chiquita wrote:*

European Tiki Rocks!...The Tiki Torch is being taken up in Europe in a big way at the moment and it is all down to these people, all of you in the States should really take notice of these guys, they really are creating the future.

It is interesting that 'modern tiki culture' is seen as being so American! Obviously with damn good reason, but it is not exclusive, I think Jamie has a good point when he says that the Europeans are taking up the 'tiki torch'. Anyone with even a basic knowledge (that's ME!) of Polynesian history, will know that the Europeans (that includes us BRITS!) have been there right from the start, o.k. not right from the start but way before any other outsiders! It's not so strange therefore, that we would have an interest in the popular culture that has come out of California in the mid 20th century. By George we LOVE that stuff!! However, like so many things in life, a fresh look from another angle is often what is needed to push the boundaries of a genre that is in danger of stagnating. Now don't think this is a cheap shot at 'Tiki America', it is far from it. Some of the new stuff that is coming out of the States is way cool! You all know that!!

A good example that comes to mind is the recent Tiki Farm Kahiki Fireplace mug! Not just the product, or the fact that it celebrates one of the most fantastic tiki restaurants ever, but as important to me, it is putting something back by sharing the profits to enable the 'original' fireplace to be restored. Great thinking! That to me is what inovative* innovative invasive inactive innovate informative initiative invective inventive innovating innovated innovates invite annotative infective intuitive invitee involve invade tiki should be. Take it, run with it and have fun with it! Just don't drop it!!

This is not what I started out to write so I'll stop while I'm probably behind! Ha, ha! I had just wanted to mention that I have posted some pics of the Berlin Modern Bash on the 'TIKI MODERN: Apologies, Comments, Critique and ...questions' post in the General forum. Hope you like them.

Remember what the 'British Invasion' did for US Garage music in the early sixties? Well keep an eye on BRITIKI and it's twin brother EUROTIKI...we're getting up a head of steam and it's not from boiling the kettle for another cup of tea!

Just one last thing...If anyone mentions the Boston Tea Party!!!

Gotta go now...the kettles just boiled! All the Best - Trader Jim (Make mine a PG Tips!).

Pages: 1 31 replies