Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New member YAAAY!!!!

Pages: 1 9 replies

Newbie carver just recently inspired by attending tiki-oasis 7. Thank you to Tiki-ray for some awesome tips. A very special thanks to all the great people at the chop shop. I will be looking forward to the tenative O-side event. I did pick up a nice piece of palm which I started carving on with a chisel set I bought off ebay for 18 bucks. I also started carving up a 4x4 piece of redwood which I found laying around. Every piece of wood I see..I want to carve. I have no prior experience. Just a deep desire to carve tiki. Maybe an addiction? Anyhow, Glad to be a part of such a great family. Hope to meet you all soon. Here are some pics of my first attempt. I will update pics as they are completed.

wow ...great start.....keep going...i also picked up 3 half logs at oasis ...ive started working on a moai.....its addictive.....after watching those guys you just want to tear into it,,,,keep chippin away..theres a tiki in there......

[ Edited by: closettiki 2007-08-23 21:25 ]

Welcome !

This place is a wellspring of great ideas, inspiration and tips for us new carvers. Yes , it is an addiction! I started with one cheapo chainsaw and now I have 4 chainsaws, a grinder, torches, a trailer for hualin' logs, a hand chisel set in the mail, a backyard that is starting to resemble a palm tree graveyard/Tiki God nursery and a wife who is very understanding.

But I still have all my fingers!

One hour later, this little guy has a tongue. I didn't really plan it, it just showed up. I've found out that a razor sharp chisel is key to get clean cuts without any shredding.

Lookin´ good! Always interesting with work in progress pics

B

Yeah, Quit teasing us and Get it On. Carve that bad boy so we all can see him. Can't wait. HappyHappyHappy.

C

This looks very promising!

Another hour of work. I like the way this guys eyes are countersunk. He looks kind of sleepy. A few more sessions and it should be done.Yes I did put a torch to it to see if it brings out color.

M
mieko posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 9:58 PM

Welcome tikimanalex!
You're off to an amazing start! Look at those legs!!! My first attempts at carving into a 4x4 did not work out - glad yours did! It looks like you really understand how to work in 3 dimensions. Hope to meet you on the 8th - looks like you might be able to teach some of us some new tricks!

Just about finished. I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get a four foot piece of round palm tree? I want to carve a traditional standing tiki. I am in the San Diego area, and yes I will pay for it. It looks as if I have somewhat of a talent for this.

Pages: 1 9 replies