Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Who sells unglazed tiki mugs?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I'm looking for some basic tiki mugs that are unfinished and ready to be glazed. My sister-in-law teaches high school ceramics and was interested in having her students start with something already cast that they can just glaze and decorate themselves, much like the stuff you get at those ceramic craft stores. We haven't been able to find any blank tiki mugs and I'm wondering if someone might know where to find some.

you really don't "find" unglazed mugs in the wild and businesses (unless it is a ceramics shop where you can take a class and glaze your own stuff) don't sell them cause, believe it or not, there really are stupid people out there that don't know it isn't safe to drink out of unglazed mugs, thus businesses can avoid the lawsuit by not selling them to the public......

..however, why not give those students a crash course in making a plaster mold as well by taking a generic mug (or one you don't mind parting with) , mold it and cast the mugs yourself.....you can then have them fired and the kids will now have mugs to glaze, the added bonus being that now they know how to make a mold too!!!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2007-08-24 05:56 ]

also...you can usually search ebay for plaster tiki molds..i have found some in the past...usually from places that have gone out of business and have to sell off their stock.

O

Good idea about doing the casting. I've also thought about contacting some of the boutique Tiki mug makers and seeing if they had unfinished products they wanted to sell. They probably aren't interesed because they wouldn't want to see one of their designs, poorly glazed, on eBay. But maybe they'd want to create something just for that purpose. There are lots of unfinished plates, cups, and mugs sold for those mall ceramic art shops so I don't think the liability thing is a problem. I've very surprised someone hasn't caught on to the fact that there are lots of Tiki mug fans.

Pages: 1 3 replies