Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents Tiki Taix XXXVII End Of Summer Blowout

Pages: 1 28 replies

Friday August 31st, 2007 10PM No Cover

This month we say goodbye to our sunny summer season and hello to our sunny fall season at the annual Tiki Taix End of Summer Blowout.

King Kukulele, Malahini Marc, and Ricki Kon Tiki play tunes for the Tiki Taix crowd. Come hear some of your favorite Hawaiian and Hapa Haole standards as well as original songs. The new CD “The London Luau Presents Live At Trader Vic’s” is out now and will be available at the show.

PLUS

Bill Tapia is just 4 months shy of his 100th birthday, and he is going to celebrate the big End of Summer Blowout with his friends at Tiki Taix. The last 3 months have been a non-stop party for Bill, who says, without a doubt, 2007 was the best year for parties since 1922. Oh my, what a year! So come watch and hear the man who knew Waikiki before Hawaii was a state.

PLUS

The Polynesian Paradise Dancers take a break from their busy schedule to help Tiki Taix say bon voyage to summer. If you haven’t seen these hypnotic dancers, then you clearly need to stop by Tiki Taix and see what all the hullabahula is about. You’ll also get to see them dance to their signature song, “Polynesian Paradise” off the new Friki Tiki release, “The London Luau Presents Live At Trader Vic’s”

PLUS

Part V “Duke Kahanamoku – This Is Your Life!” from 1957. See the final chapter of this classic look at the like of the Duke. He is surprised by his wife who tells about his life in politics as the Sheriff of Honolulu. He is then greeted by three men whose lives were saved by Duke 32 years earlier in a storm in Newport Beach, Calif. The conclusion includes the presentation of prizes for Duke including the replacement of a stolen hood ornament from Dukes car in Waikiki.

PLUS

A behind the scenes look at the making of the Tiki DVD at Armchair Travelling, which has just wrapped post-production in Munich!!!

Join us for this one night only event. We'll be at Tiki Taix 1911 Sunset Blvd. in Echo Park, Los Angeles 90026 One block north of the lagoon.

A
Al-ii posted on Fri, Aug 24, 2007 4:08 PM

Hey LA people,
I'm going to this. I'd like to see some more faces, Sabu, Z, T-bird, U-Dream, B-Elvis, Poly Pop, Cyntiki, Tina, Big Bro, Boris, PHIPIRHO. Come on out folks last blowout of summer.
Mahalo,
Al

P

Sounds great and I would love to be there, but I will be in New York on the 31st. The only Tiki in Rochester is a Tiki Bob's Cantina. Somehow the words "Tiki" and "Cantina" just don't seem to fit together, but I'll drink a toast to all my ohana back at Tiki Taix while I'm at Dinosaur BBQ.

On 2007-08-24 16:08, Al-ii wrote:
Hey LA people,
I'm going to this. I'd like to see some more faces, Sabu, Z, T-bird, U-Dream, B-Elvis, Poly Pop, Cyntiki, Tina, Big Bro, Boris, PHIPIRHO. Come on out folks last blowout of summer.
Mahalo,
Al

I should be able to make this one,
Unless a surf show pops up, but I don't know of any as of yet.
Tiki Ti before?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I'll be there and Tiki-Ti before and maybe after?? Sounds delicious.

I should be able to make this one,
Unless a surf show pops up, but I don't know of any as of yet.
Tiki Ti before?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Dude! You can make this! remember..Pioneer Chicken across the street??? LOL! Let's all make this a Taix to remember!!! And YES Tiki Ti before!!!

WoooHoooooOOOOOOoooooooo!!!

Al,
Would love to go but I'll be at the race that night.

I

Did someone say pioneer chicken? I may have to do that and the ti! I am only now recovering from Tiki Oasis! This would be just the ticket to get back in to the groove of uh..... more Tiki!

Ok so
Pioneer at 7 ish. mmmmmm chicken
Tiki Ti at 8 ish, Mmmmmmmmm Rum
Taix with the King at 10 ish, ummmmm entertainment???
just razzing ya King. you da man.

sounds like a plan.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey, I'm so IN! Bill Tapia is sooo adorable.

I'll be at the Ti before Taix as well!

TL

OOOO, this looks like a blast!

I've got a deal at the Bowl earlier that evening, but if the crew can send me over by cannon at the end of the 1812 Overture...

I just had Kentucky Fried chicken and it was horrible,yuuck.
I am so ready for Pioneer on Fri. then Tiki Ti, Then Taix with the King.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

D

I told a few people I would be there this Friday but I forgot that I have family coming from out of town on Thursday till who knows when. It looks like I'm going to have to miss it, sorry King Kukulele :( I was looking forward to the show.

Is it Friday yet?????

I don't know if my mouth is watering for the pioneer chicken or drinks at Tiki ti.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey Guys,
Its great to hear that you'll be at Tiki Taix all chickened up and greasy. It looks like its going to be a great night and the news on the big DVD of Tiki is pretty exciting.
See you there,
King

Is it Friday yet???? I heard a rumor that Crazy Al may make an appearance...He may even bring his coconuts! (And possibly a very cool mug or two!) Pat from the Smokin Menehunes may be there with his uke as well!

Tiki Ti around 8???

TM

I think Pat (of the Smoking Menehunes) may very well be there! But I won't-I have to hang with the family.

Anyway, have fun! King's parties always swing!!

Sounds like fun I haven't seen the king perform in a LONG while!

No Chicken and Ti for me, but I'll see ya at the Taix

WOOOOHOOO! TGIF FINALLY :)

I'm leaving here in a few minutes after 6 pm, will be at Pioneer around 7:30 hopefully.

tiki ti at 8 ish.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

BB

Last night was fun.

Bill Tapia was great

and it was cool to see Cheeky Girl Rockin' Out with The King and Crazy Al.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-09-01 08:16 ]

TL

Hey, lotta fun last night at the Taix!

Of course, there was that one guy who went ape-schlitz right around when I got there, but our little village jumped right in, with SoccerTiki mastering the situation right quick.
Nice work all, and special thanks to King Kukulele and the rest of the band, who continued in excellent spirit through the ... um ... impromptu festivities.
What a treat to hear ukelele players with experience ranging from 4 lessons to 80 years of performance!
Cheeky, you sound great; keep it up!

See y'all next month!
... sorry, what was that?
Oh yeah, it is next month!

P

Wow, wish I could have been there, but we made finals again. WooHoo!

Need security for your next party or event: Call 1-800-SOCCERTIKI

Son of Kelbo & Mrs.

The Purple Orchid Crew

Bora Boris and his new doo

Tiki Lion

Jeff & Cheekygirl

John Paul & Marie

BettyBleu and her friend

Cheekygirl unplugged

Big Tiki Dude Chillin

Bill Tapia and Crazy Al on the coconuts

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-09-03 19:13 ]

Big Tiki Dude Chillin

oh my god I look like I am drunk,
that can't be.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

P
Puki posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 10:23 PM

My wife and I showed up for this. It was impromp, got an e-mail about it that morning, then saw King's post here. Since we missed the Bahooka anniversary TC get together, [we went a day earlier] so we decided to go over to Tiki Taix. We dont know any of y'all yet. Seen some of you at events and in pictures, but I just haven't walked up and introduced yet.

Anyway, it was fun. King Kukulele is a true pro, Bill Tapia was very entertaining, Akemi was great. Crazy Al is sooo cool, without a doubt the best coconut player I've ever had the pleasure of seeing live [and that's no BS]

We left a few minutes after the scuffle, which fortunately was short and controlled quickly. [we were glad the guy exited fast and didn't get much of the attention he was craving]

Anyway, nice night out. BTW from the pictures posted here, we were sitting next to the couple with the picture caption "the Purple Orchid Crew" To their left, next to a small partition wall at the cocktail lounge entrance door.

Like an echo from the days of the Speak-Easys -- with one guy in the joint who really knew those famed days firsthand... We were less than six degrees away from Louis Armstrong, pre-statehood Hawaii, the Volstead Act, and Pearl Harbor.

It was a night of legendary ukulele talent (the venerable Mr. Tapia related that his first performance, when he was around ten years old, was for the USO during World War I! -- and that was just the start of an amazing, ongoing 80-year career), with outstanding and distinctive accompaniment on stand-up bass and percussion, plus supremely graceful hula, fine drinks (at least mine were), very nice French Onion soup (a French Polynesian staple?), and everybody got leid -- er, received their own charming personal leis -- er... (I'll only get in deeper with this one...) What could make for a more unforgettable evening?

Unless of course you add a bar fight! Yes, some socially-retarded psycho decided to start a slug-fest, creating a knot of brawling dudes heaving into tables and smashing the drinkware. And as the participants piled-on, there's 99-year-old Bill Tapia gazing out on the melee, strumming a merry cover of (I kid you not) "Crazy" (reminding me of a piano-player in the Dodge City Saloon stroking the ivorys while the shoot-out blazes beside Miss Kitty's bar...), neither missing a note nor faltering in time, while SoccerTiki entered the fray and began separating the combatants.

Believe me, if you ever get into a bar fight, you'll want SoccerTiki there -- but only if he's on your side. With good-natured yet unquestionable authority, ST's powerful intervention no doubt chilled things before anybody got seriously hurt. I'm pretty certain that might have been a real possibility, because, as the a**hole who started the donnybrook was led off by his surly brother, he suddenly picked up a chair and hurled it into one of the previously ummolested tables(fortunately vacant), smashing more glassware and adding to the wreckage. With a foul, indiscriminately violent gesture like that, there's no telling where things could've gone if he hadn't been shown the door. But I could tell he was done as he passed by me with a last look back -- he didn't want to tangle with SoccerTiki again.

King Kukulele MC'd the return to order as smoothly as Rick Blaine uprighting a prone sherry glass in the Cafe Americain, commenting as Mr. Tapia unfalteringly concluded his current number that "this always seems to happen when he plays "'Crazy'..." Bravo. Truly an unforgettable, intimate, and slightly dangerous evening. This is the kind of ukulele playing your mother warned you about.

Cheers out,
JohnnyC
SOK

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-09-04 12:05 ]

I was amazed at what a long set Bill Tapia played. That gent has stamina! I thought he was only going to play a few tunes, but he played into the wee hours. It was great fun listening to his
stories.

A true entertainer, he didn’t even flinch or miss a beat when that retard at the bar went into full jerk-mode and made a fool of himself. It was a sea of hawaiian shirts to the rescue -- with SoccerTiki in the middle lifting at least 2 guys up by the scruff and peeling that that jerk off the other guy and had him in an arm/bar restain in 2 seconds flat....

UFC #37 at Tiki Taix! Tickets for UFC #38 on Sale Now!

Oh, and thanks for not throwing tomatoes or old shoes while I attempted to play the uke. I was really nervous! I forgot everything I knew....

Pages: 1 28 replies