Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help identifying voodoo(?) carved board?

Pages: 1 5 replies

TZ

Hoping someone can help me figure out what I have here. A friend found this carved and painted board at a yard sale and gave it to me. The owner said that she bought it several years ago in New Orleans. It stands about five feet tall, and is carved and painted. The wood looks like it was pretty old before it was carved, probably salvage wood. Could be cypress. It is attached to a custom-built stand, made of heavy metal plate. The person who owned this has expensive and eclectic taste, and this may even have come from a gallery. No artist signature that I can find. Any ideas?

Detail of the front

Back

Detail of the back

Very nice find, I think it's from the middle sepik river area in papua new guinea. I could be wrong but it might be called a "spirit board"? Bullet has some nice pieces in his collection from that area, he may have more accurate info.

I was also gonna say Papua New Guinea.

http://www.greyhoundog.org

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-05-20 13:41 ]

TZ

In light of your suggestions, I did some searching and it looks like you are right. I believe what I have is a "gope" board in the New Guinea style (either original or reproduction). Since it was originally purchased in New Orleans, I just assumed it was local folk art. Thanks for the help.

I had been planning to put this in an outdoor location which is under roof, but can get some exposure to blowing rain. Starting to question that plan, though.

Please keep it safe from the elements. Display it inside if you have the room :)

Looks like an early Ken Ruzic snowboard! :wink:

Pages: 1 5 replies