Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

RumFest New York - October 15th

Pages: 1 32 replies

S

The Polished Palate is sponsoring Rum Fest on Monday, October 15th, at Valbella's restaurant in the Packing District.

Dozens of sugar-cane based spirts - rums, cachacas, agricoles - will be available for tasting.

For more info, please check: http://www.polishedpalate.com/events/rf2007/

This will be the first time I'm attending this event, but I am truly looking forward to trying as many new rums as possible. And I hope to see some Tiki folks there - we all know how important rum can be at times...

Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews & Info

[ Edited by: Scottes 2007-08-29 08:49 ]

OOH, thanks for the heads up!

B

Gah!!! that sounds like one hell of a great time. Unfortunately, we're off to York, PA that weekend, and there's no way I could swing it on a monday.

I expect a full report from those of you who DO go!!

IN.

Absolutely, positively, with complete certainty and without a doubt definitely in.

Because of the educational benefits only, of course.

and for 10 bucks more you get an extra hour of drinking...I mean learning?

oh yeah - VIP, baby.

S

Excellent Joe!

By the way, your signature reminds me of "when I used to drink professionally." :)

Scott - thanks for the word on this event - I could not spend a lot of time on the website earlier at work, but checked it out at home and signed up. C'mon, "dozens of cane spirits"?

Like 4 hours of tasting (and education, of course education) for 50 bucks? It only sucks that it's a Monday night for anyone out of town.

If anyone is on the fence about this, I would say sign up. Nicole and I went to a rum seminar at the Natural History Museum last year that was totally sold out with people waiting to get in. And that event only had about 4 tastes. This event is seems way better because it is a true rum tasting event and not more of a book event ("and a Bottle of Rum" - good book by the way).

Anyway, that is my 2 cents after having a couple of home-made mai tais just like mom used to make.

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2007-08-31 17:19 ]

I'm really tempted, after a zombie (just like mom used to make, of course!). After payday we're THERE!

I'm in. It's educational, after all. Far be it from me to refuse an opportunity to become a more cultured, well-rounded member of society. In fact, I think it's my duty to attend. I humbly accept the responsibility.

J

Can anyone suggest a reasonable hotel in that basic area of the city. - I would love to go but would want to stay the night. I know reasonable is relative when it comes to NYC.

I want rum!

You're welcome to crash at our place if you'd like. We're a bit over an hour outside the city, but the advantage is you get to park free and avoid the bridge tolls. We'll be taking the train home.

S

My better, smarter half demanded that I get a room for the night. For anyplace reasonable it was $350. Ouch.

But it does allow me to hit a few liquor stores in the city the next day, and I hope to find numerous rums that I can't find around here.

Guys - you can do much better than $300 for a hotel - here are a couple of ideas:

http://www.chelseapinesinn.com/

http://chelseainn.com/

There are many smaller hotels that are pretty close or only a short cab ride from the rum event.

Scott - sorry to lay some bad news on you, but NYC is not really a rum mecca. The liquor stores are generally so small that they usually do not have very extensive selections of any one type of booze. Sometimes I have found some unique stuff, but it is really hit or miss. I get most of my best stuff in MA or from the world wide interweb.

Joe

S

There's a couple of stores I've heard about over on the Ministry Of Rum, like Astor Wines, that have a few that I can not get. Right now I'm mostly looking for some agricoles, and Clement is the only one you can get in Mass as far as I know. Depaz, La Favorite and Neisson just don't have distributors in Mass.

And if I can't find them in the city there's a few places I have flagged in Conn along the way home.

K

I won't know if we can attend until I get my work schedule in early October.
Rum rum rum!

On 2007-08-29 08:21, Scottes wrote:
The Polished Palate is sponsoring Rum Fest on Monday, October 15th, at Valbella's restaurant in the Packing District.

Dozens of sugar-cane based spirts - rums, cachacas, agricoles - will be available for tasting.

For more info, please check: http://www.polishedpalate.com/events/rf2007/

This will be the first time I'm attending this event, but I am truly looking forward to trying as many new rums as possible. And I hope to see some Tiki folks there - we all know how important rum can be at times...

Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews & Info

[ Edited by: Scottes 2007-08-29 08:49 ]

Sounds like a great time, we really enjoyed the last event we attended. Grab some photos along with the rum!!

-adrian

UT

I just signed up- who else is going? yum-yum rum!

It looks like the Rum Fest is shaping up to be another good event for the troops.

I know there are even some New England folks coming down for the Rum Fest on the 15th, including Scott (known to all here as Scottes), who will be fresh from leading a rum tasting of his own at Bargoyle's on the 13th, and potentially favoring us with a rum tasting of our own in NY on the 14th (if there is interest).

Sooooo, in the interest of furthering NY/NE Tiki relations, Nicole and I were thinking of having a little pre-Rum Fest gathering on Sunday night (Oct 14) for anyone who will be in the NYC area. Nothing outrageous, since it will be a school night for many, but I'm just trying to gauge the level interest - so post here or send me a PM.

No need for anyone to be going to the official event on the 15th to come over on the 14th - it's just another excuse to round everyone up and try to keep this NY tiki snowball growing.

I am pretty sure we will be able to get Scott to share any stories from the FOM rum tasting event at Bargoyle's the day before (check out that thread - live music, tent cities, tiki mugs and I am sure "dozens of other of individual acts of perversion, so profound and disgusting, that decorum prohibits listing them here"). Sorry Bargoyle, just bummed I could not make it up to your place and I couldn't resist the Animal House reference.

Anyway, since Scott is coming to NY and will already be in full "rum-tasting mode", he has promised to bring any leftovers from the FOM rum tasting (yeah, right - there's gonna be leftovers). However, in the very likely event that there are no leftovers, Scott says he may be able to scrape together a few rums for our appreciation.

Again, I don't want to over-promise anything, since we are not looking for this to become "Rum-A-Palooza 2007" - after all I live in a Manhattan apartment for cryin' out loud. However, let's get a sense of the interest level, have a gathering on the 14th, and maybe there will be a palooza in the future.

Sorry for the long post - that is all.

S

For all you rummies that might make it to Joe's, please do! I will be bringing some different rums than at Bargoyle's just in case anyone makes both.

The event at Bargoyle's is a full-blown Rum Education And Tasting event, complete with rum facts, history, lore, and educational hand-outs. I'm sure that I'll be tuckered out with a sore throat from all the yapping I'll be doing, so the night at Joe's will be a rum appreciation night, in a sense. Just some simple sampling of some good and unique stuff. I'm certainly not adverse to visiting the city (November?) for a full-blown rum tasting if there's interest, just not two nights in a row.

And hell, it's just another excuse to get together with good friends.

[ Edited by: Scottes 2007-10-02 08:27 ]

T

Any chance of Mr. Ho showing up for that? he was the first to mention it to me.

MR. HO!!!! Are You out there?

I am planning to do some tasting. See you there!

-Jack

S

He'll be at Bargoyle's as far as I know. Maybe that was the event he mentioned?

UT

I'm up for a pre-tasting tasting on the 14th. I can bring a rum or two...

Leisure Master wrote: Sooooo, in the interest of furthering NY/NE Tiki relations, Nicole and I were thinking of having a little pre-Rum Fest gathering on Sunday night (Oct 14) for anyone who will be in the NYC area.

Sounds like a plan! Spoke with Nicole today: Damian and I will be there and we'll even bring some goodies. Looking forward a pre-Rumfest rum tasting!
Gina

P.S. Apparantly, we're also going to the 10/15 Rumfest...

K

David and I should be able to attend and can bring some snacks!
Just let us know what time in the evening.

Thanks for hosting!

Aloha,
Kiki

K

If you're looking for something to wear to the rum tastings,
I have posted today on the Tiki Central Marketplace section of the
Forums about discovering a surprise cache of fabulous vintage
Hawaiian mens shirts in a random little East Village shop, and
they are all marked down to sale prices. David scored big time
and I found some gal stuff too but there are plenty of men's
shirts left in various sizes & excellent condition.

Just go to the T.C. Marketplace Forum, I posted under
"NYC: Vintage Hawaiian Shirts in the East Village."

Your fashion-forward Big (Pine)Apple Princess,
K

[ Edited by: KikiTiki 2007-10-07 08:27 ]

This event was really really really good. Nicole and I were glad to see Scott, Ray, Gina and Damian and we even met Rum Runner representing the west coast!

Scott - thanks for posting and thanks for leading a pre-Rum Fest rum tasting on Sunday night at Desmond's Aloha Lounge. Very informative and a great warm-up for this event, where most of the company reps seemed to know Scott, who was like a kid in a candy store (me too).

Some of the rum companies were talking about next year, so it looks like there's going to be another event. Let me tell you, these companies were NOT stingy with their rums. Getting home last night is still a blur - I think I poured myself into a cab and disappeared on you guys! Definitely not the kind of thing I should be doing on a Monday night. The only reason I don't have a hangover is I think I'm still drunk.

A couple of highlights (I am sure others will add more):

• The weather turned right away when we arrived. First stop was the Gosling's stand where it got Dark n' Stormy right out of the gate. I was sipping on that for a while.
  • Ron Zacapa should be coming out with a 25 year-old rum next year. They currently have a 23-year as their oldest
  • In addition to their excellent VSOP and Creole Shrubb, Clement was providing tastes of their Cuvee Homere, a blend of best 3 vintages of past 15 years, and their XO, which is a blend of the vintages from 1976, 1970 and 1952(!). Also, their 1997 vintage was available for taste and it was great too.
  • Very few spiced rums or flavored rums were there, which to me was great to see. They always taste so artificial and just plain crappy.

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an enthusiast.

[ Edited by: leisure master 2007-10-16 06:33 ]

Sorry we missed it and even sorrier we missed the pre-tasting warm-up!

T

I want to rethank Liesure Master and Bird Girl and Scotte for the wonderful pre-tasting tasting. Yes, there is Tiki in New York City!

Jack (and Margery)

S

I think "kid in a candy store" was an understatement... :)

I had a great time all weekend, many thanks to Joe and Nicole for hosting me and letting me crash in The Cave. Thanks to all those rum tasters who suffered through a couple rums and enjoyed so many. I'm finding that it is very easy to introduce rums to people.... Once they try something like the Cherrywood Reserve or Zaya or Ron Zacapa... well, it's easy to hook most folks.

I will, of course, be blogging all about this weekend. The rum, the friends, the rum, the Snappin' Jazzman and his intra-dimensional cab ride across Manhattan.... Oh, and more rum.

I can never think of a more enjoyable weekend - a dozen new rums and a dozen new friends!

Both rum tasting events were great- thanks to Scott for sharing the knowledge, anf Joe and Nicole for being great hosts. I think the ol' liver is due for a rest!

Sounds like a great event. Unfortunately I couldnt make it -- I was out in San Diego drinking mai tais at the Bali Hai! :)

next time count me in!! - I'll remember to take the train and NOT drive in!

NYC Nov 5th MONDAY fisheman at Ottos 2 sets startin at 10p - we'll start earlier as far as drinking and eatin ? - take out! from?

I'll post a new thread in events!

K

On 2007-10-17 14:40, sneakyjack wrote:

NYC Nov 5th MONDAY fisheman at Ottos 2 sets startin at 10p - we'll start earlier as far as drinking and eatin ? - take out! from?

I'll post a new thread in events!

I saw a new Thai place on East 14th St. that does sandwiches, salads and soups.
I've also had Indian appetizers delivered to Otto's in the past.

I'll watch for your post in events and think about it. That weekend is CaveStomp too!

That weekend is CaveStomp too!

What is it about that weekend? It's also the WFMU Record Fair!

Pages: 1 32 replies