Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Home made Tiki mugs using bake-at-home clays?

Pages: 1 3 replies

I’ve been trying to make Tiki mugs using low temperature polymer clay. I’m experimenting with a type that hardens in a home oven. Because they’re not recommend as a food grade product I’ve been sculpting them around class mugs. I then use Hodge Podge to seal them and give them a somewhat shiny and smooth texture similar to fired mugs. I’m a terrible sculptor, but the material produces pretty nice results. Has anyone else tried something similar?

H
hewey posted on Fri, Aug 31, 2007 8:18 AM

Nope, but I'm very interested to see what you've come up with. I've considered a similar approach (glass insert in a tiki mug sleave), but using magic sculp (2 part modeling epoxy that dries naturally). Post some pics! :D

I am no artist either but enjoy playing with polymer, can you post some pictures? Polymer is great because you can make such cool faux materials like wood, jade, abalone shell, etc. And it never dries until you're ready so you can keep messing with it until you get it right (or give up).
PS - Future liquid acrylic floor wax also makes a great sealer for polymer.

T

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20963&forum=18&hilite=danlovestikis

Danlovestikis made the first tribute Severed Heads for oven baked clays. Probably the coolest mugs had from the oil clay around.

Pages: 1 3 replies