Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

OK... who can make a vertical slit drum

Pages: 1 18 replies

B

Aloha,

OK, I am in process of learning how to play a vertical split/slit drum... seems as though they just don't carry these things at the local Target. I know they have been brought up before but please show me what you have and what you think needs to go into making a great one (keeping in mind this will be getting played and not just looked at) Also who in the TC Ohana makes them... and what it's going to cost me!

I know I have seen references to G-man's work and he has told me of JohnnyP... if anyone else has some suggestions and insight it would be appreciated. As always pictures are great!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: blowfish 2007-08-31 18:33 ]

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Aug 31, 2007 9:44 AM

JohnnyP might do be able to do it....here is one he made for a TCer:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25268&forum=1&hilite=slit%20drum%20hakalugi

-G

B

How big you want it?

Hi guys, thanks for the replies so far. The 'typical' size I see being used within my halau is aproximately 3 feet long by 6-8 inches in diameter. Definitely something one could easily stick in a trunk, but not so small the sound is weak. I don't think I need anything more than a large tootsie roll shape with the slit cut out, and then I can carve some decor on it myself... then again if any of you have something sitting around you want to get rid of tell me!

Mahalo!

I can't make a split drum.....but i can make a shoe smell!!!

Sperry Topsiders with no socks, every day for a month. Smells like death. I can't make a split drum, either but I may like to have one or learn to make them.

H

There's way too much P in this thread.

It's slit not split.

B

Split/slit. Heres one I made for a back then Mai Kai band member .

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-08-31 16:28 ]

B

That is a sweet "slit" drum... I meant slit and not split, but I work at a startup and my brain is continually overwhelmed....

So what would a little beauty like that go for if I may ask?

edited to add if anyone wants to shoot me a quote: [email protected]

[ Edited by: Blowfish 2007-08-31 16:59 ]

B

One like that would be less than $500.

You would want it standing Vertical? decorations galore, what are you into for tiki/decorations?

On 2007-08-31 13:47, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
I can't make a split drum.....but i can make a shoe smell!!!

I can make a drum split. A couple whacks and presto.

B

Hey Benz, I will send you a pm to see if we can work something out... not for decoration though this one will be a user! I am learning to drum as part of a Hula Halau.

B

Hey Blowfish. Here are pic's of the log I have. There is a usable 30 inches and he could stand upright if thats how you would want him.. Pm me later

I guess it helps if I actually POST the Pictures huh? Sorry 'bout that.

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2007-09-02 10:28 ]

B

Wow, hard to imagine how the end result will be, but that is why YOU are one of the masters!

[ Edited by: Blowfish 2007-09-03 09:53 ]

B

I wanted to say to everyone that Benz and I have agreed to the project and he will be making the slit drum for me! I would be thrilled to watch some pics of the work in progress whenever you can Benzart.

Mahalo!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 10:16 AM

GROG can make a vertical slit convulse with pleasure if that what you mean by drum.

so, it's just that easy, huh? ok ben, i wanna 4' tall lono. get right on that please! :D i'm excited to see ben's progress on the drum. ernie, you're a bad boy!

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 10:53 AM

[i]On 2007-09-03 09:55, Blowfish wrote:

I would be thrilled to watch some pics of the work in progress whenever you can Benzart.

Me too!!! Good goin' Ben!

B

I will take as Many pictures as I can, sorry I don't have a video camera except my phone.
I'll start on it this week. Thanks!

Pages: 1 18 replies