Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki in Rome?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Ok, I know this might be far fetched, but does anybody know of any tiki spots in Rome Italy? I'll be heading over there in about two weeks, so any hot tips would be greatly appreciated!

FM

I did some searching and this was all I could find, the Le Grand Bar at the St. Regis Rome Hotel:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/stregis/property/dining/attraction_detail.html?propertyID=71&attractionId=28085

Hmmm. Doesn't look or sound too promising. No tikis to speak of, but there's this:

"... exotic fruit cocktails imported from the Caribbean such as the 'Mai Tai' and 'Scorpion'."

But then again, you're going to be in effing ROME! unlike us poor suffering bastards :) stuck at home, so all is not lost. Enjoy.

• SV
B

No Tiki in Roma! I was just there last month and there is nothing even close to Polynesian.

Rome is sweet. Of course things are never as one expects them. Here are a couple of things I can share with you;

If you want the stamp in your passport you have to ask for it and sometimes the don't have the stamper.

$ bring lots of money. It is very expensive. Seriously!

It was pretty darn hot and staying hydrated is important. Stop in a grocery and stock up on Gatorade, if you buy it from the street vendors it will be expensive and most of them freeze them and it takes longer than one might wish to melt. Besides, It's better if your drinks are not cold because it tricks your body into shutting down your natural cooling processes (a.k.a sweating). Speaking of sweating, your fellow tourists will tend to be on the "RIPE" side.

You will see this everywhere, so you might as well know what it means;
Senatus Populusque Romanus ("The Roman Senate and People"), referring to the government of the ancient Roman Republic

Take the guided tour at the Colosseum, otherwise you wait in a very long line, It's really not that much more. Be sure and base your choice on the tour guides ability to speak understandable English. Seeing it is one thing, the information from the guide makes it much more enjoyable and will enhance your appreciation. If you get a chance to walk around Rome at night certain areas are very pretty.

There are these guys dressed up as legionnaires for photo ops.

Negotiate your price BEFORE the picture is taken. They expect to be paid for the shot and will try and shake you down. This guy wanted 5 euro which with the exchange is around 7 dollars. It seems to be the standard rate but I would offer 3 euro as a "That's all I have, take it or leave it." and it might fly.
( as of today 5 US Dollar = 3.66816 Euro ) Don't use the exchange at the airport ! just use the ATM's for the best rate.

When in Rome!

You can get weaker Absinthe in the states but they do have the good stuff! Get a bottle and try it. Ask the salesperson about the proper way to drink it. You have to pour it over a sugar cube into a glass dissolving the cube, stir lightly and sip. My recommendation is enjoy it in a safe environment. Also try the Lemoncello!

The best shopping and prices are at the airport! No fooling. So save room in your carry on. If you plan to buy and bring back booze, buy it at the airport, put it in your carry on ( yes, you can... you have already gone through security so it's o.k. ) Just remember that when you get back to the states you will collect your luggage and transfer the booze to your checked bag before going through customs and immigration and rechecking your luggage to your final destination.

One last thing, If you plan on renting mopeds........ DON"T. If you must, Make sure your living will is in place and wear a helmet. I am very well traveled and have "Been Around" and I'm no wimp, but...... I found it very ,very dangerous and returned the moped early and did the taxi thing. It's just not worth the risk. They are freakin crazy drivers.

But, at the end of the month there is a Tidal wave of Tiki pushing south through Europe ending just north of italy, could it be worth a quick detour?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25353&forum=4&15

R
Rain posted on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 3:35 PM

so, how'd this turn out in terms of tiki? i'm going to rome and naples in january and would be interested in tracking down any spots of interest.

edit: ok, i just read the post about no tiki in rome. :/

[ Edited by: Rain 2007-10-25 15:35 ]

Lots of framagio, vino, espresso, and grappa, though no tiki at all. Rome is awesome, you will have fun. Check out Campo de' fiori after 10 o-clock, but wear a helmet.
Ciao-ciao

EDIT-crap-old post sorry

[ Edited by: SPIDERCRUSHER 2007-10-25 23:57 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies