Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

How many versions of Quiet Village ?

Pages: 1 16 replies

S

Listening to a version I've never heard before by Ray Lindsey thanks to Vegas Vic's . Besides Denny's , Arthur's and Les' versions , what others do you know of ? What's your fave non-Big 3 version ?

Wynton Kelly's version. That's my favorite non-Denny version, period. Shit swings so hard on the B section!

O

Which Wynton Kelly album?

I second the Wynton Kelly vote. Although the Les Baxter one is great too!

S

On 2007-09-01 09:43, OnyaBirri wrote:
Which Wynton Kelly album?

http://homepage1.nifty.com/ModernJazzNavigator/cddatabase/wk7.htm

Comin' In The Back Door from 1963 .

Henry Mancini did a BANG UP version on his excellent release "Music of Hawaii". Mancini plays a Baldwin Harpsichord that adds an etherial but cool feel to the song. The "50 Guitars" LP has a great version of QV as well as an album called "Exotic Guitars" on the Ranwood label. Can get enough of that Quiet Village!

Just a quick glance at my iTunes brings up quite a few:

Martin Denny version from original Mono Exotica
Martin Denny version from stereo Exotica
Martin Denny version from Quiet Village
Martin Denny Moog version
Les Baxter
Eddie Baxter (organist no relation to Les)
Arthur Lyman
Henry Mancini
John Evans
Don Tiare
The Tampicos
The Surfmen
Ted Auleta
Clebanoff Strings
Vinnie Bell (Electric Sitar version--my favorite!)
Living Percussion

God knows how many more in the vinyl pile--these are just the burned ones!

This is nowhere near the most-covered song by the way. Pagan Love Song and Miserlou have way more versions out there. Same goes for Bali Hai and Taboo.There's probably a zillion versions of "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago but those albums are considerably crappier. The grandaddy of them all, for me, is Caravan--35 versions immortalized in iTunes, at least that many more in my record collection, and I still love that song!

My favorite is the disco version by the Ritchie Family! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0gmEqhczik

This is probably the definitive list, though:
http://www.spaceagepop.com/quiet.htm

[ Edited by: cynfulcynner 2007-09-04 16:09 ]

Here is some early Tiki/Exotica revival history: The Track lists of the three music cassette compilation by Canadian/Berlin artist collective KBZ 200. In the early 90s they began using the three Exotica classics Quiet Village/Taboo/Caravan as Non Stop Soundtracks for their performances, and made three cassette compilations of different versions of these, called the "EXOTIC TRILOGY".
Here are the cassette inlays:

After that, they managed to get 2 of 3 CDs released under the same concept, here is their history/manifesto as described by themselves, taken from the second CD:

Their performances were sort of Exotica meets Devo. Here are their liner notes/"technical charts" from the inside cover of their rare "Exotic Trilogy II" CD:

Their legendary bar in Berlin, the "Schmalzwald", was one of the funnest places to spend the night at, and did away with any scholarly pretenses of "art". This was art being lived and laughed about. It was a fine time.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-09-05 00:00 ]

R
rupe33 posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 4:44 AM

I've got an iTunes Smart Playlist that adds any new versions of 'Quiet Village' anytime I put another version into my library. At this point I've collected 50 versions, a collection which was well served by some music blogs posting compilations of QV covers. Was going to link to those blogs, but the files are no longer availalbe.

Cheers,
Rupe

BM

is that 3 cd set even worthy if you like the classic Quiet Village sound? because i saw that a long time ago and ALMOST got it--but it was over 38 bucks and then someone had a download of a bunch of Quiet Village versions (including Quiet Village Idiot-AWESOME!) on a blog spot and that kinda placated me for all things Quiet Village

The genius of the 3 Exotic trilogy Tapes, or 2 CDs, is not really about, and obviously beyond the "classic" Quiet Village sound.....AND, if that even is conceivable, one must recall that these tapes were created before CD burning was common, and that the 2 CDs were put out before there were music blogs, I-tunes and music downloads. Just like there used to be Tiki collecting without e-bay :) !?

This was classic Vinyl archeology, unearthing castaway items from the forgotten jetsam and flotsam of consumer culture, and imbuing them with new meaning by putting them into a new context. It was what they used to call an "Underground" activity. The tools have changed, and now it has become not really an "Overground", but maybe one of many "Paralellgrounds"?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-09-05 07:55 ]

B

Tape trading... Sigh Sometimes I miss those days. Making mix tapes took effort and meant something and people actually LISTENED the stuff they unearthed instead of just storing a hundred million mp3s on their hard drives.

The "Technical Data" on the Exotic Trilogy liner notes is brilliant--I'll be cracking up tomorrow from that.

On 2007-09-05 07:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
The genius of the 3 Exotic trilogy Tapes, or 2 CDs, is not really about, and obviously beyond the "classic" Quiet Village sound.....AND, if that even is conceivable, one must recall that these tapes were created before CD burning was common, and that the 2 CDs were put out before there were music blogs, I-tunes and music downloads. Just like there used to be Tiki collecting without e-bay :) !?

This was classic Vinyl archeology, unearthing castaway items from the forgotten jetsam and flotsam of consumer culture, and imbuing them with new meaning by putting them into a new context. It was what they used to call an "Underground" activity. The tools have changed, and now it has become not really an "Overground", but maybe one of many "Paralellgrounds"?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-09-05 07:55 ]

IZ

On 2007-09-03 22:07, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:

Clebanoff Strings

I was just listening to that version tonight. Really good, esp. for the Clebanoff Strings. But I can't help thinking that the ocean effects sound more like water running through the plumbing of the apartment above your own.

X
xtabay posted on Fri, Oct 5, 2007 8:54 PM

I've reposted Quiet Village Vol 1 & 2 on my site

http://xtabaysworld.blogspot.com/

AWESOME!!!!

Thanks xtabay!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 16 replies