Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Would you sail from the US to Australia via the south pacific islands?

Pages: 1 20 replies

S

I am curious, if any of you were actually given the chance to sail (not on a cruise ship, to actually sail, yourself), across the south seas and to places like Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, the Cook Islands, etc on route to Australia, would you do it?

Suzanne

(edited to correct the spelling of my own name. I'm so excited about the possibility of sailing the South Seas I can't even spell my name!)

The Diva Pinup Exquisite Hair Flower Accessories - http://www.thedivapinup.com

[ Edited by: suzanne 2007-09-04 10:09 ]

B

Sounds like a dream come true for me! I spent one season racing sailboats out of Santa Cruz... lot's of fun and who wouldn't want to sail to all the best places on Earth... now if only I could find someone to pay my bills while I went that would be perfect!

It's good to dream...

I wouldn't have to think twice, it's one of my life long dreams.
Tradewinds all the way.

Woah! I'll come with you, Suzanne!

Hope you are keeping well ...

Love Liz & Chris

1. you found a sugardaddy
  2. you won the lottery

Hell yes!!!

S

No sugerdaddy, no lottery, but although it isn't 100% yet, there is a real possibility that I might be able to to this. I'm not sure, but... maybe.

Suzanne

I'm working on my "dream list".... mmmm... I've done alittle sailing. I'd need to develop a whole lot of knowlege and skills first.

Wasn't there a film like this?

I SAILED TO TAHITI WITH AN ALL GIRL CREW (69) Lighthearted male fantasy fluff about a chap who bets that he can sail to Tahiti with a crew of nothing but... women! Talk about bygone eras. With Gardner McKay, Diane McBain, Arlene Charles. Bebe Louie, Mary O’Brien, Jeanne Rainer and Edy Williams!

I don't know how to sail, but I do drink.

S

You kill me JungleTrader. I drink too. Isn't is almost a requirement if we want to post on this board? :wink: I used to sail, it's been a long time though and I'll have to relearn everything if I do go on this expedition. I have a feeling if I do go, I'll be doing a lot more sailing than drinking though!

How are you, by the way?

Suzanne

S

by the way, what was your #3?

#3?....I was going to let you fill that in.
btw, drinking properly is a learned skill. Not to be trifled with.
How the hell are you going to sail from Denton? Denton is landlocked. Just messin' with ya'.

S

Well, I don't know if it will work, but the manual says I should click my heels together three times....

Suzanne

S

Oh and for the record, I'd probably be sailing out from Southern California.

Suzanne

H

"Would you sail from the US to Australia via the south pacific islands?"

Quite honestly it would depend upon how big the sail boat is. Seasickness is no fun. Nor is capsizing.

So just how big of a sailboat are you talking about?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 8:12 PM

Damn straight I would want to do that! :D And if you do make it to Australia, I'm in Sydney and can show ya around :D

S

Our destination would be Sydney! If I do make it! :D

G
gonzo posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 1:25 PM

As a veteran of some sailing ventures I can say that cruising is not an easy thing. Its down right exhausting. Between long stints at the tiller, sunburns, seasickness, all nighters, maintenance, sheer terror, and a good chance of getting killed, I would do it all over again.

I dreamed about it all the way through frigid high school in Toledo Ohio. I bought a 18 foot Cape Dory Typhoon that had a tree growing in it for $1500 as a junior. I sailed it in Lake Erie for two seasons. After graduating in 1980 and working up $500 I hitched it up to my little Toyota truck in January and trailered it down to Key Largo. I solo sailed the Caribbean for 6 weeks. I got as far Georgetown before turning back.

Im lucky to be alive after that. I really should have had more sense then I did. I mean the basics like check the weather forecast was beyond me at the time. Alone in the Gulf Stream at 3AM with 40 knots is no fun.

Go for it. The Bahammas in the winter are a much easier place to cut your teeth on this though. I see Cape Dory's listed in Miami all the time ( you wont go wrong with one of these) get a 25 or a 28 but if your made of steel go for the 18.

Ive done more sailing since with more money and better equipment but nothing measures up in my memeories as that solo sail at 18 years. Still dreaming the same dream 30 years later with three kids

You guys have me thinking again maybe soon ...

Thanks guys

I'd go. I would probably never make Austraila though. :)

TT

I think you are insane!
But let me know if you make it to Sydney...

Pages: 1 20 replies