Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Traveling To Bevery Hills [Edit: Trip Recap]

Pages: 1 13 replies

End of this month I've a conference at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza. I'll of course visit Trader Vic's at the Hilton... where else should I go to get tiki-with-it?

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2007-10-04 07:07 ]

R
rupe33 posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 6:48 AM

Must... visit... Tiki-Ti!
Multiple times!
With cash in hand! (no plastic need apply).
~Rupe

Yes, yes... Tiki Ti... my kind of place!

H

If you have a car you should visit Tonga Hut. It is about 20 min away on the
fwy from 405 and Santa Monica, if there is no traffic. Try Sunday evening not much traffic then.

Thanks hiltiki. Haven't decided on having a car vs taxi. I will get so lost in a car, but maybe it's worth the trouble so I can get to these places.

Many of the rent-a-cars now have global satellite mapping systems. Just punch in a location and it gives you the lefts and rights. In L.A., it's best to have a car. Things are so spread out here. If you need a deal on a rental, let me know. I've still got connections with Hertz Rent a car from when I had my auto repair shop. I can get a compact car for about $20 a day (without the satellite mapping).

T

cars are the way to go in LA! Things are far apart and a cab would wind up costing as much or more than a rental.

Thanks all! GRT, thanks for the offer, but I'll get a car through my company. I'll make it to Tonga Hut for sure... Tiki-Ti will not be open (#@!*#!)

H

You should call up Tiki Ti, they are usually open. Also try Purple Orchid in El Segundo and Damon's in Glendale both are not too far from where you are. Not tiki but real vintage try Musso and Frank Grill on Hollywood Blvd.

On 2007-09-14 07:38, hiltiki wrote:
You should call up Tiki Ti, they are usually open. Also try Purple Orchid in El Segundo and Damon's in Glendale both are not too far from where you are. Not tiki but real vintage try Musso and Frank Grill on Hollywood Blvd.

You mean they sometimes open up on a Monday or Tuesday?????

H

Sorry I meant in general. They tend to be closed sometimes for vacation. :)

FYI..... Tiki Ti is closed until Weds., Sept. 19th :(

On 2007-09-14 19:53, WooHooWahine wrote:
FYI..... Tiki Ti is closed until Weds., Sept. 19th :(

I have made this mistake multiple times

I had a fine trip to all the communities of Los Angeles, a real treat for this dyed-in-the-wool Midwestern guy.

1. Got my copy of Tiki Modern at the Taschen bookstore in Beverly Hills.

2. Visited Trader Vic's at the Beverly Hilton at about 9PM on Monday night and enjoyed it more than I expected. It is a good bit upscale, and I'm OK with that-- the vibe was good. The drinks were top notch, the tiki scultures very fine. The service was was good, the manager(?) got to our table immediately as our server was occupied. The server was fun, pretty and attentive. The bar is open to the pool and so many guests enjoyed their drinks on the comfortable lounge chairs beneith the palm trees. The pool is in a courtyard with the hotel enclosing all four sides. On one huge wall they were projecting a surfer movie, (w/o sound). It was a terrific touch.

3. Made it out to Tonga Hut. I can see how fun this place would be when it's packed with TC fans with an art show going on. Tuesday at 7PM there were only a couple of bar regulars. We enjoyed our Zombies and the tiki details.

4. Drove by Tiki Ti just out of respect, it was not open.

Pages: 1 13 replies