Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Fogcutter story

Pages: 1 4 replies

So my son Joe (Tiki Joe) & I are coming out of Wallgreen's today and we see this old dude sitting in a boat of a car covered with WWII hats and stickers. Now I'm a lifelong pacifist and have no patience for war or the war-morons of today, but I was compelled to talk to this old guy because, let's be honest, our involvement in WWII was a necessary evil. As most 80-somethings will do, he meandered through many so-so stories, so I moved him towards his time in the South Pacific. That did the trick. He regailed us with shore-leave shenanigans with the local Pacific Islanders only to end our talk with a sweet story of how his first date with his wife of 54 years was at the SF Trader Vics. He fondly remembered ordering a FOG CUTTER, and to this day, old Vern's nickname has remained "Fog Cutter". At 83, he now claims "four is my limit!" Here's to you Vern, and the first Fog Cutter I'm now sipping, courtesy of a 1947 copy of "Bartender's Guide...by Trader Vic"

FOG CUTTER

2 oz Puerto Rican Rum
1 oz Brandy
1/2 oz gin
1 oz orange juice
2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz orgeat syrup
sherry wine float

shake all but sherry w/ice into 14 oz glass
add sherry float, serve w/ straws

Now THAT'S a great story! The stories of the old guys are engaging, and better than fiction.

Is this the recipe from the Grog Log?

H

On 2007-09-05 09:49, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
Now THAT'S a great story! The stories of the old guys are engaging, and better than fiction.

Is this the recipe from the Grog Log?

Nobody here should ever have to ask a question like that. Isn't owning a copy of the Grog Log a TC prerequisite?

Don't think the posted recipe was from the Grog Log...

On 2007-09-04 19:22, Tiki Joe's Pop wrote:
courtesy of a 1947 copy of "Bartender's Guide...by Trader Vic"

H

I think what the Mayor meant was "is the Trader Vic's recipe as posted the same as the one in the Grog Log?".

My answer is: See my above post.

Okay, okay, in order to save all of you time and energy, the answer is Yes. The recipe posted above is the same one that can be found in the Grog Log.

Now go buy a Grog Log.

Pages: 1 4 replies