Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

How Much Sould I pay For This Witco?

Pages: 1 14 replies

Here in the Midwest, we don't run into much Witco. I found an interesting piece in an antique shop that I'm going to back and maybe purchase, but I've not noticed much information on pricing Witco, and I need a ball park figure.

Yer gonna say I should post a picture, but I don't have one. Let me describe it: It is a hanging plant holder, the lower piece horizontal, carved maybe with bird heads on the ends, about four feet long. It is hollowed out a bit to hold plants. This is attached to two chains which go up to two individual carved, vertical pieces, each about two feet long, which attach to the wall each shaped like stretched out dog bones.

There's a Shag print that shows part of a Witco just like this one.

I don't know if a decent price is $25, $250 or $2500. Can anyone give an idea?

Does it look modernist? Primitive? Conquistador? Really, without a picture it is pointless.
From your description, and at this point in time, still seconds before Tiki Modern will alter America's Witco awareness forever ( :) ) I would not pay more than a hundred to one fifty...if it is in great condition. A "deal" would be under a hundred...

On 2007-09-15 08:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
Does it look modernist? Primitive? Conquistador? Really, without a picture it is pointless.
From your description, and at this point in time, still seconds before Tiki Modern will alter America's Witco awareness forever ( :) ) I would not pay more than a hundred to one fifty...if it is in great condition. A "deal" would be under a hundred...

Yes, awareness alteration on-the-brink! Thanks for the direction. I couldn't find a price the other day, so when I get back there I'll find out just how much negotiation I need to do. The hunt is fun, recognizing what others have missed is fun, but getting the best price is even more fun!

K

Is it the Luau bowl pictured in the center of the page? If so it should measure around 7x48x45 and back in the early 70s sold for $70.00

On 2007-09-15 11:16, keigs20 wrote:
Is it the Luau bowl pictured in the center of the page? If so it should measure around 7x48x45 and back in the early 70s sold for $70.00

Ching! Ching! That's it! $70 then... $100 now?

T

I have the Luau Bowl like you are describing. I think I paid $20.00 for mine maybe two years ago. I bought it at a local second hand furniture store. I now have it apart. The two pieces that mount to the wall are by my fountain. I am making brakets to mount the bowl as a mantle piece above my fireplace. It looks like a canoe with waves on each end. At least thats what it looks like to me. Click the link to my webshots. On the first page it is there intact. On page three you can see the pieces mounted on the wall but not the bottom piece yet. It is a cool piece. I hope you get it at a good price, good luck, Scott

http://community.webshots.com/album/277581721zJZDsS

Thanks tikicar! I love this place, you guys are so well informed! $20!! You've really thrown down the gauntlet! I'll be able to get back to the shop that has the piece on Thursday, but I'm expecting to pay more than that.

The shop also has a painted beach picture that was cool. I don't have the vocabulary to describe it well... It was about 3' by 5', no boats or figures in it, lots of oranges and blue-greens, rough texture in places... anyway, it looked very '60's and if it's still there I'm gonna buy it.

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2007-09-16 11:03 ]

T

Hi Bongo: Well I know I got it super cheap. It was in their back room and of course they didn't know what it was.

On 2007-09-16 07:24, tikicar wrote:
Hi Bongo: Well I know I got it super cheap. It was in their back room and of course they didn't know what it was.

THAT's what we're all looking for! This piece I've found was being used to display some other pieces so I'm hoping they don't know what it is. And with TIKI MODERN coming out, I'd better hurry!

Update: Not that anyone is sitting on the edge of their seat... unless, of course, you usually sit on the edge of your seat...

I went back to the antique shop for the Luau Bowl today and now there's a tag on it that says, "SOLD-on layaway, 8/22".

So I talk to the gal at the counter and she says she knows who is buying it, it has been on layaway for a couple of weeks, the sign must have fallen of when I was last here, he is certain to be back for it, and yes, he's dealer and is not buying it to keep it. "Well, perhaps I can buy it from him," I say, "What did he pay for it?" "$22 or $25", she says, and she'll have the guy call me.

So, I've got that going for me... which is nice.

J

The guy did a layaway for $25 !?!? I'll bet if he's that hard up for the money, he'll take a pretty low bid from you for it!

T

Yeah, A lay away for $25.00 He can't be much of a dealer then. There is a Mac machine every three feet???????? Plus any real dealer doesn't go anywhere without cash. Good Luck, Scott

T

TikiRacer

That Gator Witco is super sweet. Looks like something Bosko did. Now I know where Bosko gets all those good ideas. He has seen all this stuff but I 'm seeing for the first time.

T

Sorry, TikiCAr

found this, don't think there was a direct link to this on Boskos site

http://www.tikibosko.com/woodart.htm

T

Yeah, Everyone loves the gator. I would love to find one of the Hippos that Witco did as well.

Pages: 1 14 replies