Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Sherry in the Fog Cutter

Pages: 1 17 replies

In the last several years, I have grown incredibly fond of rum... (thank you everyone!). As such, what limited knowledge I had of wine or... sherry has been relegated to the dark recesses of my foggy mind. So as I try to replicate the TV fog cutter, I have struggled to find a suitable sherry. Going to the local spirits store provides an abundance of choices and many blank stares when asking for help with the fog cutter. So.. can anyone recommend a type or brand of sherry? (I tend to like my drinks just a little sweeter).

I usually use Dry Sack, an Amontillado-style sherry and easily obtainable. If you like it really sweet, then Harvey's Bristol Cream could fit the bill but challenges the original character of the Fog Cutter.

H

Does anyone know if it makes any difference if I use Cream Sherry instead of Sherry Brandy in the Fog Cutter?
I also have Maraschino Liquor but no Sweeet Sherry.
I don't know anything about this, please help.

The Fog Cutter is a Trader Vic signature drink. I've had many of them at the restaurants and have frequently made them at home. While Trader Vic's 1947 "Bartender's Guide by Trader Vic" doesn't specify the type of sherry his 1972 "Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide" states that one should use sweet sherry. I've made it at home with Dry Sack (dry sherry of course!) and cream sherry (sweet) and agree with the trader, the sweet sherry float makes for a more flavorful drink. With dry sherry I find the Fog Cutter flavor to be delicate and that it doesn't leave much of an impression besides the after effects of the alcohol.

I use whatever cheap cream (sweet/rosso) sherry i find at the grocery store.

H

Thanks for all the info, I am having one now and it is good, not very sweet and very strong. I used the cream sherry I had. By the way after some research I found out that the shelf life of cream sherry is very short so I need to use up this bottle fast or throw it out. I could store it in a dark cool place or in the frig but not for long.

I keep my creme sherry in a kitchen cabinet and it is still in good shape over a year later. Besides the Fog Cutter I don't use it much. It is 36 proof so I think it is pretty stable at room temperature. I use "Private Preserve" inert gas wine preserver though.

For what it's worth, I have tried a couple different sherrys when I make Fog Cutters. I personally think that Harvey's Bristol Cream lends itself nicely to the drink. It may not be true to the original, but it makes a tasty Fog Cutter.

Beachbum Berry said that the Fogcutter is made with Pisco. Anyone make this cocktail with Pisco?

R

On 2013-01-07 14:22, Franco Cabachi wrote:
Beachbum Berry said that the Fogcutter is made with Pisco. Anyone make this cocktail with Pisco?

Franco, where did you hear or read that it was made with Pisco?

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.