Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

NYC: Zombie Hut, Brooklyn Thur. 9/27 - NY Ohana Meet Up!

Pages: 1 30 replies

K

Okay, time for an easy tiki expedition:

Gather 7pm on Thursday, Sept. 27 at
Zombie Hut
273 Smith St
Brooklyn, NY 11231
Phone: (718) 875-3433
Cross Street: Degraw Street
Directions: F; G at Bergen St
This bar is Cash Only

Citysearch Review:

Born in a tiny lounge a few doors down, this ever-popular tiki bar grew into its current wide, deep and high-ceilinged space. Colorful fish swim in a giant tank, and an attractive staff stirs up potent frozen drinks, mai tais, and shareable scorpion bowls, served aflame with a few extra-long fluorescent straws. In the cozy back room, guests cuddle on couches, a tropical mural brightens the walls, and a wood-burning fireplace keeps the air balmy year-round.

The house specialty is the Frozen Zombie, an alcoholic Slurpee-like beverage that comes with a shot of 151 in its neon straw--so beware of the first sip! They also serve a Scorpion Bowl for 4 people.
Get $1 off cocktails from 5pm to 7pm on week nights

We have never been but have been wanting to check it out. It would be more fun with you all!
Aloha, Kiki and David

I should be able to make this!

CaptainQuad is going to try to make this. I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to, but hopefully he can get over there after work. We've been there once and enjoyed it. The first sip of the zombie is VERY boozy!

Kiki = thanks for finding new things for the group to do! I think Nicole and I can make it. We have also never been to the Hut but have been wanting to go for a long time. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Mary and I will try to make it.

I think I will be able to make this after all!

D'OH! I need to start reading these things a little more carefully! I thought it was tomorrow night, even though Kiki put the date right in the subject line. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it after all. I'll miss seeing you!

P

Thanks for posting this Kiki. I have walked past the Zombie Hut twice now but it was during the day and they weren't open. I really want to go. Count us in. We just moved to Brooklyn a month ago and we are looking forward to meeting the NY Tiki Ohana. Vanessa and Brian.

I was on the fence with this one because I didn't want to drive and be tempted by their glorious drinks. But last night I was t-boned by a pick-up truck, and that kind of made my decision for me. All I have now is a bike, and there is no way I'm going to ride it into Brooklyn to drink rum drinks. I'll look forward to the next gathering.

Raf - sorry to hear about the accident and I hope the car was the only one damaged.

Hopefully we will see you at future gatherings.

Joe

On 2007-09-21 20:18, Raffertiki wrote:
But last night I was t-boned by a pick-up truck

John -- while reading your post I assumed you got hit while on your new Triumph. So, strange as it may sound, I was very relieved that you had a CAR accident (hopefully w/o injury!). Try and make it to Otto's -- especially Nov 3. Dave

K

What's at Otto's (Shrunken Head I presume) on Nov. 3, Tiki Kollektor?

And sorry to hear about the driving snafu, Raffertiki
that's one thing I dig about Gotham, subways!

On 2007-09-22 12:28, Tiki Kollektor wrote:

On 2007-09-21 20:18, Raffertiki wrote:
Try and make it to Otto's -- especially Nov 3. Dave

[ Edited by: KikiTiki 2007-09-23 08:01 ]

On 2007-09-23 07:58, KikiTiki wrote:
What's at Otto's (Shrunken Head I presume) on Nov. 3, Tiki Kollektor?

Bongo Surf AND Mister Neutron in the same night! :)

That's everyone, but yes I am very okay.
TIKI Kollecktor, if I was on my bike I would've been creamed and buried in a coffee tin, but thankfully I wasn't. It gave me a lot to think about though, especially considering the Triumph became my only mode of transportation. I will definately shoot for Otto's. That's an easy train ride, and a cab. Life is a funny place.

T

I have been curious about this place also and would love another excuse to hang out with the NYC tiki crowd (and of course guzzle rum!) Can anyone give this outer borough challenged East Villager travel advice? Like what's the best way to get there?

Anyone know more about the vibes of this place? Is it loud rock and roll like Otto's?

K

According to Citysearch:

273 Smith St
Brooklyn, NY 11231-4739
Phone: (718) 875-3433

Cross Street:
Between Degraw Street and Sacket Street

Directions:

Take the F, G trains to Carroll St
Downtown East Manhattan, you can catch the F train at Broadway/Lafayette
or at 2nd Avenue at Houston Street

It's not too many stops in Brooklyn to Carroll Street which takes you right to the Smith area.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/fline.htm

T

Got it and thanks. Looks very easy. Hope to see you then.

Jack

K

David and I will be there tonight, come rain or shine!
I think there's a scorpion bowl calling my name.

Hope to see some tiki ohana!

I will be there, but Mary has to work late, so won't make it. I'm looking forward to seeing the NYC area TCers again.

T

Have to work also and cannot make it this time. Looking forward to the next and please
post a description/photos of the place!

-Jack

"Kiki.....oh Kiki....."

Funny, I hear it calling your name too.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight.

not near bk this day - so I'll have to pass but will try again soon... I think Fisherman are playing Monday eve at Ottos....

You should start a new thread re: the Oct 1 free Fisherman show

On 2007-09-27 08:53, sneakyjack wrote:
I think Fisherman are playing Monday eve at Ottos....

On 2007-09-27 10:16, KikiTiki wrote:
You should start a new thread re: the Oct 1 free Fisherman show

I'll go if there's a TC turnout.

K

Mahalo to those who ventured out to explore new Tiki territory!

There has been a proposal that we all meet up Monday 10/1
for the free Fisherman Band performance 10pm at
the infamous Otto's Shrunken Head......
Come early and grab tables!

Aloha,
your Big (Pine)Apple Princess

I had a lot of fun at this event! There was a pretty decent turnout of about seven people, and we stayed pretty late (I totally lost track of time). The drinks were surprisingly good, especially the Suffering Bastard. Good seeing everyone again! Thanks to Kiki for organizing this, and whoever had the good idea to order from that Cuban sandwich place!

I'm plannin on being at Ottos Tonight - Monday for the Fisherman - not arriving til first set starts like 10p.

I know this is a hijacked thread from the zombie visit but I figured I'd bring it back!

K

I'm home with a cold. Hope the rest of you are out having fun!

good times were had - at Ottos last eve...
There was a good handful of people - lets try to get it rockin next 1st monday of the month November 5th. I'll put up a post - I know Mondays are rough to go out but Tiki Mondays at Ottos are always good!

T

Hey! What did everyone think of this place? Any photos?

-Jack

good times.. I did not take pics this go around...

here is a link to a past party it basically went down like this minus the christmas theme - come by Nov 5th MONDAY
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22024&forum=4&hilite=ottos

Pages: 1 30 replies