Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Counterfeit Tiki Farm Shag Ratongo mug?

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

Does anyone else think that this is a counterfeit?
It isn't listed as a "Shag" mug but it clearly is a Tiki Farm Shag Ratongo. It is listed as "Tiki Farm Hawaiiana Tall Big Teeth Mug" ebay item #170150177816.

LT

I saw that item a day or two ago and wondered the same thing. The Shag/Smile comment struck me as suspicious.

Looks like a dealer that sells just about anything.....may have no clue what it is.

T

I got two words for that mug... Bo Gus!!!

M

Maybe Holden would know more, but to say I think it says "Smile" then turn around and say he's a expert when it comes to tiki mugs. I think something funky is going on. But it's still a cool mug with a different glaze.

Rob

I think it's a one off shag. It's not unusual to have color tests or A P's out there. PM Holden for sure. Bid if you dare

LT

On 2007-09-17 21:05, MauiTiki wrote:
Maybe Holden would know more, but to say I think it says "Smile" then turn around and say he's a expert when it comes to tiki mugs. I think something funky is going on. But it's still a cool mug with a different glaze.

Rob

I like it too, but I would want to verify that the guy is not misrepresenting his merchandise before bidding.

[ Edited by: LOL Tiki 2007-09-17 22:01 ]

LT

The seller has added the following caveat to the bottom of his listing:

*On Sep-17-07 at 18:42:44 PDT, seller added the following information:

There has been some question as to whether this mug (I am told it's a Shag Tall Ratongo Mug) is authentic. I do not know if they made this mug in this color or glaze, but I am not an expert in tiki mugs and cannot say for sure if it is authentic. Please bid accordingly."*

Edit: I sent a pm to Holden and asked if he could comment.

[ Edited by: LOL Tiki 2007-09-17 21:55 ]

[ Edited by: LOL Tiki 2007-09-17 22:00 ]

Man, is that gruesome! I think what we're seeing here is the second ed. run of this mug but in an experimental early test of the new glaze (it took a solid 4-6 test runs to dial in this brown glaze). I saw (& destroyed) those that were off but... wow... nothing like this. You may notice if you own this 2nd ed. Tall Ratongo that there may be a tendency for some to have a slightly runny effect - doesn't detract but just a characteristic of the glaze. They never would have shown me this one - I would've pulled the plug had I seen anything this bad & they were hungry for the business.

GT

On 2007-09-18 16:31, MakeDaMug wrote:
Man, is that gruesome! I think what we're seeing here is the second ed. run of this mug but in an experimental early test of the new glaze (it took a solid 4-6 test runs to dial in this brown glaze). I saw (& destroyed) those that were off but... wow... nothing like this. You may notice if you own this 2nd ed. Tall Ratongo that there may be a tendency for some to have a slightly runny effect - doesn't detract but just a characteristic of the glaze. They never would have shown me this one - I would've pulled the plug had I seen anything this bad & they were hungry for the business.

Holden, Maybe ask the seller the dimensions of the mug? I know, You know if it's 10% smaller than the original it's a re-molded copy, I went to the Long Beach Antique swap meet not to long ago, And I couldn't believe how many vintage mugs where being sold as vintage, But smaller than the originals, All made in China! Just a thought! Mahalo, Gogo

LT

It's at $46.00 with two days to go.

I own one of these mug's from the second edition set and this one
doesn't even appear to be from the same mold, bad glaze or not.
my 2 cents

LT

Sold for $82.02 - not bad for a "mistake".

LT

The same seller has another one up (170153143188).

naughty, naughty, someones made a mold!

T

Check out the link on Shag's news page
http://www.glltn.com/?p=1440

There's pictures of the mugs

Pages: 1 16 replies