Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

My Moai Lanai Project

Pages: 1 4 replies

I thought I would share and ask for some advice on how my lanai is coming along and how to finish it. We have officially named it "The Moai Lanai".
Ideas, Advice, Opinion and so on from the more experienced of you guys.
There are a few pictures below of what I have so far. The first one is the main attraction of the lanai and we just added the reed around the bottom the other day, we also put it around the base of the interior wall about 12" tall. The red moai's by the tub are from a 70's hanging patio light set and also are in green, yellow and white, we have battery led lights in them and can switch them out to change the mood. Hated to sacrafice a string of lights, but they have more impact just sitting here and there and my plugs are limited. I only have one.
The window over the hot tub needs something done with it, we have blinds like the ones hanging on the screen, those might work. I was thinking of using the six foot reed on the ceiling and thick bamboo to cover the seams?
There are a few lights that are solar, a green one that shines on the giant moai head and two brown ones that are next to the stairs.

This is a picture of the bar area now, I want to make a large granite one that I can have a few chairs at, this area will have to be completly redone, any and all feedback will be extremily appreciated as I don't have a clear idea yet of what we are going to do so I need your help. We were thinking of running a leg of the bar along the bottom of the window, another along the side where the fridge is and then a shorter front one to create a sideways U. We can't block the sliding glass door to the right of the window.

Thanks and can't wait to get your input. Oh and the totems flanking the window we found in Louisville last year. Got them for 65.00 for the pair. Went to the Hawaiian Inn and saw the same exact ones on stands in the coffee shop!

Looks great! The reed around the hot tub gives a real polyvive. The reed on the ceiling with bamboo trim sound good too. You could also paint the ceiling a dark brown to hide any white before you hang the reed. A stone bar top would be killer. Maybe on the "u" part you could have some shelf or storage space under the bar top for glassware and booze. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming as you add on.
PS. love the name of your project "MOAI LANAI" .....classic

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2007-09-19 17:21 ]

M

Something like that is a "to do" project I have in mind for my house. Great space!

I was looking at your pics and was thinking, if you never use the window ( I notice in the pic that the blinds are closed on the inside), maybe make a wall of bamboo from the corner of the room along the wall covering the window and then stop just past the window. Also, put another tiki torch on the other side of the window. The two tiki torches coming out of a bamboo wall behind the hot tub would look kind of cool to me, especially with the reed you already put around the base of the hot tub.
Just a thought. Your lanai looks like a great space to decorate, good luck!

[ Edited by: bamboobeavis 2007-09-26 14:28 ]

Good lookin.. I wish I had a tub to bubble in, then I'd really feel like I was in the islands...

My tip is paint paint paint. Go for something that's warm and moody, and don't be afraid of darker colors, you seem to have plenty of light in there.

Pages: 1 4 replies