Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Need some Billy Mure help!!

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hey folks,

Does anyone here have a NM "stereo" copy of the Billy Mure album "Strictly Cha Cha"?

If so PLEASE let me know.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

IZ

Wish I did, that's all I can say...

For a while I grabbed any Billy Mure, Al Caiola, Vincent Bell, Mickey Baker and Buddy Merrill that I could get for a reasonable price ($1-5).
Unfortunately that record is not among the LPs I have, sorry.

Thanks for checking everyone.

It is a really hard one to find. It took me years to locate a NM mono copy.

Hopefully one will turn up.

It is for a 2-fer CD release with "A String of Trumpets"!!! :)

I REALLY want this to happen.

If you ask me Billy Mure needs a freakin' Box Set!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

T

Hey Jeff...Check this link out on Ebay and see if this copy is Stereo.I can't tell by the picture and information listed on site is virtually nill..
http://cgi.ebay.com/STRICTLY-CHA-CHA-BILLY-MURE-AND-HIS-ORCHESTRA_W0QQitemZ280117772175QQihZ018QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Jeff, the copy on ebay is unfortunately mono (thanks Tiki Tim for the link though.) Check this one out:

http://www.musicstack.com/item/30986859/mure,billy/strictly+cha

The description is also sorely lacking important detail although the condition is right--you may be able to email the seller.

Billy Mure box--power to that idea.

Yeah, The copy on eBay, plus the one at Music Stack and even another on Gemm are all in mono. I'm thinking it was never released in Stereo but I can't be sure. The guy over at Everest Records seems to think so but the Masters were all destroyed in a fire!!

Even Billy doesn't own a copy!!

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff,

I'll try Hymies here in Minneapolis later today (a good excuse to make a trip over!). I think they have a Billy Mure section.

glen
http://www.jetsetplanet.com

Jeff,

damnit, all the evidence indicates this sucker was released in mono and stereo but boy would you have to dredge through some dusty issues of phonolog to prove it. And of course what would that prove, and who cares unless someone unearths a physical copy? It's like La Dolce Henke by Mel Henke--until Scamp reissued it noone had ever seen a stereo copy (heck, I don't think anyone had seen a non-promo copy!) What were my grandparents thinking when they didn't spring for the Magnavox stereo hi fi set? Argh! well maybe it'll turn up in time for the cd--I'll certainly keep my eyes open and the junky places I usually look are where it is most likely to be. Actually, I will be hitting the WFMU fair in November and if it ain't there....although that is probably too late for the project. Good luck and godspeed.

I have a software called Spark XL and I can clean pops and crackle pretty well with it. There are more specific audio cleaning softwares out there. I can clean up many sub nm rated records, only trombones for some reason, get destroyed in the process. But if its guitars and drums it makes a minty out of an average record. So maybe you should open up to a sub-near-mint record in you searching.

KK

IZ

On 2007-09-19 07:23, Jeff Central wrote:
Hey folks,

Does anyone here have a NM "stereo" copy of the Billy Mure album "Strictly Cha Cha"?

If so PLEASE let me know.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff, did you ever find that Stereo copy of Strictly Cha Cha? I remembered this thread when, last night, I stumbled upon Mure's String of Trumpets at half price books for a few bucks. Nice cond and stereo, too. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but if it's going to be the double burn with "Strictly" I'm curious what it's gonna be like!

~glen

Yes!! I did find a copy thanks to captainquad. I already have the "Trumpets" album in stereo but that is still a good find as it rarely turns up.

The only problem with both of these albums is that there is hardly any Billy Mure on them. I struggled to find ANY guitar on either the "Cha Cha" or "Trumpet" albums. Though they are decent albums they are hardly representative of Billy Mure's work.

The guy at Everest knows I have these now but I haven't heard from him in awhile.

Hopefully they weren't just yanking my chain.

Thanks for checking in though. It is much appreciated.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

B

Are you talking about Everest Records, Jeff?

IZ

Hi Jeff,

String of Trumpets is ok - though kinda sleepy and unfortunately a bit pedestrian - and like you pointed out "where's the guitar?" I'll be giving it another listen or two this weekend... got a few new things to check out, including Esquivel's "To Love Again," which I didn't know anything about and just picked up. Every thing I've looked at suggests "To Love Again" was only put out in mono. Do you know if it was put out in stereo? Really nice use of pedal steel guitar -- either Alvino Rey or Speedy West, I'd imagine. In later Esquivel stuff the pedal steel is basically just used for quick sylistic flourishes. In "To Love Again" the guitar is fleshed out more. Interesting to say the least

glen

Pages: 1 13 replies