Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tamas new workshop/Tikispace - the journey resumes..

Pages: 1 21 replies

Kia ora Tiki-friends. I was all set to post a few more progress piccies of the digging going on at my place, when it occurred to me that I didnt really want to foul up my carving thread (or bore anyone) with all the mud and rocks, etc. This groundbreaking is going somewhere though; eventually to be a new workshop/museum/tikispace/bar/centre of Tamas Universe/BBQ area, etc. If it turns out anything like it looks in my head, youll understand why it needs a thread of its own.. :lol:

Many of you may have seen some initial clearing work & now comes the heavy ground 'flipping' in order to break up the hard iron pan which stops the rainwater from disapating freely (and we get our fair share of rainwater), hence boggy/swampy ground. Hey it was cheap.. haha

The digger arrives on the back of a transporter, met by the driver to bring it onto the property..

So far, so good.. Welcome - Haereeee Maaiiiii....

If we can get it through that hole there without hitting anything, Ill be a very happy Tama. Current workshop is in the garage to the left; to become a master b/room once the new workshop is operational..

Laying out boards to walk the machine over the tarseal without breaking it up - gratuitous butt-shot for the layyydies, well Jen anyway.. :wink:

Ok, hold your breath..

'Ahh, Scotty - if you do have to hit something; make sure its on the other side ok?'

eek..

'Miles of room' says Scotty..

Righto Scotty, you've got the job! phew

Burying SuperBoy; my arch nemesis.. ah-hahahaaaaahaaa

The new/current view from the kitchen..

to be continued...

Tama :)

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2007-11-01 15:43 ]

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2008-04-14 02:48 ]

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2010-04-06 04:48 ]

B

I hope that digger will miss your house once again on it's way back out!

Congrats on the groundbreaking, Tama!

J

Thank you! I needed a little booty in my day! :wink: :lol:

B

Wow, Something about "Groundbreaking" and that Monster machine fitting through that NARROW Opening tend to make My heart skip a few beats and it's Not even My House. I'm sure your blood pressure was sky high all day long after that and the thought of having to go through it all again when the big guy leaves probably had you a nervous wreck all day long. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end, but getting there will really be a rough go. Keep us posted, WE want to see it ALL.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Sep 21, 2007 5:34 AM

Dont get too excited mate - they've still got to get it out :lol: Cant wait to see what you do with it

I just finished my remodel last year and have to say that all bullSh** you go thru is worth it. I spent a year in hell and have been enjoying the fruits my aggrevation. I envy the fact that you will have your own workshop - I'm stuck in the garage with no room to expand. Cheers.

C

You can't go wrong if the diver is Santa,hahaha!

Merry Christmas!

Ground broken.

After three weeks of almost unbroken rain we managed to get a couple of days without the wet stuff and the digging (and noise) continued. Santa/Scotty did a mighty job of 'flipping' all the dirt/rocks/gravels and then putting them all back together again in a freer-draining manner. There is still a little ground preparation needed where our lovely lawn is going to be, but the sheep paddocks (go ahead, joke) are nearly fenced in and are ready to be sown with grass seed. The large rocks were found at a depth of around 15feet and were kept aside to be used as garden features (might as well make use of the digger while its here - there is no way these could ever be moved by hand!)

Final placement/adjustment according to Mr & Mrs Terribles' direction..

Haere Ra..!

--

Every step brings us a little closer to Tiki.. :D

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2007-11-01 15:45 ]

T
Tipua posted on Thu, Nov 1, 2007 6:52 PM

Minus the big digger, this looks a lot like my backyard - what with the drought and water restrictions. I'm so used to the dirt I've forgotten what grass looks like! :(

As for those boulders, you COULD just leave them au natural and as is, but I'm sure you could also do something... well... Tamapoutini-ish with them. Tamafy them!

I was thinking something like this from Spirited Away:

Just an idea anyway...

[ Edited by: Tipua 2007-11-01 18:53 ]

H
Heath posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2007 7:11 AM

On 2007-11-01 15:19, Tamapoutini wrote:
... but the sheep paddocks (go ahead, joke) are nearly fenced in ...

ARE YOU CRAZY???

Have you NOT seen this movie?

B

Are you moved into your new shop YET? :lol: :lol: Have any updated pictures yet?
OK, I'll shut up and go away now!

H
Heath posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 2:32 AM

On 2007-11-19 09:51, Benzart wrote:
Are you moved into your new shop YET? :lol: :lol: Have any updated pictures yet?
OK, I'll shut up and go away now!

Well?

I'm not going to shut up and go away!

*Still no TIKIS just yet, so if you're expecting to see a grass hut turn back now.. We're on the West Coast of the South Island, Ao tea roa.. things happen slowly here - 'Coast time' they call it. Relax; it'll happen. Put some music on..

**It occurs to me also that this is pretty off-topic at present but wish to reassure that some day soon there will posts of tiki-hut-carving-cave-manspace-museum progress, which is surely relevant in a carving forum..??!! But if you wish to shunt me off to Bilge or sumsuch Ill understand..sniff

Tipua: You still around brah? I know its been a while- Would you believe that Spirited Away is (secretly) one of my all time faves? We have it on DVD and I must have watched it about a zillion times. Love those Centry-stones..!

Heath: I still havent seen that movie!! But you've reminded me so Ill make the effort soon Im sure.. :wink:

BenZ: the following is for you.. :D

--

--

So the last time we looked our friend Scotty was just performing the finals act of creative diggerwork before leaving us to our fate..

..which was "how the hell do we turn this rockpile into a lushious lawn for our beloved offspring to frollick on..?"

Answer: 'gold-fines'; washed gravels left behind local modern gold-mining operations. The gravel cost us a grand total of one dozen beers per large truckload (I kid you not!) - I think we ended up with about 8 large truckloads. Tama=happy - Goldminer=sozzled

Dig, dig, dig... puff "Hi Ho, Hi Ho..etc" (damn, thats a moody West Coast sky..)

(much nicer weather today though..) Finally weve buried those big-ass rocks and have a much nicer surfaceto play with. Not a good photo but we have now fenced off the area with electric fencewire (switched off most of the time) to protect...

our new...

little babies...

Not just a lawn - a TIKI lawn! :)

Tama

*oh yeah, and remind me to show you the wee piece of greenstone that I found in the diggings. The pile of gravels that it was found in were dug out from a depth of about 15 feet..

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Apr 14, 2008 4:37 PM

is the paint dry yet?

B

No It's Not. C'Mon I wanna Watch some MORE Paint Dry?? Post it up, Fork it Over. Bring it ON!

S

Hey! Now we can change the lead in topic to: Like watching grass grow.

T
Tipua posted on Sat, Apr 26, 2008 5:23 AM

Heya Tama,

I'm still around... still around...

Isn't Spirited Away awesome! I'm not in the least ashamed of my love for Hayao Miyazaki's films, but then again I am somewhat of a geek.
I'd love to see Hayao Miyazaki's take on the tales of Maui. That would be very cool indeed.
I think Japanese and Maori humour would be quite complimentary as they both have that pagan-like appreciation of the natural world and aren't afraid to shed a little blood.

Good to see you're making progress, no matter how slow. I'm jealous that you can find pounamu just lying around though... But what better person to find it, eh? :)

Hey Bro , when do we see the moa feeding in ya back yard .
And I ain't talking about Paddy Freaney's one either :lol:

*boy this thread took some finding. No wonder, last update was Nov '07.. :o

Now Ive blown the dust off it Ill be back to update soon.

B

COOL???

B

bumpers...

B

WELL,,, I'm Pretty sure this thread is Waaay overdue for an Update as I've seen the piccies on FB of some of it in action, Awesome new Workspace Tamma. One quick way to find a thread or post is to open the "Profile" link at the bottom of one of your posts and then look at the "View posts by this user" link and you will see every post you have aver concocted here!Easy.

Pages: 1 21 replies