Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki outdoor fireplace sculpting

Pages: 1 9 replies

G

Just a quick question. I have been inspired to build a tiki fireplace sculpture in my backyard. it will be 8' tall and will have a rebar frame. I planned on coating it with stucco, but now I am not sure if I should gunnite it. any advice on how I should go about constructing this. It will run a propane fire ring. There will be other special affects but I will not go into them until construction begins.

Pat

[ Edited by: gpwpat 2007-09-21 17:58 ]

T

I might consider building the basic structure out of block/brick and forming the outer shape with metal lathe/rebar and applying a stucco or mortar finish. For the firebox I'd use fire bricks, excessive heat can make cinder block explode on rare cases.

T

Since your design is more square than round, I would recommend steel stud construction covered in Wonderboard and stucco. Since it will be gas fire, you can use steel tubing as a flue. Constructing it this way will make it very easy to run wiring, plumbing, etc for your special effects.

G

Perfect, Thanks

I was looking at the home box store last night at materials, I saw the steel studs and was thinking on how to use them. Using the wounderboard, this is the masonry board? That would make the construction go very fast and clean, and yes keep it hollow for easy routing for effects.

Yes one step closer. can I use the wounderboard in the fir box area too? stuckoed of course. at the top go to a sheetmetal transition to a traditional steel flu.

do you understand about heating and cooling ,expanding and cotracting?if there is going to be fire in it. fire brick! TD

G

sure I understand about expansion and contraction. But here is the thing. This is a propane burner. Like a gas fireplace in a house. there is no fire brick in my gas fireplace in my house. It is all sheet metal with a sheat metal vent out the side of the house. Why can't an outside fireplace that has a gas burner more for aesthetecs than for heat have the firebox and frame made from steel. Think like a propane barBQ no firebrick in that either.

If I was burning wood. Firebrick would be the only way to go. But propane fires don't get that hot.

I may use firebrick on the sides of the firebox rather than the masonry board w/ stucko though.

ok

T
tinner posted on Mon, Nov 9, 2009 8:38 PM

this is a recycled 18ga 26"round x 47" black iron piece of left over grease duct,from my job(free-fifty-free). This smoker took me about a month and altogether 40-60 hours of mostly planning(beer drinkin)mock up cutting and welding.It is my first fire pit and I hope yawl dig.If you want one Im not fast, but i am down with the art and fired up this tiki belows with power, my next spark up I'll take picts and post. take care...602-330-3774 TINNER.tiki fireplace

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/11211/4af8f0d0.jpg[/img
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/11211/4af8f25d.jpg)

[ Edited by: tinner 2009-11-09 20:57 ]

I just hope the other special effects includes lasers.... preferably from the eyes.

Looks good Tinner, plasma cutter? I like the natural rust finish, you gonna keep him like that?

Pages: 1 9 replies