Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Finnaly carving my first Tiki

Pages: 1 2 replies

M

Finally carving my first Tiki

After buying my carving tools months ago I am finally carving my first Tiki. The wood is cherry and size is 5.5” x 19”. Please look at the attached pictures and let me know your thoughts. A few question I have right off the bat are;

1. How do I keep the wood from drying out? I wrapped the wood in plastic the first week and was removing moldy bark the second week.
  2. Are there any posts or external web sites explaining how to use all the different carving tools? So far I have done all the carving with the standard chisles I bought at Home Depot.

Any advice would be great.

Hey Micco,
Looking good! I'm not an expert or anything, but I believe you want to let the log dry out. Seal the ends w/ either paint or they actually make log end sealers! The whole drying process is tricky. I'm sure somebody will explain it to you. I keep mine in my basement to dry out debarked and sealed. Once you start to use your chisels you will see what they are capable of doing. I just started experimenting, but I'm sure there is stuff online. Your best bet is to keep searching around here on TC. Good Luck!

Craig

I had a set of those chisels. Here´s what you do. You save the gouges, sharpen them and you throw the rest in the garbage or use them as screwdrivers. Those regular straight chisels is way better.

[ Edited by: tikidreams 2007-09-24 00:05 ]

Pages: 1 2 replies