Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Archeology Help Wanted - San Diego members

Pages: 1 6 replies

I just picked up this unmarked Orchids? mug at a garage sale for 50 cents:

...which is not that interesting. But when I questioned the woman who sold it to me, she said she got it with a tropical drink at a San Diego Chinese restaurant called Shanghai in the 1970s, and that she thinks the restaurant is still around.

She remembers the rum drinks as being really good and she thinks she remembers some South Seas decor as well.

Well, I looked up the restaurant, and it still exists right where she said it did:

http://www.wcities.com/en/record/95,109471/63/record.html

"Since 1974, this Chinese restaurant has been serving reasonably priced, gourmet Mandarin-style dishes. The decadently rich Shrimp and Candied Walnuts is memorable enough to make the mouth water months later. The Mandarin Gourmet dinner begins with a tray of appetizers to self-cook over a volcano-like brazier brought to your table. Very inexpensive lunch specials make this a popular lunch spot with the local business crowd in the Mission Valley area. There is a full bar, with signature tropical cocktails."

So my questions are:

1. Have any of our San Diego members ever visited this restaurant and could they give us a report of what tiki influence (if any) still exists?
  2. If not, would someone be willing to visit and let us know if a) there is any Polynesian decor in the place at all, b) Do they still serve their drinks in Tiki Mugs, and c) How do their "signature tropical cocktails" stack up?

Anyone interested?

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2007-09-23 17:02 ]

If I get the chance this coming weekend I'll try and hit the place for dinner. Any other San Diegans wanna go?

A

Your info shows this restaurant being located in Hazard Center. But this shopping center was built in the 1980s, so the restaurant must have been located elsewhere when it started in '74.

Back in the early 1990s I worked close to the Hazard center and visited the restaurant many times. It was a typical Chinese restaurant in food, drink and decoration. No South Seas or Polynesian theming.

My 88 year old next door neighbor thinks that it used to be in the Midway district back in the day. I also asked my pop, and he seems to think it was either on Midway or University. I wonder if the old coots down at the historical society in Balboa Park would have an old phone book lying around?

Buzzy

The woman at the garage sale mentioned University. It's a shame the old location is gone. Thanks for all the info so far.

Pages: 1 6 replies