Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mug I.d please

Pages: 1 5 replies

HH

any ideas where this came from?I've never seen it but that doesnt mean much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2157547040&category=29460

M

Something is telling me these mugs were connected to the U of Hawaii, or some such colege in HI. Maybe not...could just be the usual voices in my head.

Not sure, but if it was Final Jepoardy I'd be writing "What were U of Hawaii mugs" and then I'd smack Trebeck for being such a smug SOB all these years.

midnite

T

Speaking of Jeopardy, does anyone else think the questions, or should I say answers, have been dumbed down the last 5 or 10 years.

DZ

Although I've seen it on eBay a few times, I'm not sure where the mug is from. The bottle cork is from Hawaiian Distillers (it's marked on the back), so the mug may be as well. I picked one up about a year ago and haven't seen another one since. For some reason, the bottle cork/topper has a hook at the top, I guess so you can hang it like an ornament? I have a few other ceramic cork/toppers with this hook - what's the deal?

"The spirit of Hawaii" was the slogan Hawaiian Distillers used for Okolehao (yum) and as their slogan in general. So these might have been part of a set with one of their liquor bottles.

But also: WHO came up with the "Suck'em up" slogan? I remember seeing it first in conjunction with drink stirrers from Don Ho's venues....

HH

suck'm up, a very hawaiian saying, I havent heard it on the mainland, but back home its ppart of drinking.

Thanks for all the insight.

Pages: 1 5 replies