Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Frankoma Mug

Pages: 1 7 replies

Hey Gang,

I was just going thru my mugs, getting ready to display them, when I came across a Frankoma mug. Being a newbie, I never thought this was anything until I started to see folks tell me they're collectible in another thread.

So, can anyone tell me about this mug? On the under-side it says Frankoma 7CL and it looks like a moss colored coffee mug. I did a search through the threads, and on Ooga-Mooga, but found nothing.

Thanks!

Rick

Picture please?

Here's a quote about Frankoma Pottery from Ooga-Mooga:

Frankoma Pottery is still open today, and has been producing items since 1933, but they produced Polynesian serveware for only a brief time. They were originally contracted to create items for Club Trade Winds in Tulsa, OK. They added some of their designs to their regular catalog (notably the "Frankoma War God"), and also produced a few items for a short-lived tiki location called The Cultured Pearl, also in Tulsa. Frankoma is based out of Sapulpa, Oklahoma, and the Polynesian designs were by Joniece Frank.

I guess I should have taken a picture first.

Here's one of the mug alone.

Here's one with a friend. I just couldn't resist... LOL

Bogielocks,

What you've got there is a nice mug in the Frankoma "Mayan" or "Aztec" pattern. Frankoma had several different patterns of ceramics and the one that is sought after by the tiki collectors is the "Club Tradewinds" line. Frankoma designed a series of Polynesian/Tiki style ceramics for the Club Tradewinds restaurant in Tulsa, Oklahoma back in the 1960s, including mugs, serving dishes, salt shakers, etc. Then they continued to produce the designs without the "Club Tradewinds" logo and added them to their general production for the public. The mug that most folks like best is the Frankoma "War God" mug from this line. Here's a link showing all the different pieces in this line:

http://tulsatvmemories.com/frankoma.html

Items with the "Club Tradewinds" logo on them are rare and very hard to find. However, unmarked items in this line, especially the coconut mugs and clam shells, can be found rather cheaply. Any type of War God, marked or unmarked will command a high price on eBay. The ceramics were also produced for another tiki restaurant called The Cultured Pearl in even smaller numbers and these are the rarest of all.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2007-09-28 21:03 ]

T

Nice Link Sabu thanks for adding it here. Maybe someday I will have one of those amazing war god mugs!

Tikisgrl

Gotta luv dat Zuni Warrior!!!

Thanks for the help everybody!

On 2007-09-29 16:44, FreddieBallsomic wrote:
Gotta luv dat Zuni Warrior!!!

Thanks Fred! He can be a terror sometimes...

Pages: 1 7 replies