Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

October San Diego Chop Chop 13th in O'side

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies

M
mieko posted on Sat, Sep 29, 2007 5:04 PM

New Info:
Looks like we've decided on the 13th at Bill's in Oceanside. Please PM me or 4WDTiki if you need directions. RVSP on the thread, let everyone know if you can bring some food or drink to share.

Old Info:
Looks like we've got a couple of options for the October Chop. The dates and locations that look best now are October 6th or 7th at my house in Tierrasanta, or we can do the 13th or 14th at Bill's in Oceanside.

Chime in if you have a preference and we'll try to pick what's best for the most people.

tropicaldesignsbymieko.com

[ Edited by: mieko 2007-10-01 16:35 ]

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Sep 30, 2007 4:56 AM

I vote Mieko's, and Bill's (or Babalu's?) in November.

Here's the other question - should we have a pumpkin chop - the first weekend is kind of early for Halloween - or do a Witco chop?

A Witco Chop is where anybody who wants to jump in does a Witco sculpture as fast as they can, and we turn it into a original mid-century hangable or freestanding piece of art using the genuine patented Witco process in 15 minutes flat.

I've been told to use 'white cedar' and I want to make a Clama. With knots for eyes. Making a mask (a Tiki Head) direct from the Witco catalogue and framing it is always an original thought. Nobody's done that before.

Was Witco sandblasted, or burn and wire scraped?

Do we oil the final, or stain and poly it?

I was wondering, does Svengod's book actually describe the process?

The 7th and the 14th are the only days I can do. I have to work on the 6th and the 13th.

B

Wished I could make Oct...who knows, maybe something will fall out for me and I'll be able to show...it's just to soon to tell right now.

Witco. Well, you know my guess...I think the stuff was hit quickly with a sand blaster. I might get shot for saying this, but I'm not a huge Witco fan...some of it I like...I mean if someone were going to recreate the King's Jungle Room in my house, I wouldn't object. Some of the kitty stuff makes me dizzy.

Speaking of kitties, it's my wife movie pic night...which means some kind of "girl and her kitty" kind of thing. I feel dizzy.

B

I can make it for any of those dates in October.

HT

On 2007-09-30 04:56, Cammo wrote:
I vote Mieko's, and Bill's (or Babalu's?) in November.

A Witco Chop is where anybody who wants to jump in does a Witco sculpture as fast as they can,

WITH KNOTS FOR EYES.

Did someone need Knot's????

Iam in. Anytime and date.

I'm up for either, and up for both.

Buzzy Out!

I'm down for both, man.

C

13th works better for me...still unpacking all my stuff..

M
mieko posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2007 2:55 PM

On 2007-10-01 11:00, Billy the Crud wrote:
I'm down for both, man.

Both! You guys are nuts!!

Are other people interested in having 2 chops? 7th at my house for those who need a Sunday, 13th at Bill's for people who can do Saturdays?

People can show up to either or both as they desire?

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2007 3:10 PM

Mebbe that's a good idea. Saturdays are best for me.

We've already had mini-chops like the Hot Rod under the Nut Trees show, why not two come as you can ones?

T

Hey guys. Looks like I'm the only person with the Saturday conflict. I might be able to swing a half day and get there by noon, but please don't try to schedule around my restrictions.

H

Mieko,I am out of town on Sunday the 7th otherwise it would have been great. Thanks for thinking of me.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2007-10-01 16:27 ]

M
mieko posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2007 4:32 PM

Sounds like the 13th will be better for an official chop at Bill's house in O'side!

If anyone is interested in a non-official mini-chop at my house on Sunday, lemme know. Especially if they might want to help me move a big heavy TV down from my upstairs room. :)

:up: aHA! The truth comes out! :wink:

Sundays are out for me, deep into football season, plus the wife wont be home in time to make it down in a reasonable time, soooo, I'll try to make it down for the O'side chop the 13th, but again for me, it depends on how late we work Friday nite. Bowana-Dave, see how many excuses I can come up with!! Aaaa-chaaa-chaaa-chaaa, I got a million of 'em!

T

On 2007-10-01 15:44, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Hey guys. Looks like I'm the only person with the Saturday conflict. I might be able to swing a half day and get there by noon, but please don't try to schedule around my restrictions.

WHAT???? You mean the bionic woman of carving is finally missing a chop chop!!!
I know what you mean about the "job" thing though...let's buy a lottery ticket and call in rich>

T

On 2007-10-02 09:29, tikihai wrote:
WHAT???? You mean the bionic woman of carving is finally missing a chop chop!!!
I know what you mean about the "job" thing though...let's buy a lottery ticket and call in rich>

Hey. I had a really good run. I made it to every single Chop for an entire year. It had to end sometime.

barring any burglaries count me and my pops in on the 13th.

H

I can't make either. :(

Hey, guys.
Still LOTS of great logs at my new log site and more to come. BIG freakin' logs, man. I'll be taking a trip out later this week if anyone wants to follow.

M
mieko posted on Wed, Oct 3, 2007 11:24 AM

Log site? ooo, where?
Just got a call from a guy who is taking down a 35-40 foot tree sometime this month in Casa de Oro (Spring Valley) and offered us the logs. Anyone need some? Anyone want to help me load and move them to my place?

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Oct 3, 2007 12:57 PM

You know, maybe we should think about this log stash stuff. We could ideally have a central drop site. When we get a line on a log we could muscle it over there to dry out; we could just keep the primo ones. I've got three right now at the side of the house, and no room for more. (Two are drying.)

Ideally, the central site would:

a) keep the logs off the ground
b) we can store them there for a year to dry out
c) we can strip them first to help the drying, or have a seperate pile for the stripped ones to dry another few months
d) we could write our names on the bottom of some, as well as contribute to the general stock for everybody
e) it could be closer to everybody

Buzzy's Big Stash is great, but we've been hearing about really thick/old palm logs up for grabs that I'd sure like to try sometime.

B

Yeah Billy, where?!

Mieko, Casa De Oro is not far from me. I may be able to help you.

Dave, you'd have to go up with me because it's private property. Buzzy and I are going up this week, so lets coordinate and all go together. If anyone in the south needs logs hauled, I can volunteer my truck, but you'll have to pay for the gas......this thing is eating a hole in my wallet with it's 3-90 gears!! I'll be swapping it over to an overdrive tranny pretty soon and it won't be quite so bad.
Let me know, guys!!!

On 2007-10-03 10:33, Billy the Crud wrote:
Hey, guys.
Still LOTS of great logs at my new log site and more to come. BIG freakin' logs, man. I'll be taking a trip out later this week if anyone wants to follow.

So what part of the county is this place?

Also, cut/pasted from the other thread:

• Cammo wrote:*
    As an incentive, whosoever has the next Chop, I'm donating one freshly baked Fall-style item. They're all made from scratch, no mixes. For instance, I grind my own cinnamon. These will be baked directly at the person's home, so they'll be served hot. I'll bring all the ingredients, you just provide an oven.

Chop Host can choose 1 and only 1 from:

• Ritz Hotel New York Cheesecake
  • Vermont Quiche (nice for brekkie)
  • Nut Tarts (small, go great with coffee)
  • Pumpkin Pie, Maple Syrup sweetened
  • Chocolate Pecan Pie

Pumpkin Pie would be the obvious and appropriate choice for October, but I gotta go with the cheesecake. :D

Here, here, on the cheesecake. That's good shyte right there!

The log site is in Rancho San Diego. East county. Bring yer meth!

B
Bowana posted on Wed, Oct 3, 2007 9:06 PM

On 2007-10-03 14:01, Billy the Crud wrote:
Dave, you'd have to go up with me because it's private property. Buzzy and I are going up this week, so lets coordinate and all go together.
[/quote

When are ya planning on going?

Buzzy and I are going tomorrow morning, so if you have to work I can meet up with you another time. OR, I can grab you a couple and you can cruise by my house to get them.

You live near Casa De Oro, by Spring Valley/Lamesa? The log site is very near there.

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Oct 3, 2007 9:39 PM

Me too! Me too! Babalu = big truck...mucho power. How big's the pile? These tree guys are great aren't they. What time?

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-10-03 21:40 ]

Yo Billy: I think that since these other guys want to go we should do this on the weekend sometime. No sense in these guys taking off a day of work for a pile of logs that will be there for the next few months(or so...) And, no sense in us two doing all the work when these guys are willing to help.

4WD: These are the same logs from the same guy I met on monday. Most the clean ones are gone already. :wink:

Buzzy

Damn...I scheduled a Garage Sale on the 13th -- I'm going to try and unload some of my Halloween stuff -- I need the cash these days!

On 2007-10-03 22:01, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Yo Billy: I think that since these other guys want to go we should do this on the weekend sometime. No sense in these guys taking off a day of work for a pile of logs that will be there for the next few months(or so...) And, no sense in us two doing all the work when these guys are willing to help.

4WD: These are the same logs from the same guy I met on monday. Most the clean ones are gone already. :wink:

Buzzy

Agreed. We can do it on Saturday, after the swap-meet. Sunday, we're going to Seaworld. I've got a couple of extra free passes if anyone wants to tag along.

On 2007-10-04 10:17, Billy the Crud wrote:
We can do it on Saturday, after the swap-meet.

Me and Babalu got a secret mission/project going on Saturday morning. :(

Buzzy

On 2007-10-04 10:54, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2007-10-04 10:17, Billy the Crud wrote:
We can do it on Saturday, after the swap-meet.

Me and Babalu got a secret mission/project going on Saturday morning. :(

Buzzy

Saturday evening, man. Round 3pm or so, I think.

T

I'm back! Been busy the last few days. Anyway, me Mum's birthday is the 13th, so I'm gonna have to go hang out with my folks. Sorry to miss the chop. There's always November, right?

Logs today. PM me before 2:pm if you want to go and I'll tell you where to meet me. It will be Lemon Grove area and we will be driving to Rancho San Diego, about five miles down the 94.

Log trip is cancelled. I'll be going on Friday instead, to get logs for the chop.

B
Bowana posted on Sat, Oct 6, 2007 8:29 PM

Sorry Billy, I was not near a computer today and didn't get the message.

If anyone went to the La Mesa Octoberfest, you could not have missed this. It's a Tiki playhouse that is being raffled off. The lucky winner gets it for their own back yard and little Jr. will be the most popular kid on the street.

Hmmm....maybe that sign should read "Tiki NUT".

Dave, PM me your number and we can go on a log run later this week if you have the time.

Well, here's the poop for me! Due to the upcoming writers strike, our shooting schedule has been advanced to 6 days each week through November, which knocks me out of any chops this month. It's hard to pass up the money when the Holidays are just around the corner, and the 6th day is All OT, and I still find time to carve lil' guys, while getting paid! Have fun, post pics, eat, drink and be merry, think kindly of me, and watch "Carpoolers" Tuesday nights on ABC! (That's my show! It's new and needs help since Cavemen bombed!)

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2007 6:25 AM

Hey All,

I was out working in the shop yesterday, and this tree removal dude stopped in as he saw carving stuff happening...he was wanting to know if I would want logs. We exchange numbers etc. Sounds like this fella will be a good future connection. It also sounds like we may have to fly to his removal sites on relatively short notice, but hey, add yet another player to our list.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2007 6:51 AM

The more the merrier, but I still say we need a central drop site for just such windfalls.

TBird - telecyberchopcommute! Chop with us and send (almost) realtime photos. All the rage wit da cool kids!

T

Telecyberchopcommute, I'm all over it! As long as we're on stage I can do that.

Here's tiki #10, guys!!!(almost finished)His name is "Scar" for obvious reasons.

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Oct 9, 2007 4:31 PM

Sweeet Crud Master, sweet! You just a turning and burning these days!

So the chop is this Saturday, a reminder in case you all forgot with all this thread hijacking. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies