Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Other bone carvings - 2008

Pages: 1 36 replies

Dear Friends,

Here are som images of my first Moai, a friend from NZ asked me to carve him one and in my research of images I lurked some of our Masters´ works here at TC. Paipo´s and Cabanilla´s works really inspired me A LOT! Thanks for that friends.
So, I´m posting some pictures hoping to receive your comments on him, please if you feel that you must make a critic comment, please, go ahead and feel free to make it. I need to make some cleaning and finish the head holes, I´m doing them by hand because I don´t want to ruin it. Next time I´ll post some pictures of the five tools that I´m using to carve it. I use one chisel and four Stephen Myhre´s number one tool in different sizes. The Moai is 4,9 x 2,1 x 0,8 cm (almost 2 inches tall).

Hope you like him!

Hugs,

Sebas

[ Edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2007-10-05 09:51 ]

[ Edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2008-12-08 05:54 ]

[ Edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2008-12-08 06:08 ]

B

Excellent work Sebastian! It looks like you are an experienced carver, you got such perfect detail on this guy. Do you have any other pieces you care to show us>
WELCOME to Tiki Central!

C

Very nice! Congrats!! What kind of bone do you use?
I'm very happy to see an other Argentinian here! Best wishes!!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Oct 1, 2007 3:30 PM

Wow, nice work...thanks for the credit for some of the inspiration. You have done a really good job of squeezing a bold form into a flat slab of bone. I really like the subtle relief work on the back - beautifully executed. The only critique I can offer (and this is a matter of personal preference I guess) is that the fingers are usually very long and tapered rather than naturalistic, and they are one of my favourite embellishments of the Rapa Nui style.
I'm sure you must have more to share with us...I saw some of your braiding tutorials on the carver's path just the other day. (Small world!) It's also great to see someone using gravers on TC. A friend of mine in Japan is a superb netsuke carver, and gleaned much of his early knowledge and techniques from Stephen Myhre's book.

Hi folks!
Dear Benzart, thanks for the post, I´ve been carving for some years nw but this whole year has been a little different from the rest. Thanks for the detail comments, I use two different Optivisor magnifiers a 5x and a 10x for the small details. I have some photos that I will post in the next days, I already post some works in my presentation post and on the Maori meaning post also. Right now I´m starting some new carvings, so more photos will be posted.
Dear Clarita! Amiga! Of course that is nice to see somebody else from Argentina in this big TC family! As I told you in the PM I use cow bone from the legs. I don´t use the bones from the cow "hands" though.
Dear Paipo, Master Carver from Aotearoa, thanks for the post, I´m flattered by your comments and critics about my Moai. We have some descent cows and you can get a nice slab from them, though we eat them very young and if you get an older bone the slab can be thicker. As for the fingers, you are absolutely right, this is actually the "second" Moai, my first one decided to FLY once that it was almost finished and he had his fingers long tappered, but he suicide himself on my workshop floor... :( As I told Benzart, I have some other pictures to share. Oh yes, TCP is my first Forum and I keep a special place for it and their artist. As for Kumihimo, well, is the kind of braids that I use, you can imagine that by living in Soth America, the only thing that we really know about the Polynesia are the All Blacks and the Moai, the rest of the culture is an entire world to discover. I read that Cabanilla use a hawaiian braiding style but I couldn´t see it in the internet yet. I only use gravers, as I told in the post, chisels and SM´s tools, I couldn´t figure out how the number 2 looks like, if you have any clue, PLEASE help me in this one. I did my tools with silver steel and then hardened and quenched it (is this how you write it? Hope so) I use Arkansas stones to keep them sharp and they can hold it very well. Carve bone is not easy as you need very sharp tools every time. Wow, Netsuke is not for amateurs. Have you ever tried to do some netsuke in stone? I´m sure that some japanese collectors would be interested in your pieces. I want to get another book but it´s out of print, it´s called Treasured Taonga, do you know it?
Well, Thanks for all the comments and the time spent looking at my pictures. Tomorrow I´ll take a photo of my tools.
Hugs,

Sebas

I think your moai is turning out very well, very nicely formed Moai with interesting proportions, he's seems almost to be a sort of Moai/buddha/bodhisatva...
OHM!
ST

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 2, 2007 1:12 AM

Very nice carvings! But the birdman on the back are the highlight - they really set it off. Welcome to TC!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 2, 2007 4:02 AM

Sebastian,

That is a mighty fine looking Moai. Very elegant. I agree with Paipo about the fingerz, but I don't think they stand out or detract from the piece. They actually fit in there quite nicely. I love the shallow relief work too; it really shows your skill level. I have one of Big Benz's Moai carvings here and it has Birdmen on the back also. I often leave him in "time-out" so I can see the work back there :) .

Bravo Sebastian.....please show us more!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-10-02 04:04 ]

T

Very nice job, I like the body shape and the precise carving on the back.

Hi friends,

First I want to thank you all for your comments about my carvings, to tell you the truth I didn´t expect your answers so soon, so, Thanks Again.
Sneakytiki, thanks for your point about proportion, I did study the real Moai and I used my "eye measuring" to keep his proportions. I did a version of the small ones where the head is almost 2 1/2 times repeated to do his body. Thanks for the comparission with Buda, I think that maybe his expression is a peacefull one, sort of Buda-meditation-expression-like. :P
Hewey, for phrase is GREAT! Couldn´t agree more with it. I thought about "tattooing" his back, thought those Moais aren´t the originally ones "tattooed" those were the ones with hats. But, hey, all is valid in name of art!
GMAN, yeah you´re right about the fingers as Paipo said, but once that the arms were lined I did the wrong angle to do his fingers long, so I decided to go on a more human-like hands design. Do you have a photo of your Moai? I´m curious about it. :wink:
Tahitiki, Thanks for the comment, If you look at it I wanted to do a male anf female Manu Tangata on his back. The one on the left is supposed to look like the and the right one as the boy, one is thicker and the other has subtle lines and eyes.
Well, as I promissed here are the photos of the tools I use. The chisels are 3,5 mm, from there you can have an idea of the rest. The files are the ones used in that particular carving but I have some more, ten more to be precise. They have a "medium" grain. (is that how you call it about files?)

Oh yes, and a Little fellow that was walking in my garden...

He´s 3 cm long and is a Tityus Trivitattus (you know about it because he have three strands on his back) He´s poisonous and can deadly to small creatures.

What makes you know that he´s bad is that little second "tip" on his tail. :o

Hope you like the photos!

Hugs,

Sebas

[ Edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2007-10-03 10:52 ]

[ Edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2007-10-09 08:18 ]

C

That was crawling in your garden?!!! men!! and you have little kids don't you? wow!!!!Best wishes Sebastian!Post more pics of your tiki bone carving when you can, please!

HEY THERE CLARITA!
Yes, they crawl and visit the bathrooms and other humid places, but there´s one thing worst though, they never come alone, always in pairs, at least is what people says... You know the phrase: Vox Populi, Vox Dei. :wink: As for my chidlren, well, I´m not Tarzan, but I showed them this one and explained them that if they see one the best thing is to go in the opposite direction, rather than kill it.
Right now I´m carving a Manaia so by the end of the week I´ll post some pictures for you.
Hugs,

Sebas

[ Edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2007-10-09 08:22 ]

Very nice Moai! Cab got me into bone carving, too!

B

Thanks for showing us those tools. They are interesting and I'd Love to Hold them and use them once/ Thanks for the Scorpy picture too a nice bedtime thought!.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 10, 2007 2:23 PM

"Do you have a photo of your Moai? I´m curious about it."

Yeah, here are a few pics. This is Big BenZart #13.

-G

Dear Basement Kahuna,
Great carvings you have made and thanks for the comment.
Dear Ben,
Next post I´ll take some better shots of the tools, not so "panoramic", and you can be sure about loving to hold them and carving with them!!!! :D
Dear Gman,
What can I say, Thanks for the photos, and I know what I´m not going to carve again after seeing Big Ben´s Moai. :P A loooooong way ahead of me!
Thanks for the posts.
Hugs,
Sebas

Dear Friends,
Long time without posting... I know, I have been busy lately but never stoped carving. Here are two photos of some works. Hope you like them.
By the way I am always using my same tools plus a new chisel that I made last month, next time I will post a photo of it. :wink:
Any comments, please, are more than welcome!

This is a Modern Maori design ( Not mine of course ) that was order from Spain:

Here is my last baby. This one is living in Portland, Oregon. Two Longfin Mako Sharks:

Sizes: 4.3x3.5x0.5 cm (Sorry about the inches... :P)

HUGS,
Sebas

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Dec 8, 2008 6:46 AM

Ohhhhhhh. That hits me right in the heart. I did all my grad work on sharks and work with them as a professional now. I have a thing for longfins. That is absolutely stunning. WOW! You made my day today. Thanks for sharing! Have any more pics of that piece? Post 'em?

-G

The carvings look Great!
those two sharks are top notch!

Great stuff Sebastian, can't decide what piece i like best.
Keep spoiling us with pics of your work. And keep putting up pics of them creepy crawlers, they are as scary as they are beautiful.

Dear Friends,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR WORDS!
GMAN To be honest with you I only knew about the Mako sharks when my client asked me to carve them and they are GREAT! The worst part of carving them was the muscles on the back... I mean, to make them with proportion and projection as not easy. Unfortunately this is the only front phot that I have, I will post a photo of the back, though is not carved. THANKS!
Tiki Duddy THANK YOU TOO!
Grapa-RuHa, HEY, I will post some more photos this week, but just for you to know, they were gone this year! I have not seen one since last year!!! :o But I will take another insects photos for you! :wink: THANKS!!!!
See you next post,
Hugs,
Sebas

C

oh very nice Seba, Super neat! Congrats!

B

Sebastian, REALLY Nice stuff, I'm Happy seeing you still bringing us such great stuff, Don't forget the toolz :D.

S

Very nice love the two-fer thing going on NICE!

HEY!!!!!!!!!
THANKS FOR THE WORDS!!!!!!
Clarita, HOW ARE YOU GIRL?!? Hope that more than fine!
Ben, ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO HAVE WORDS FROM YOU! :wink: Tool pic this weekend, stay tuned! ;P
Seeksurf! Thank you for your comment, but only one thing (I know that this may sound strange, but could you explain the "two-fer" word? I´m sorry, not being native sometimes does not help understanding some expressions :$)
SO, this weekend I´ll post some more photos!
HUGS,
Sebas

[ Edited by: Sebastian Urresti 2008-12-13 05:08 ]

Dear Friends,
As I promised on the last post here I have some new pictures. Not tools yet because I could not take them this weekend... SORRY!
But here I have two of my last orders, HOPE YOU LIKE THEM!
First one a Toki with a Celtic knot, I think that I spent more time drawing it than carving it... :o The Knot is 1,2 cm.

Second one a Traditional Toki with two Koru. Is very nice to carve fronds but difficult to do two! I think that we can say that they look alike... (:P) LOL!

HOPE YOU LIKE THEM!!!!!!!!!
HUGS,
Sebas

T

Very nice Sebastian! The rope work tying the pieces is almost as stunning as the carvings themselves. I like the makos too. 8)

:o Thats Amazing. I would definitely tie myself up. :)

Dear Friends,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR WORDS!!!!
So you like the lashings? I really enjoy doing them too. If you want I can make a tutorial on the braids? How´s that, huh? Let me know about it. :wink:
Ok, here´s my last work so far, I did this to a friend and co-worker that is pregnant.
Hope you like it!

That was a nice carving to do, as usual I did it with my regular hand tools.

Today I took a photo of my tools but I need to make it smaller to fit here. I´ll do it on the next days, sorry for the delay.
HUGS,
Sebas

B

Sebastian, Excellent pieces, Yes Always difficult to do 2 of anything face to face like your fronds! I Love your cord work and a tutorial woud be ,I'm Sure, well received and used by many of us here. Can't wait to see how you make all this great stuff!

Hey Sebas,
Real nice carvings you show us once again.
As temperatures have dropped to just a few degrees above freezing I decided to concentrate on carving some smaller stuff and try some stone and bone while I'm at it. Posted my first stone a couple of days ago and loved carving it so much, I'm on my third stone now. Bone will soon follow.
A tutorial on creating these cords would be highly anticipated by me (as well as a lot of others) as i want to make pendants out of most of the small stuff i carve. I have some basic skill in making braids but a few pointers on the way you do these complex cords would be GREAT!

Dear Friends,
Here is the thing, as I posted last year and on my last two posts (I think...) I took a photo of my tools, though I have some more I only use those:

From left to right:
1 - S.M. tool
2 - S.M. tool
3 - Small chisel
4, 5 and 6 - Regular chisels (those are 3,5 mm)
The first two are from silver steel (I think it is like that in English and correct me if I am wrong) They cut lines, grooves and are wonderful to bring desings "up" (alto-relieve...). The small one was grounded manually using Arkansas stones and was an old dental piece used by my dentist (THANK YOU FOR THAT ONE!). The other three were bought from a blacksmith in Buenos Aires, Mister Stassen.

Hope you like them I LOVE THEM! :)
Hugs,
Sebas
P.S. Guys, I am doing the Kumihimo tutorial. Stay tuned!

B

Sebastian, Thanks for showing us your tools, it's always great to see the tools artists use to create their stuff and it's Amazing how few tools we Really need to do so much. Now we would love to see the whole work space,, Bench, tools , mess, projects underway and everything else there. Thanks.
Happy Holidays

YES, someone PLEASE do a cord tutorial!!
Thanks for showing your tools, stuff looks brilliant!

Sebastian,

Very clean and beautiful work!

Love the sharks!

Wow! Your work is awesome.

S
s!q posted on Tue, Dec 23, 2008 2:52 PM

really awesome carvings. i am really impressed with the tools you use for your art creations, you achiever very nice and impressive detail for non rotary tools.

Pages: 1 36 replies