Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Help me identify this hanging lamp - OA - Orchids ??

Pages: 1 11 replies

So here is a fun "Tiki Find" - Lets just say I had my eye on for a bit and it magically landed in my possession - no I did not steal it! It is not officially from any bar and my guess is that it was once used as a prop in some type of Trade show or something. I looked through the Oceanic arts catalog post 1972 - and it looks close to the 2321-C heres the link - http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17767&forum=5&hilite=oceanic%201972

NEXT Question whoever used this in the past the bulb burned the bottom tapa a bit so what is the best bulb watt and size to use for this guy?

thanks in advance
pics:

bottom

this is from oceanic arts...i know because I own 2 from the old rock-a-tiki bar i designed here in chciago....i ordered all the lighting from oceanic arts and there were about 4 of these style lamps...one hung in the hallway by the rest rooms and that lamp also suffered a burn in the bottom cause they either used a bulb that was too big or had too much wattage and it damaged the lamp....

oh yeah...try a 40 watt ceiling fan lightbulb...this lamp was designed for ambience, not for reading a menu by.....

TD

they look great wiyh 40 watt, yellow, party lights in them.

For what it's worth - I would go lower wattage than 40. I use MAX 25 watts in the globes for ambiance and heat issues. if you go with a compact flourescent - you don't have to worry about heat, they never really get that hot.

Yellow is a great idea and ikea (yukea) actually sells some very nice small, compact flourescent, colored bulbs for about $10 in a pack of two. I think the wattage output is like 7 or 10 or something really low like that.

Looks like OA to me too and it's in really good shape if it is vintage. great score sj!

some before and after shots of the OA lamp in action - You may recognize a few other trinkets
no lamp w/ flash BEFORE

no lamp no flash BEFORE

with new lamp w/ flash AFTER

with new lamp no flash AFTER

sidewayz before

sidewayz after

I can see the reflection of your nude body in the mirror you freak!!!!

..just kiddin.

There is an amazing history to that lamp you posted. It is designed by Ingo Maurer, and was sold through the George Kovaks lighting company.

They were often used in Kon Tiki restaurants.

possibly true, but it looks too new to be vintage...probably made by Oceanic arts as you can still buy them new from there, even today.....the shells on this lamp are not even nicotine stained!!..and we all know how much cigarette smoking went on in vintage tiki bars...most vintage lamps will have a brownish sheen all over it from being in those polluted enviornments for so long....

Found one on Galveston Island this weekend!
Seems new to me - no staining at all. Antique shop's owner, when i asked if he knew any history, answered, "Looks like some hobby project."

"Uh huuuh," I lyingly concurred.

How i wish I could say it came from the now destroyed Balinese Room, but it would have been shards and splinters had it come from there.

Mine is missing his "hat," though. Time to find a topper!
F

Great find! I'm jealous.

-Z

C

On 2009-05-27 13:36, Formikahini wrote:
F
Mine is missing his "hat," though. Time to find a topper!
F

OA carries them - I used one to rehab my Rain Lamp - just give them a call :)

Pages: 1 11 replies