Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Samoa Apia 1942 War Club ?

Pages: 1 3 replies

G

Hello all ,
I got this club from my Grandfather that served with the 1st Marines in WWII and when I got this yesterday I thought it was something that he carved while on the island. Quote "I don't believe that the war club was something made by your grandfather or any other marine, nor do I believe it was made for him. It appears to be a tribal war club from Samoa. It also looks to be much older than World War II vintage. I have no idea of value but am quite sure that it is much more valuable than a tourist type souvenir!"
The club is about 19"long 1" wide on the bottom and looks to be 2" at the top .Can anyone help with a ID on this club wood type(this thing is heavy) and its value ?
Thanks,
Matt-

G

Does anyone have a idea of where I can go to get some info on the club?

Welcome aboard Gutkowski,
Try posting in the "Creating Tiki" forums. Some of the talented folks that spend most of their time there might have some info. Also put something in the title asking for help identifying the piece.
Looks like a very nice piece to me and the fact that your grandfather brought it home makes it that much better.
Aloha,
:tiki:

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 9, 2007 12:37 PM

It is what it is...a WW2 souvenir piece of pretty mediocre quality. I'm no ethnographical curator, but I have seen a lot of the real thing in auction catalogues and museums. The fact it has some family history and a connection to you makes it special though.
PS finds shouldn't be posted in "Creating"..."Collecting Tiki" is the place to get info about mystery objects.

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-10-09 12:38 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies